Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb acceleration question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020 | 11:56 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Default Dumb acceleration question...

Would using the FAL system to raise the front of the car transfer enough weight to the back end to lower 0-60 times at all? I know it couldn't possibly make a big difference, but I'm just wondering if it would have any measurable effect whatsoever. I'm not sure why this popped into my head, but I'm just curious what others think of the idea.
Old 09-04-2020 | 12:26 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Would using the FAL system to raise the front of the car transfer enough weight to the back end to lower 0-60 times at all? I know it couldn't possibly make a big difference, but I'm just wondering if it would have any measurable effect whatsoever. I'm not sure why this popped into my head, but I'm just curious what others think of the idea.
I don’t believe it would measurably transfer weight to the back of the car at all. If you had scales at all 4 corners, you’d see the same weight displayed from all 4 scales before and after FAL actuation.
Old 09-04-2020 | 12:37 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

And it lowers at speeds below 60 as well. I think it would interfere with the airflow enough to cut time off the 0-60 if you had it up. Probably not much, but think it would be detrimental.
Old 09-04-2020 | 01:04 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Like I sait, it's a dumb question. In my mind, I picture the car rocking back under acceleration anyway, so I thought lifting the front end would get it tipped back ahead of time and maybe give you better acceleration.
Old 09-04-2020 | 01:20 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Like I sait, it's a dumb question. In my mind, I picture the car rocking back under acceleration anyway, so I thought lifting the front end would get it tipped back ahead of time and maybe give you better acceleration.
That’s just wasted energy transmitted through the suspension/springs. It would happen even if FAL was engaged. A perfectly efficient system would eliminate the rocking back, which is virtually impossible for a street car that has springs/dampers for driving on streets that aren’t perfect.

I don’t think it’s a dumb question, FWIW. We just shootin’ the breeze ‘bout car physics!

Last edited by Marantz2270; 09-04-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2020 | 10:24 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

The theory is correct. In practice the front end has to lift quite a bit to transfer the weight on acceleration. When drag racing we would disengage the front anti roll bar and install 90/10 shocks on the front to get the front end to lift putting more weight on the rear tires. It really only helps when you are traction limited. In drag racing, classes limit the tire size so weight transfer gives you the most traction for a specific tire. On a 992, if you are traction limited, get a bigger rear tire as in GT2...
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (09-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Dumb acceleration question...