Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just been offered a C4S allocation (No discount)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 09:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
Take home message:If this is the car and purchase you have been working for and waiting for for the better part of 50 years and you are not totally price sensitive then go for it. 5K will make no difference down the road and you wont have to wait for an allocation, fight for a discount (some people just do not relish the process) and deal with the uncertainty of whether the dealer even has an allocation for you.

On the other hand if it is going to bug you that you paid 5K more and you are in no rush then it is absolutely true that there are still discounts out there especially if you are prepared to look beyond your specific dealer and region. Ofcourse your build willl be delayed and it is a hassle to start again essentially.

I know in NJ I was told by a dealer that because I had bought a macan from her she could get me 2K off a build and yet with a bit of back and forth I walked out with a 6% discount from another dealer. Yes it was for a C2 but it was lightly optioned and this same dealer had told me that the most he could offer me was 2-3% off. It was his last allocation for the year and apparently he had other offers and yet since I was ready to order I got the allocation.

As far as it being too expensive as some posters have stated, again it depends on what this car represents. If it is your forever dream and forever keeper there is no price that is too expensive since every option is going to be something that you want that brings you joy. If however you are going to sell in 2-3-4 years then yes that option list will eat you alive with depreciation. But then if if its all about resale value then aside from a CPO 991.2 the only way to protect your value is to go with a C2 stripper with almost no options as options (S badge included) lose value at an incredible rate.
I don't think the only choice is to either get a stripped car or else go hog wild on options. There is a sweet spot with options where you don't big money on trade in.

$5k is not much when figuring a $160k purchase. But I've always found that I am more liable to brush off added expense when I'm buying. When I'm selling, every dollar hurts. In other words, the $5k doesn't sting when you buy the car - it stings when you sell it.

Not saying I live or die on resale, but OP needs to have his eyes wide open.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:25 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Wait a week or two. Once Porsche releases all of the 2021 911's that have been sitting at the ports here in the USA since late August, the scarcity argument will be significantly reduced if not eliminated. I would wager that "typical" discounts will again become the norm' in fairly short order. The "official" 2021 911 MY release date is apparently November 6th.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:34 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I don't think the only choice is to either get a stripped car or else go hog wild on options. .
Hog wild is in the eye of the beholder. If this is the OP's forever car and every one of those options are thought out and will increase his pleasure then there is no hog wild.

When I built my C2 I wanted performance and experience based options only and so went with SC, PSE, SSP. Yet I love the look of leather but felt full leather was unnecessary and so went with the partial leather option so when I look at my dash and door I would see the leather and stitching. To some that might seem unnecessary and hog wild. On the flip side I felt that the premium package was hog wild and totally unnecessary. All in the eye of the beholder.

There is an old saying: About taste there is no discussion.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:56 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Absolutely proceed....it’s “their” time on this deal with market conditions worldwide production ET al...and sometimes we have “ours” - net sum being zero. You can’t quibble about 5 gs at any age let alone our 60s when our runway is getting shorter - CAVEAT being it is precisely the car you want at precisely the right time for you. If the dealer was forward thinking they invest in the relationship noting ‘prep and pdi’ at $ 0....or $ 500.00 Gift certificate at the Porsche accessories boutique at the dealer..or some other token gesture but I digress. The optimist in me says the dealer or sales associate will make it right during your time with the car. You will absolutely not miss 5k and next spring you avoid the dreaded stomach flip when you see someone else driving a beautiful 911 onto a blvd in your community - on some sunny day - while having just read the morning paper with real optimism in the headline...and you’ll now be 62 and won’t have to grumble “what the heck was I thinking? “.....

If your asking me - buy your car.
I couldn’t get a discount on my Spyder but did manage a $500 gift certificate at their parts dept , which turned into his and her jackets.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:58 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Hog wild is in the eye of the beholder. If this is the OP's forever car and every one of those options are thought out and will increase his pleasure then there is no hog wild.

When I built my C2 I wanted performance and experience based options only and so went with SC, PSE, SSP. Yet I love the look of leather but felt full leather was unnecessary and so went with the partial leather option so when I look at my dash and door I would see the leather and stitching. To some that might seem unnecessary and hog wild. On the flip side I felt that the premium package was hog wild and totally unnecessary. All in the eye of the beholder.

