Sponsored by:

PASM vs. SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 07:45 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, I understand that from my days building cars. Interesting that Porsche list different body heights for the Turbo, GTS, and S with the Turbo sitting the highest.

Lots of variables at play there of course but the weird thing is that the GTS has the SPASM as standard, if you adjust the S the same amount then by the book it actually sits .2" lower than a GTS. What to make of that I don't know!
Interesting observation about the overall heights of the different variants. Comparing the base Carrera, Carrera-S and turbo between them, the height variances seem directly correlated to the variance in tire sizes (rolling diameter). The oddball is the GTS that is quoted to be the same height as the turbo despite having the the lowered S-PASM standard with the same tires as the CS. I seriously doubt they made the GTS ride higher than the CS.

It doesn’t change anything about the function of helper springs though…

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-20-2022 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Selfmademan (07-19-2023)
Old 07-20-2022, 09:48 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
My dealership did not have any regular PASM cars in stock when I placed my order. I was about to switch to SPASM after seeing pictures of the wheel gap online, but for some reason, the gap seems exaggerated in photos. In-person, it does not look as bad as photos suggest. Unless you put it side-by-side next to a SPASM equipped model, you don't notice it.
Here is my wheel gap on PASM. Hope to rectify that "problem" very soon. Just too much for my personal taste. SPASM is a little better but I would likely still want it a little lower.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Here is my wheel gap on PASM. Hope to rectify that "problem" very soon. Just too much for my personal taste. SPASM is a little better but I would likely still want it a little lower.
That does look pretty high, but I'm a little OCD about ride height. That angle is always going to be brutal when it comes to wheel gap.

With all the black accents, lowering your car will look really good.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:39 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Interesting observation about the overall heights of the different variants. Comparing the base Carrera, Carrera-S and turbo between them, the height variances seem directly correlated to the variance in tire sizes (rolling diameter). The oddball is the GTS that is quoted to be the same height as the turbo despite having the the lowered S-PASM standard with the same tires as the CS. I seriously doubt they made the GTS ride higher than the CS.

It doesn’t change anything about the function of helper springs though…
that’s true, helper springs do ‘help’. My issue has always been that people take what Porsche said about those and make out that somehow the GTS now has ‘Turbo’ suspension, as if that’s really any different to say a base C2. Great marketing by Porsche, that’s all.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:23 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
that’s true, helper springs do ‘help’. My issue has always been that people take what Porsche said about those and make out that somehow the GTS now has ‘Turbo’ suspension, as if that’s really any different to say a base C2. Great marketing by Porsche, that’s all.
If it makes you happy to think that the suspension on the Carrera S is that same as the S-PASM on the turbo and GTS, I will not stand in your way
vic55 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 01:37 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

its all relative, i traded a 992S SPASM for a GT3. . i liked it and thought it was stiff not unbearable but plenty firm . compared to the GT3 the 992 spasm is like a Buick. carl
aggie57 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 03:05 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
If it makes you happy to think that the suspension on the Carrera S is that same as the S-PASM on the turbo and GTS, I will not stand in your way
Well, until someone proves otherwise.....
Old 07-20-2022, 06:33 PM
Peter992
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts

I would say it depends where you live and how do you use your car. I am happy I have standard PASM because of comfort for daily drive.

My friend once said: ,,That front axle lift is a great feature, isn’t it?”🤣 … but I don’t have front axle lift🤣

On pictures or direct compare to SPASM it doesn’t look nice, but in all other situations I really don’t care about that gap. I am not tracking the car, but I never felt standard PASM too soft. It is 911 and in sport suspension mode sometimes stiff too much even with only standard PASM.

The following 2 users liked this post by Peter992:
rob929 (07-20-2022), westcoastj (07-22-2022)
Old 04-27-2023, 02:24 AM
david consta
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the PASM 10mm raised on GTS. Car is going to daily drive in Los Angeles. what are you thoughts on both ride and look impact?

Originally Posted by Peter992
I would say it depends where you live and how do you use your car. I am happy I have standard PASM because of comfort for daily drive.

My friend once said: ,,That front axle lift is a great feature, isn’t it?”🤣 … but I don’t have front axle lift🤣

On pictures or direct compare to SPASM it doesn’t look nice, but in all other situations I really don’t care about that gap. I am not tracking the car, but I never felt standard PASM too soft. It is 911 and in sport suspension mode sometimes stiff too much even with only standard PASM.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:47 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

If you encounter mostly good roads, SPASM is a plus with slightly tighter handling (and of course that 10mm lowered look). The GTS offers higher spring rates and Turbo helper springs, all to take the McPherson strut car closer to its theoretical handling limit (Add Sport Cup tires?). Lightweight options can improve upon handling even more. All this comes at a price of ride quality and if you drive abominable roads as I do, it detracts from the experience. The GTS Targa only offers the raised suspension (essentially the standard CS suspension). For a daily driver, that makes perfect sense. I doubt you can notice the improved SPASM handing in normal driving ... to do so would require speeds far in excess of legal limits in the US, and given typical road quality and lack of run-off would be risky. Of course, if you're a track junkie, go for it. From base to Turbo S and GT3 RS, the 911 offers limitless options.

Quick Reply: PASM vs. SPASM