Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF protection - how much are you covering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am a bit surprised at how price sensitive people are to PPF.

Not advocating for or against PPF, but it does seem a bit interesting that many will option PDLS Matrix lights (at ~3k) or a Sport Design pkg (at ~5k) or even the Aerokit pkg (at ~7k) and not really blink an eye, when none of those options arguably add anything significant to the performance of the car, and the Matrix lights don't even function in the U.S.

Most (all?) get those options (Matrix lights, SD or Aero pkg) for looks, which is exactly what PPF provides for the car -- exterior looks.

Not saying one decision is better than the other, but it is interesting how people prioritize things and their budgets.
I'm absolutely in favor dropping the coin on PPF-ing high-impact areas where stone chips are most common. Aesthetics aside: The functionality of what I am buying is clear to me. Wrapping the entire car for nearly 3x the price? Shoot, I'd love to do it, it's just harder for me, personally, to justify given what I get in return.

Everyone has to draw the line, dollars-wise, somewhere. Sometimes that is emotional, sometimes it is a cold-hard fact. When it comes to PPF, for now, I draw the line at partial coverage in the most vulnerable sections of the car. Seems to work well for a lot of people, I think it will work for me.

FWIW, I think going full-wrap is awesome, and a tip of the hat to those that can/choose to do it.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:57 PM
MattSheldon
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not my first rodeo, was just curious and figured I would ask those that actually have some time on their 992's now. I will probably just do the rockers and fronts of the hips. Historically I rarely have any issues with stone chips and such on the front. However my M3's and M4's over the last 6 years have been peppered to death right above the PPF on the quarters. I do not travel down any dirt or gravel roads, however we seem to have a gritty wind here regardless if out in the open or in the mountains.

Great info and conversation here, thank you.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Zippo! Cars need a few battle scars over the years.
The following 4 users liked this post by Archimedes:
aggie57 (08-05-2020), dhull100 (08-25-2020), Master Deep (08-05-2020), MattSheldon (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 PM
Ozy190
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 70 Posts

I did the whole damn thing. You want the color on the whole car to be the same hue. Half covered vs. paint on other half looks off to me.

Its very installer driven. If your installer is an artiste, you'll barely be able to tell its there. Put some ceramic on it and it'll look like gloss 24/7.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:20 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

These are the areas most prone to chipping and what our clients typically opt for:

1. Full Hood
2. Full Front Fenders
3. Front Bumper
4. Mirrors
5. Rear wheel arches

Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

The following 2 users liked this post by Premier:
Atopporsche (08-06-2020), Marantz2270 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Baconator
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

@MattSheldon ...former M3'er here. The 992 hips take a beating... you can argue more than the nose. Sticky tires + road grime ... I hear it all the time... *ding ping ding*. The factory hip guards work, but my PPF company ripped off the factory and went from the sill (bottom of wheel well) to about 3/4 of the hip (rear qtrs). Gives me great peace of mind. I also love the self-healing qualities. I spent significantly more for my paint color, I want to it look good for years.
The following users liked this post:
MattSheldon (08-05-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 06:12 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

you NEED ppf on the rear quarters and front section as far as Im concerned...the 992 takes a beating from rocks like NO other 911 I've ever had. If that doesn't bother you, great...but if it does, you'll want it without ANY doubt. When my 992 turbo comes, I'm wrapping the whole thing AND doing ax extra covering on the back hips. Granted the car will be PTS but...
Old 08-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is a video of a 911 that was keyed / vandalized. Fortunately the car is entirely protected with ClearGuard Alpha PPF and the film was replaced in 4 hours.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:42 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
you NEED ppf on the rear quarters and front section as far as Im concerned...the 992 takes a beating from rocks like NO other 911 I've ever had. If that doesn't bother you, great...but if it does, you'll want it without ANY doubt. When my 992 turbo comes, I'm wrapping the whole thing AND doing ax extra covering on the back hips. Granted the car will be PTS but...
@sechsgang Did you do partial or full PPF on your silver 992? Just asking because from photos you've posted in other threads that car looks fantastic.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:48 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Even the worst PPF jobs will look amazing in photos. My knifed up 992 looked like a showroom car from 6ft back. Social distance style.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:53 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
@sechsgang Did you do partial or full PPF on your silver 992? Just asking because from photos you've posted in other threads that car looks fantastic.
Partial, its got the whole front, above the rocker on the doors, raised on the rear fender but not the whole fender and rear bumper. I've never really noticed anything with the mixing that made me think twice about what's covered and what isn't, but silver hides a lot I guess.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:21 PM
IORR
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

don't forget the Exoshield film on the windshield....it has saved me countless times on my three cars.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,052 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by IORR
don't forget the Exoshield film on the windshield....it has saved me countless times on my three cars.
Personally, as much as I advocate for PPF on the car, I would avoid any type of covering on the windshield (Exoshield, or otherwise).

What happens, at least for me and everyone I know, is that (1) its not installed properly and you get distortions and/or (2) it's installed properly but while the skin protects the glass it ends up leaving pockmarks, which end up trapping dust and dirt, which ends up with a line of sight that's worse than distortion from an improperly installed skin.

Lose-lose, in my opinion.

Most insurance policies cover windshield replacements (sometimes with a small deductible). I just consider windshields a consumable, like tires.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:14 PM
IORR
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Personally, as much as I advocate for PPF on the car, I would avoid any type of covering on the windshield (Exoshield, or otherwise).

What happens, at least for me and everyone I know, is that (1) its not installed properly and you get distortions and/or (2) it's installed properly but while the skin protects the glass it ends up leaving pockmarks, which end up trapping dust and dirt, which ends up with a line of sight that's worse than distortion from an improperly installed skin.

Most insurance policies cover windshield replacements (sometimes with a small deductible). I just consider windshields a consumable, like tires.
I don't have that problem, mine is like its not there.
I use Glistening Perfection and Protective Film Solutions to install....These guys work on LaFerarri, Bugatti, Pagani, Porsche, etc....
Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Couple of comments to your points:
(1) Regarding installation, this is no different than any film - an experienced installer is very important.

(2) I have had ~ 4 years experience with Clearplex on my '17 Macan Turbo since about a week after purchase when the original windshield was shattered. It has no doubt saved the windshield at least 3 or 4 times since then. Yes a hard hit will leave a tiny pit in the film, but you must look to find it. Clearplex did indeed have a bit of an orange peel texture to it that could be seen if you focused on it, but while driving, you look down the road and it was not noticeable.

(2a) I recently had Exoshield installed on my 992 when it was wrapped with Expel at the suggestion of my installer. It is a MUCH better material than Clearplex - completely optically clear and distortion free - you absolutely cannot tell it is there. I was so impressed, I had it put on the Macan to replace the Clearplex and also had it put on my wife's Panamera.

Exoshield is a much harder material than the previous windshield film, I guess due to the nanoceramic top layer.

My insurance does indeed pay for windshields w/ no deductible, but the elimination of the "tiny" pitting that always happens over time even if a chip or crack never develops requiring glass replacement, together with the reduced probability of the need to replace a windshield makes it worth the cost to me.

YMMV.

Quick Reply: PPF protection - how much are you covering?