There is an old saying: About taste there is no discussion.
I'm speaking from the perspective of resale.

Naturally, get what you want. My car is pretty loaded up, but I specifically picked and wanted every option on it and I had an 8% discount.

I guess what I'm saying -- OP shouldn't spend beaucoup money on a Carrera without discount that is optioned to the gills unless he really wants all those options. He could get burned badly on resale down the road and he needs to know that. If he waits a few months, it's very possible he could get a much better deal.

A lot of this thread discussion is predicated on the idea that this is a "forever" car and I suspect many people feel that way when they're buying their first 911, but I'm pretty sure not many actually follow through.

Last edited by rk-d; 10-31-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:08 AM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Wait a week or two. Once Porsche releases all of the 2021 911's that have been sitting at the ports here in the USA since late August, the scarcity argument will be significantly reduced if not eliminated. I would wager that "typical" discounts will again become the norm' in fairly short order. The "official" 2021 911 MY release date is apparently November 6th.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of those cars are customer builds vs dealer cars that have already been pre-emptively sold vs dealer cars that are bound for the lot? You might find that the first two scenarios account for a large percentage of cars leaving very few available cars for sale ?
Old 10-31-2020, 11:13 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

It would be interesting to know what percentage of those cars are customer builds vs dealer cars that have already been pre-emptively sold vs dealer cars that are bound for the lot? You might find that the first two scenarios account for a large percentage of cars leaving very few available cars for sale ?
Perhaps, but I'd be willing a week or two to find out.
The following users liked this post:
gohawks23 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 11:15 AM
craig66
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm speaking from the perspective of resale.

Naturally, get what you want. My car is pretty loaded up, but I specifically picked and wanted every option on it and I had an 8% discount.

I guess what I'm saying -- OP shouldn't spend beaucoup money on a Carrera without discount that is optioned to the gills unless he really wants all those options. He could get burned badly on resale down the road and he needs to know that. If he waits a few months, it's very possible he could get a much better deal.

A lot of this thread discussion is predicated on the idea that this is a "forever" car and I suspect many people feel that way when they're buying their first 911, but I'm pretty sure not many actually follow through.
Too true, my boxster was my forever car until I realized it was an amazing car but I really really wanted the 992. My forever car lasted 18 months. Thankfully due to Covid scarcity I was given a really good trade in value together with a 6% discount which made it a not unreasonable trade up but my Boxster was a stripper and so differential between purchase price and trade in price was pretty good. Kind of wish I could have kept both but alas it was not to be.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:25 AM
MVRK
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
After waiting for months, I have just been offered a C4S allocation along with a request for a $5,000 deposit in AZ. The code for the my selected build is here: PMENPJ59

I did not have any luck negotiating a discount as the dealer only has one C4S allocation and (apparently he says) a line of potential buyers. The car is heavily optioned just the way I want it at $160,780. I am inclined to proceed as even with a 3% discount it would still only be $4,823 off MSRP.

Still this will be the first car I have ever bought at list price. I wondered if anyone else has received a CS4 allocation this past week and managed to get any discount?

This is a long term purchase and as I just turned 61 am not getting any younger. (My first 911 but not my first Porsche, previously a Panamera Turbo-S)

Chris
I wouldn’t hold your breath for a discount and holding onto the “never paid list” narrative will do nothing for you aside from cause some lost hours of sleep. There is such a shortage of inventory right now, I’d usually say no less than a 5% drop, but I settled at 2.5% after walking and letting it sit for nearly a week without any contact...just get your allocation now if you want it, because with slow downs in Germany, it’s only going to get worse...
Old 10-31-2020, 02:07 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey OP here. Thanks all for your amazing feedback!

Love the comment that "the $5k doesn't sting when you buy the car - it stings when you sell it". Sure I may sell it at some point but that is likely 10-years away or more when I will be in my 70's. I can easily afford the $5K and over time its not that much, its more the principle of the thing. Anyway... I put down my deposit.

Almost all the options are important to me and am the type that would suffer buyers remorse being in a stripped down car. I could lessen any "pain" by dropping the $3,170 PDDC from the spec. I had it in my Panamera Turbo-S, but see from research on this site that its value in a 992 C4S appears marginal if that.

