Sponsored by:

New car problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 09:32 AM
britpop
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New car problems

Love my new 992 4S cab...but surprised by the problems already experienced, starting as soon as I took delivery (bought from out of state dealer lot and had Reliable deliver to me). The front axle lift has never worked. It doesn’t move up or down. Sometimes the dialogue box in the dash says it’s moved up/down (nothing happens), others it says there’s a fault. Real axle steering also faulty. First time I turned at full lock I got a message that it was faulty and service required. Then yesterday (one week in and 200 miles) I got a message that the auto stop/start was faulty (not switching off when idling, which ironically is fine with me as I am not a fan of this function...but of course, if there’s a problem I want it fixed). I have it booked into the dealer, but it’s annoying to have to deal with such faults. Is this normal? Should I expect the dealer to fix these things properly first time? And if I’m taking it in anyway (will be at around 350 miles by then) should I get an oil change?

Old 09-26-2020, 10:58 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I wonder if it’s one dodgy controller somewhere in the car causing this, or if you just happened to get a “Friday afternoon” special?

Also interested to know if once fixed by the tech it gets reported back to Germany and “Hans on the wiring team” gets a slap on the wrist.
The following users liked this post:
britpop (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:06 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

When was your build date? There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that “COVID build” 992s (cars built after the factory reopening) are showing some new and unique problems.

My June 2019 build has been more/less trouble free. I didn’t even have the Bose rattle issue. I joke that they built mine before they got cocky. Lol
Old 09-26-2020, 11:13 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by britpop
Love my new 992 4S cab...but surprised by the problems already experienced, starting as soon as I took delivery (bought from out of state dealer lot and had Reliable deliver to me). The front axle lift has never worked. It doesn’t move up or down. Sometimes the dialogue box in the dash says it’s moved up/down (nothing happens), others it says there’s a fault. Real axle steering also faulty. First time I turned at full lock I got a message that it was faulty and service required. Then yesterday (one week in and 200 miles) I got a message that the auto stop/start was faulty (not switching off when idling, which ironically is fine with me as I am not a fan of this function...but of course, if there’s a problem I want it fixed). I have it booked into the dealer, but it’s annoying to have to deal with such faults. Is this normal? Should I expect the dealer to fix these things properly first time? And if I’m taking it in anyway (will be at around 350 miles by then) should I get an oil change?
I'm not sure what country you are in - but it sounds like the car could qualify as a lemon.

I would not get an oil change at 350 miles.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:35 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Mine was a March 2020 COVID car. I had steering clunk I felt through steering wheel when entering driveways. I took my car in a couple times for that but of course could not replicate it. I finally caught it on my dash camera for the dealer to hear.

Then my PDK had a bad leak. Just got that replaced after 21 days! Plus I had a few visits for the clunk before I found the PDK leak. They said they tightened up all the steering bolts. But I’m not sure if the front clunk is gone.
It comes and goes. Depend on the angle I enter the driveway. Hopefully they did fix it.

Because if that resurfaces, or if I have another issue. I’ll be requesting a buy back. And Porsche knows all about it. I got them involved and have made it clear that I’m real close to 30 day lemon law and or three visits for same problem. But the goal is to keep my car. There is noting better that I want. I do like my car.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 09-26-2020 at 11:57 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
britpop (09-26-2020), detansinn (09-26-2020), malibu515 (09-28-2020), mdrobc1213 (09-27-2020), ryandarr1979 (10-02-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:53 PM
britpop
Track Day

Re build date - how do I determine that?

Last edited by britpop; 09-26-2020 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Clarifying reply
Old 09-26-2020, 04:57 PM
britpop
Track Day

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
I wonder if it’s one dodgy controller somewhere in the car causing this, or if you just happened to get a “Friday afternoon” special?

Also interested to know if once fixed by the tech it gets reported back to Germany and “Hans on the wiring team” gets a slap on the wrist.
Lol. I would not want a car I worked on on a Friday. Or Monday tbh
Old 09-26-2020, 04:58 PM
britpop
Track Day

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm not sure what country you are in - but it sounds like the car could qualify as a lemon.

I would not get an oil change at 350 miles.
USA and thanks for the advice
Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 PM
britpop
Track Day

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Mine was a March 2020 COVID car. I had steering clunk I felt through steering wheel when entering driveways. I took my car in a couple times for that but of course could not replicate it. I finally caught it on my dash camera for the dealer to hear.

Then my PDK had a bad leak. Just got that replaced after 21 days! Plus I had a few visits for the clunk before I found the PDK leak. They said they tightened up all the steering bolts. But I’m not sure if the front clunk is gone.
It comes and goes. Depend on the angle I enter the driveway. Hopefully they did fix it.

Because if that resurfaces, or if I have another issue. I’ll be requesting a buy back. And Porsche knows all about it. I got them involved and have made it clear that I’m real close to 30 day lemon law and or three visits for same problem. But the goal is to keep my car. There is noting better that I want. I do like my car.

She is a stunner. Wishing you better luck soon
The following 2 users liked this post by britpop:
BIGWORM (09-26-2020), malibu515 (09-28-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:05 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

You’ll find your build date on the door sill.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:45 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
You’ll find your build date on the door sill.
You can also get it from "https://vinanalytics.com/car/[VIN]/". For example, here's a random VIN I was looking at while browsing advertised vehicles: https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB2A96LS264221/
Old 09-27-2020, 09:15 AM
britpop
Track Day

Originally Posted by mikey94025
You can also get it from "https://vinanalytics.com/car/[VIN]/". For example, here's a random VIN I was looking at while browsing advertised vehicles: https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB2A96LS264221/
Thanks for this. Car was produced in Jan 2020.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Thanks for this. Car was produced in Jan 2020.
Hmm... Pre-Covid car.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:13 PM
SZ992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM

Beautiful car! Sorry to hear you're having issues. You may have a lemon on your hands, if you do choose to proceed that route feel free to shoot me a DM, I can refer you to a great attorney for that. We had a car that we just lemon'd and it was relatively easy and pain free...but hopefully they figure out the issues and you don't have to do that!
Old 10-02-2020, 06:04 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Take it to the dealer and get it recorded/documented in the service history but yes, I’d expect them to fix both the first time. I do believe in break-in oil changes but I’d wait until 2k miles for that. Based on all the above, glad I didn’t spec PDK, RAS or FAL....

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 10-02-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: New car problems