Sponsored by:

Porsche Carrera 4 (992) - Video Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 08:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
@Gables I truly think that with this generation of the 992 we are at that point. I think crossing over to the S gives just more power than is needed or necessary and starts making it almost less fun. Over and above the price increase to get that more power you start believing that you need all the add extras - all of this is true for a track car but if you are looking for a beautiful, 911 that can serve as a comfortable DD, a spirited B road driver and even possibly a track car and at a price that is not too crazy, I think the base is a hands down winner.
People said this about the 997.2 as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 AM
Benno911
Track Day

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2021 C4 on the way to the US, so it is possible to get an allocation, although I think very few were available when I ordered in June, something like only 29 in the US for 2020s. Definitely the marketing and reviews try to influence towards the S.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:22 AM
Demolisher
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

My replies are below, and thank you to everyone for the overall feedback/interaction.

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
If you want to get an extended view/feel of what it's like to drive, this is an excellent video for that.
WOW, thank you so much. Wasn't expecting the overall interest and discussing surrounding this car/review.

Originally Posted by Gables
Demolisher,

Other than the additional power, bigger brakes and PTV+, is there anything else available with the S version that you believe is a "must have" and would miss by virtue of purchasing a Base model? I'm specifically referring to performance features that are unavailable on the Base model such as SPASM, RAS, PDCC, and manual transmission?

Thanks.
Gables, unfortunately I haven't driven a Carrera 4S with said options, and this was my "virgin" test of the 992 platform. With that said, this car was very low on optional extras and yet, I had a great time with it. It's very balanced and composed (at higher speeds I found that an M4 feels more planted, but after a while you get used to that typical Porsche sensation). I can only imagine that, on track, you'd feel the difference/necessity for those optional extras. The nerd in me would love to have all those goodies but, to be honest, they aren't necessary since you'll have a TON of fun. The brakes on the S models will probably be better, but they will also fill the rim a bit better, which is a part this car lacked, but in terms of braking performance, I felt it was nicely modulated to the car.

Speaking about the RAS, I started driving with my door open, looking at the rear wheels, to make sure it didn't have it. First because I wasn't feeling anything happening and second because the turning radius was great! Much better than on the M4 which, on the same exercise, had to take a 3 point turn. This is an area which I will not say anything because I haven't tested it yet and it's a feature that will aid on track, day to day driving and motorway driving as well.

On the manual gearbox, as I said on the video, I'd love to try one with it. The PDK is INCREDIBLE, but I'd still love to row my own gears. It goes without saying that, with the PDK, the car will feel faster... These gearboxes are the prime candidates to kill the manual, which they already are doing, but a good manual will always be the wholehearted option.

Woud love to hear what Demolisher thinks but I think the answer to that is always depending on where you intend to drive and what you are intending to do with the car
Assuming you are looking for a spirited DD and are not going to track the car, I am not sure the more power is a must have. Sure its nice to have but unless you are tracking the car not sure for general street and spirited driving the the added power is needed or appreciated and many reviewers say that the C2 gives you better use of the power rather than having that instant on tap crazy power.
Bigger brakes - the C2 brakes are still excellent and not sure there is advantage to bigger brakes in a non tracking situation
SPASM is going to increase tightness of the car but at expense of ride quality - again needed for tracking and possibly to handle the extra power and torque of the S but not needed for a spirited DD
PDCC - again very useful in a top heavy car such as a targa but not needed except for extreme maneuvering
PTV+ - not likely to be needed unless tracking and in extreme spirited driving
RAS - a little more controversial but again most average drivers would not notice its presence or absence

Manual Transmission - now that is where Porsche has you. If you want the manual you are forced to step up to the S and that is a real pity as if the base had manual it would be the ultimate drivers car for spirited daily driving.

I decided to go C2 as a bum knee makes stick tiring but if I had gone manual I would have gone to the S but taken none of the added features
I'm with you on pretty much everything. The S models will give you that extra sauce on everything, but do you really need it to have fun? To have a good car? No. Would I be having any more fun if I had the S? Maybe on a longer pull, where power would come in handy, or perhaps with the two wheel drive model, because it would break traction easier. One thing that I loved with the M4 was how easily it broke the rear tyres. Yes, it's not the fastest way of moving, but it's fun and engaging. I imagine that, with 305 tyres, it will not do it as easily, but one can try.

