Sponsored by:

Can't decide on C4S or TTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 11:54 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumpsmynads
TTS? I’m a relative newbie and I get it’s an abbreviation for Turbo S. But why 2 T’s?
twin turbo s
Old 10-30-2020, 01:39 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by SFC
Right now I am driving a Panamera Turbo. The lease end in February 2021. I live in the Bay Area. I never go tracking. never use launch control. I love the 992 inside and outside. I want to get a 992 for my next car (will using an Odyssey for the family car. I have a 4 years old and 2 years old)
the problem is, should I buy C4S or TTS. I know I will never use the full power of the TTS, but with TTS I know I have everything (yes, it comes with the price) and with C4S I know it will be good enough for me, but it is not top of the line I feel I am kind of missing something.
therefore, I need some suggestions.
also, should I buy them with cash? because I feel leasing is not worth it with Porsche. right now I am paying about $2678 (included tax) for the 2018 Panamera Turbo with MSRP of $171K
Thanks!!
as a tts owner I can say it’s ridiculous overkill for any and all situations at non-felony speeds. There’s no good reason to take the tts over the c4s.
seriously. You will spend all your time thinking “I need to lay off the accelerator so I don’t go to jail and lose my job”. It pulls forever and never lets up. 0-60. 60-90. 90-120. My friend tells me. I pretty much never use more than 10% of the accelerator, and even then for no more than 4 seconds.
of course there’s no kill like overkill and if the extra cash means nothing, then it is a absolutely delightful way to set money on fire and smoke the **** out of some Tesla owners
the tts is one of the “last ride of ice” machines

i can’t see any reason to pay cash right now in the US. You should be able to get <= 2% from a bank or credit union. Lease terms are bad. You’ll need to do some math regarding depreciation (which is steep in the tts) if you know in advance you’ll only keep it for 2-3 years.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:09 AM
SFC
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
as a tts owner I can say it’s ridiculous overkill for any and all situations at non-felony speeds. There’s no good reason to take the tts over the c4s.
seriously. You will spend all your time thinking “I need to lay off the accelerator so I don’t go to jail and lose my job”. It pulls forever and never lets up. 0-60. 60-90. 90-120. My friend tells me. I pretty much never use more than 10% of the accelerator, and even then for no more than 4 seconds.
of course there’s no kill like overkill and if the extra cash means nothing, then it is a absolutely delightful way to set money on fire and smoke the **** out of some Tesla owners
the tts is one of the “last ride of ice” machines

i can’t see any reason to pay cash right now in the US. You should be able to get <= 2% from a bank or credit union. Lease terms are bad. You’ll need to do some math regarding depreciation (which is steep in the tts) if you know in advance you’ll only keep it for 2-3 years.
Thank god, the things you said are exactly what my struggle are right now. I spent 100k to lease the Panamera turbo for 3 years and I never use launch control and end up getting couples of speeding tickets. I thought I need a 4 door sedan for the kids and a better driving experience (my previous car is X6 50i, don't like it) but ends up I still need another weekend family car, so I have to get an Odyssey. Right now the Panamera only has 19k miles in almost 3 years. I don't want to spend this much money on a car that I can't fully use it. It looks like the C4S(I live AWD) is a better option for me. Thank you so much!!
Old 10-30-2020, 06:05 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Here’s another review I enjoyed:
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I had the same dilemma...but chose the Targa 4S ...but I have a GT3 touring I am keeping so my calculus was different...and I love the silhouette of the Targa and appreciate its unique appeal In the line up. I had a 991.1 TTS which was stupid fast sure - but just not an ‘event’ when I drove it on the road...however everything I have read about the steering-suspension and exhaust on the 992.1 tts tells me they have addressed the hang ups I had....but I won’t give up my GT3T... BUT if I had only one...the TTS it would be.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lkngshrp
Load up a C4S nicely and the gap shrinks considerably... the difference for me between how I would spec a C4S and a TT is about $30k. That’s it.
Maybe for the TT, but not the TTS.

OP - pretty common opinion is that the TTS is less fun, because as said, you can't really get on the power much. That's particularly true in an urban area. I enjoy revving an engine out, and ​​​I'm worried enough about not being able to get on my C2S enough. Can't imagine a TTS.

You can option out a C4S interior with full leather and turbo interior package. But if you're really focused on straight-line speed than yes TTS makes sense.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Maybe for the TT, but not the TTS.