The order does not freeze until December 5th which is when I can no longer get my deposit refunded. That still allows a month to see what happens when all those cars in the port are released. Meanwhile I have secured a place in the line. And if the dealer treats me well with vouchers or whatever, I will be happy.

Thanks again!

Chris

Last edited by aquatone; 10-31-2020 at 02:14 PM.
MVRK (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 03:16 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
Hey OP here. Thanks all for your amazing feedback!

Love the comment that "the $5k doesn't sting when you buy the car - it stings when you sell it". Sure I may sell it at some point but that is likely 10-years away or more when I will be in my 70's. I can easily afford the $5K and over time its not that much, its more the principle of the thing. Anyway... I put down my deposit.

Almost all the options are important to me and am the type that would suffer buyers remorse being in a stripped down car. I could lessen any "pain" by dropping the $3,170 PDDC from the spec. I had it in my Panamera Turbo-S, but see from research on this site that its value in a 992 C4S appears marginal if that.

The order does not freeze until December 5th which is when I can no longer get my deposit refunded. That still allows a month to see what happens when all those cars in the port are released. Meanwhile I have secured a place in the line. And if the dealer treats me well with vouchers or whatever, I will be happy.

Thanks again!

Chris
Bottom line is you are leaving 10K+ on the table. If you are fine with that well OK, you just allow dealers to give discounts to their other more deal seeking customers. Do some work and shop around. AZ has hardly any dealers meaning no competition. Blast out emails to the many nearby SoCal dealers, etc. I shopped SoCal from Chicago and was finding 6% off.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Bottom line is you are leaving 10K+ on the table. If you are fine with that well OK, you just allow dealers to give discounts to their other more deal seeking customers. Do some work and shop around. AZ has hardly any dealers meaning no competition. Blast out emails to the many nearby SoCal dealers, etc. I shopped SoCal from Chicago and was finding 6% off.
Exactly! I shopped every dealer in California, Nevada and Arizona. Another local Southern California fellow on this forum bought his from a dealer in Atlanta Georgia with, he says, an 8% discount. Just select the PEC Delivery Experience option when you order the car. You then pick it up here in L.A. at the PEC (Jct !-405 & I-110) no matter where your selling dealer is located. For enough of a discount, it will more than pay for the PEC Delivery, even if you don't need or want it.
gohawks23 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:33 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Exactly! I shopped every dealer in California, Nevada and Arizona. Another local Southern California fellow on this forum bought his from a dealer in Atlanta Georgia with, he says, an 8% discount. Just select the PEC Delivery Experience option when you order the car. You then pick it up here in L.A. at the PEC (Jct !-405 & I-110) no matter where your selling dealer is located. For enough of a discount, it will more than pay for the PEC Delivery, even if you don't need or want it.
Yep and to OP I assume you are N Scottsdale Porsche...they won't be sorry if you back out as plenty of people in Scottsdale will be blissfully unaware enough to pay sticker and pick up that spot. . (I used to live there)
PS, why a 4S in hot parched desert? Save another 8K or whatever and shop for a 2S allocation.

Last edited by gohawks23; 10-31-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:23 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Have you tried Fairfield Porsche in Connecticut ? When I was looking for a deal on my 2020 Porsche C4S, they offered a fantastic discount.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:47 PM
MVRK
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Yep and to OP I assume you are N Scottsdale Porsche...they won't be sorry if you back out as plenty of people in Scottsdale will be blissfully unaware enough to pay sticker and pick up that spot. . (I used to live there)
PS, why a 4S in hot parched desert? Save another 8K or whatever and shop for a 2S allocation.
This is some great feedback and it seems people on the west coast for the most part, are having better luck than some East Coast shoppers who aren’t cross shopping nationwide. That being said, we should all keep in mind that % discount off of asking is all completely relative, as I myself have seen the same cars in California marked up 5% on asking than some on the East Coast...so I tend to focus more on deviation from invoice value, and in these terms even at only 2.5% off MSRP, I was well within my desired percentage from invoice, which speaks to the lack of markup in our area.

Quick Reply: Just been offered a C4S allocation (No discount)