I'm with ya.

I was locked into an S but recently backed off and am now strongly considering a Base. Why? Well, I am more than fine with PDK...will use the car as a DD...and unlikely to ever track it. With that said, who doesn't like the added power?

The OP appears to have thoroughly enjoyed driving the Base and appears to be an auto enthusiast. I'm curious if there are any other features he would lament not getting.
I did have a lot of fun, and it's a truly capable car. You'll love your 992 "base".

@Gables I am totally with you on the power thing and I had a 996 that I just could not truly fall in love partly due to the power.
I think we get conditioned into thinking that more power is better and I think to a degree it is true but I also think you get to a point where you get so much power that it starts making the car not so fun and possibly almost less 911ish and more supercar
I truly think that with this generation of the 992 we are at that point. I think crossing over to the S gives just more power than is needed or necessary and starts making it almost less fun. Over and above the price increase to get that more power you start believing that you need all the add extras - all of this is true for a track car but if you are looking for a beautiful, 911 that can serve as a comfortable DD, a spirited B road driver and even possibly a track car and at a price that is not too crazy, I think the base is a hands down winner.
Base is definitely a winner. As I said, 0-100(60mph) in 4 seconds (announced). That's 997 Turbo territory... Its, it's greatly due to the PDK, but it's still impressive. I can imagine that you'll lust for a bit more power after a while, but a remap can take care of that.

Well said. The point about crossing over into supercar territory with the added features and power is an interesting point.

The features that I might miss the most aside from power are probably the bigger brakes and PTV+. That's it really. PASM is more than sufficient. To me, the added benefit of SPASM is the appearance factor (not so much performance). For most, PDCC isnt a viable option on a 911. RAS...maybe for the steering benefits in tight spaces.

I truly don't need any of these. I may want the added power, however. Hopefully, the practical side of me prevails.

We shall see...
That's how I feel. I don't need it, but I may want it... That's a different story. But the point is, if you're looking to spend the cash difference between a base and an S model, you can do it elsewhere, considering you were thinking of upgrading to the S because of performance issues. There are none here. I remember driving a 981 Cayman (base spec), and I felt it was truly underpowered. It cornered beautifully, but it didn't propel you forward as you'd expect from a Porsche. That doesn't happen here.

Originally Posted by smartbot
Great review! Love the intro footage!
Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by aggie57
Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for watching!

________________________________________________________________________ __________________

For all of you who liked this video, I also did a POV with in, through a beautiful mountain road. I have also recorded a comparison with a BMW M4 (0-100 and 50-200 more or less). It wasn't the most scientific test, but it did show what this car can do. I'll post it soon.

I'd love to hear what you think happened on that comparison video.

992 POV through a mountain road:

Old 10-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Another great video....thanks for sharing again.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:05 AM
Demolisher
Track Day

Thank you!

And again, thank you everyone for the great feedback. Driving this car was really pleasurable and the video is getting great attention from enthusiasts, at least for what I'm used to.

Hopefully Porsche will lend me more of its wonderful creations to test drive and review.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:10 AM
Demolisher
Track Day

I don't know if you all saw, but if you didn't, I also took the liberty of doing a photoshoot with this beautiful 992. Here are a few pictures:

Notice: Nature copying machine, or the other way around?

The following 3 users liked this post by Demolisher:
ATH (10-18-2020), Bluehighways (10-18-2020), Gables (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Great pics...nicely done.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:59 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 10:48 AM
Demolisher
Track Day

The rolling shots are a personal favorite of mine. I love to see a car in motion, which is not always possible.

I still remember the first time I saw the service assistant taking my car inside. I drooled immensely watching it driving away
Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 AM
Harris27
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm with ya.

I was locked into an S but recently backed off and am now strongly considering a Base. Why? Well, I am more than fine with PDK...will use the car as a DD...and unlikely to ever track it. With that said, who doesn't like the added power?

The OP appears to have thoroughly enjoyed driving the Base and appears to be an auto enthusiast. I'm curious if there are any other features he would lament not getting.

After driving both, I prefer the base imho. Idk why
The following users liked this post:
GSound (09-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Porsche Carrera 4 (992) - Video Review