OP - pretty common opinion is that the TTS is less fun, because as said, you can't really get on the power much. That's particularly true in an urban area. I enjoy revving an engine out, and ​​​I'm worried enough about not being able to get on my C2S enough. Can't imagine a TTS.

You can option out a C4S interior with full leather and turbo interior package. But if you're really focused on straight-line speed than yes TTS makes sense.
I'm not sure I agree. I had a Turbo and you can tell a difference between a Turbo and Carrera at legal speeds. Unlike a GT3, the power is very accessible.

I could argue a Turbo is less fun than a C2S because of the RWD and lighter weight of the latter. That was my only complaint about the Turbo -- it was a little heavy feeling and not as tossable. But in terms of power -- if you have trouble enjoying a TTS because of road/traffic conditions, the same issues would probably apply to a C4S.

Now the difference between a TTS and a TT is more subtle and are arguably more pronounced at ~triple digit speeds. This is hard to do legally and I think the two cars are harder to distinguish, performance wise, in real life on the street. But then there are other aspects of the TTS which make it attractive over the TT, but that's a different question.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Drive both it will be obvious to you they are not the same cars. They are at different levels of standard equipment and at different levels of performance and definitely different levels of cost.

I moved from a 4S to my TTS. I had owned 4 TT 911’s previously and missed the all out power. I loved my 4S but the TTS is a different animal.

Last edited by Penn4S; 10-30-2020 at 09:30 AM.
AlexCeres (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:02 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm not sure I agree. I had a Turbo and you can tell a difference between a Turbo and Carrera at legal speeds. Unlike a GT3, the power is very accessible.

I could argue a Turbo is less fun than a C2S because of the RWD and lighter weight of the latter. That was my only complaint about the Turbo -- it was a little heavy feeling and not as tossable. But in terms of power -- if you have trouble enjoying a TTS because of road/traffic conditions, the same issues would probably apply to a C4S.
Thats a good point - in my head I was mostly thinking the C2S even though I said C4S lighter and RWD.

Still though, I imagine you'd be able to go full throttle for a longer period of time noticeably more often in the C4S than TTS. I know I'm unique though in that I get more enjoyment out of revving an engine out and sound over power output. Just depends what you're looking for.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

[QUOTE=rk-d;16995501]I'm not sure I agree. I had a Turbo and you can tell a difference between a Turbo and Carrera at legal speeds. Unlike a GT3, the power is very accessible.

I agree with this fully. Having come from a 4S to the TTS, the power is there anytime you want especially if slipped into Sport mode. The cars are just different.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:20 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Rates are not 6-7%. They are more like 1.9-3.9%.
AlexCeres (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 04:52 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I asked the uk dealer to find me a TTS allocation, then drove a 4S..... coming from an F10 M5 it was a magical new world.

Dealer had a TTS on delivery, GT Silver... I actually didn’t like it. To much plastic, wing, stuff hanging on the car.

now if I drove one I’m sure things would be different, but I’ll take the 4S when it arrives before the end of the year and see how it goes.

Allocations are so tight at the moment that moving into another car could take over a year so enjoy what you have and plan for the next adventure.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:07 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

In my personal opinion I would get the C4S in manual, give it a simple stage 1 tune from one of the premier tuners(generally 100hp) and be done with it. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

I'll throw my 2 cents into this conversation.

"Basic" staples of the family man car enthusiast : Sports Car, Sports Sedan, SUV (Sports preferred)

You already have 1 in the Panamera Turbo. If you get rid of it, it will be extremely hard to replace. I have 3 kids, and it became so impractical to take them anywhere in the 911, that I ended up driving it less, because family outing = SUV, kids and 1 parent = sports sedan. Tune the Panamera, and you will be hunting down those pesky tesla's no problem.

Sports car. Going from Panamera Turbo to TTS is more lateral than upward move. Smaller, more agile, quicker, louder, less practical. The allure of the TTS basically died for me after the 997 generation. 'All' 911's are now turbo's, and the 'real' turbo no longer has a MT. Personally if I go Turbo, I would want a Cab. I want a 'different' experience with all my cars, and nothing beats top down open air driving.

Only disappointment with the TTS will be the price. You will 'always' regret not having one if it is in your means.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on C4S or TTS