Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM vs. SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 11:19 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

In reality the difference in ride between a PASM and SPASM equipped car is pretty minor. Yes spring rates etc. are a little stiffer with SPASM but it’s not huge; both are firm as they should be for a 911.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:12 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

I’m a fan of the SPASM + helper springs setup on my 4 GTS.

Fine to daily, excellent at speed. Just tinker with the tire pressures until you find the right mix.

While the ride quality is better with regular PASM, the excessive wheel arch to tire gap looks a bit odd.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:19 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD
I’m a fan of the SPASM + helper springs setup on my 4 GTS.

Fine to daily, excellent at speed. Just tinker with the tire pressures until you find the right mix.

While the ride quality is better with regular PASM, the excessive wheel arch to tire gap looks a bit odd.
Agree, the large front wheel gap on standard PASM is just not what I would expect from a performance coupe. Hurts my eye.
Do the helper springs really make a huge difference between SPASM and GTS with SPASM? Never had the pleasure driving a GTS to compare.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:25 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Agree, the large front wheel gap on standard PASM is just not what I would expect from a performance coupe. Hurts my eye.
Do the helper springs really make a huge difference between SPASM and GTS with SPASM? Never had the pleasure driving a GTS to compare.
To me, yes. The car settles faster after bumps and undulations and feels slightly better tied down and dialed in.
The following users liked this post:
Tobeit (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 02:45 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Helper spring by themselves do nothing to improve handling performance. Helper springs are required to prevent the main spring of becoming unladen at full suspension extension when shorter and stiffer main springs are installed. It is the shorter and stiffer main springs that provide the improved handling performance.

The turbo and GTS S-PASM use helper springs because the main springs are stiffer than the regular SPASM on other 992.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-19-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:05 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Helper spring by themselves do nothing to improve handling performance. Helper springs are required to prevent the main spring of becoming unladen at full suspension extension when shorter and stiffer main springs are installed. It is the shorter and stiffer main springs that provide the improved handling performance.

The turbo and GTS S-PASM use helper springs because the main springs are stiffer than the regular SPASM on other 992.
Thanks, makes sense. Did not know the GTS SPASM spring rates are different than S SPASM. So, helper springs similar like HAS kits use for the shorter stiffer springs here too.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:29 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, makes sense. Did not know the GTS SPASM spring rates are different than S SPASM.
Yes, the GTS uses the turbo S-PASM setup and not the C/CS one. From what I gather, the physical dampers as well as the calibration are also different to cope with the revised spring rates.
So, helper springs similar like HAS kits use for the shorter stiffer springs here too.
You got it

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-19-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Yes, the GTS uses the turbo S-PASM setup and not the C/CS one. From what I gather, the physical dampers as well as the calibration are also different to cope with the revised spring rates.

You got it
Until Porsche make their parts catalogue available for the 992, any 992 let alone the GTS, who really knows.

Not denying what you're saying but the Turbo weighs 200lbs more than a GTS which must factor into what the optimal spring rates are. Porsche has really only ever said that they added the helper springs, everything else that gets quoted seems to be press interpretation of that to mean all spring rates etc.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:07 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aggie57
Until Porsche make their parts catalogue available for the 992, any 992 let alone the GTS, who really knows.

Not denying what you're saying but the Turbo weighs 200lbs more than a GTS which must factor into what the optimal spring rates are. Porsche has really only ever said that they added the helper springs, everything else that gets quoted seems to be press interpretation of that to mean all spring rates etc.
Most definitely, the GTS does not have the exact same spring rates as the turbo since spring rates need to be tailored to the weight of each car. More than likely, even differently specced turbos will have slightly different spring rates from the factory (ex a loaded cab vs a lightweight pack coupe to site the extremes). But we know for a fact that the GTS suspension is based off the turbo setup and not the Carrera/Carrera-S one, and what would be the purpose of helper spring other than the aforementioned one?

And as a reference, I drove a SPASM equipped C2S back to back with my SPASM TT on track, I can attest my TT is noticeably more stiffly sprung.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-19-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Most definitely, the GTS does not have the exact same spring rates as the turbo since spring rates need to be tailored to the weight of each car. More than likely, even differently specced turbos will have slightly different spring rates from the factory (ex a loaded cab vs a lightweight pack coupe to site the extremes). But we know for a fact that the GTS suspension is based off the turbo setup and not the Carrera/Carrera-S one, and what would be the purpose of helper spring other than the aforementioned one?

And as a reference, I drove a SPASM equipped C2S back to back with my SPAMS TT on track, I can attest my TT is noticeably more stiffly sprung.
See that’s the thing, the only thing ‘Turbo’ about the GTS suspension for sure is the helper springs. Everything else is speculation and extrapolation; not saying the GTS isn’t a step up from the S, I just don’t buy into this whole “it’s a Turbo underneath” argument. To me that’s in the same camp as “it’s a junior GT3”, pure marketing. The cynic in me suspects that’s largely why the helper springs are there too.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:36 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

See that’s the thing, the only thing ‘Turbo’ about the GTS suspension for sure is the helper springs. Everything else is speculation and extrapolation; not saying the GTS isn’t a step up from the S, I just don’t buy into this whole “it’s a Turbo underneath” argument. To me that’s in the same camp as “it’s a junior GT3”, pure marketing. The cynic in me suspects that’s largely why the helper springs are there too.
The GTS is definitely not "a turbo underneath". But is does share the suspension arrangement with helper springs, that is a given.

So you're saying Porsche fit helper springs to the GTS for no technical reason? That would be very unlike Porsche IMO...
Old 07-19-2022, 07:09 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

The GTS is definitely not "a turbo underneath". But is does share the suspension arrangement with helper springs, that is a given.

So you're saying Porsche fit helper springs to the GTS for no technical reason? That would be very unlike Porsche IMO...
Not saying the don't help, just wondering the actual motivation.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:22 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Not saying the don't help, just wondering the actual motivation.
For sure they "help", they are called helper springs after all . Like I said previously, technically, helper spring are required when shorter and stiffer springs are installed...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-19-2022 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:25 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

For sure they "help", they are called helper springs after all . Like I said previously, technically, helper spring are required when shorter and stiffer springs are installed...
Yes, I understand that from my days building cars. Interesting that Porsche list different body heights for the Turbo, GTS, and S with the Turbo sitting the highest.

Lots of variables at play there of course but the weird thing is that the GTS has the SPASM as standard, if you adjust the S the same amount then by the book it actually sits .2" lower than a GTS. What to make of that I don't know!

Last edited by aggie57; 07-19-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:19 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

My dealership did not have any regular PASM cars in stock when I placed my order. I was about to switch to SPASM after seeing pictures of the wheel gap online, but for some reason, the gap seems exaggerated in photos. In-person, it does not look as bad as photos suggest. Unless you put it side-by-side next to a SPASM equipped model, you don't notice it.

Quick Reply: PASM vs. SPASM