Sponsored by:

Check Engine light - x2

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 06:00 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Check Engine light - x2

I had the first Check Engine light a few months ago, solid orange/yellow. It was at the dealer for about 3 days and they couldn't find anything definitive that would have caused it and attributed it to something caused by a non-tight fuel cap (or something along those lines). Just went in again for a second check engine light...(and will be getting it's 1-year-old service/oil change a month early). Anyone else experiencing check engine lights with their 992?
Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

If you saw the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on while the engine was running, there will be a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) stored in the on-board computer system. There are more than 5,000 different Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). I/we would need to know which DTC (or DTC's) were stored in the on-board computer system when the CEL came on. It will be a five digit alpha numeric code. FWIW, A Gas Cap that is not fully tightened or is not seating correctly is one thing that can cause the CEL to come on and a DTC stored in the on-board computer system. You can purchase any one of a number of what are called "Scan Tools" that will plug into a connector that is under your dash. If all you want/need to read are the DTC's, the Scan Tool you may wish to purchase will be an inexpensive thing. You CAN spend a LOT of money on some Scan Tools, but if all you need/want to do is to read the DTC's you do not need one of them.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:18 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 86 Posts

Good info bluehighways, I will suely be able to have a more intelligent conversation when I pick the car up this time on what may be causing the CEL to come on. Seems like with over 5k trouble codes they would be better able to zero in on the root cause. Ahh well, at least I'm getting to explore the world of base Macans while they troubleshoot.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 PM
Seacil
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you recommend a "Scan Tool"?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:05 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Seacil
Can you recommend a "Scan Tool"?
Sure, but don't spend more than $20 if all you want/need to do is read and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Here's one on Amazon for $14.95. If I did a bit more searching I'm sure a less expensive one could be found. If you read what its packaging says that it does; that's pretty standard stuff at this end of the Scan Tool Spectrum.

One could also visit your local auto parts store: Pep Boys, AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reily's, etc., etc., etc. and buy the least expensive Scan Tool they have . . . they'll all do the job pretty much the same.

<Xtool Universal U480 CAN-BUS OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner>
The following users liked this post:
Cackbuh (08-31-2024)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:39 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by carson2
I had the first Check Engine light a few months ago, solid orange/yellow. It was at the dealer for about 3 days and they couldn't find anything definitive that would have caused it and attributed it to something caused by a non-tight fuel cap (or something along those lines). Just went in again for a second check engine light...(and will be getting it's 1-year-old service/oil change a month early). Anyone else experiencing check engine lights with their 992?
I had this happen on mine twice in the first 6 months of ownership. Traded the car for a Spyder. It is something to do with overfilling the car and/or not getting the gas cap on tight. PITA.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light - x2