Sponsored by:

Rear wheel steering - battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020 | 02:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yes, I know there are many Lithium jump starter batteries. These jump starter batteries are lithium batteries (to reduce weight and size). I recently bought a NOCO GB150, which is advertised as an “ultra-safe jump starter Li battery”. What they mean is - their battery is Li. However, when you look at the manual that came with the jumper battery, on the 2nd page of the instruction is says, “to be used ONLY on lead-based or NiMetalHydride batteries...use on other battery chemistries could present a serious fire hazard”. That’s their warning, not mine.

Furthermore, I got the following from my dealership:

Spoke to the Tech, read the manual, you can jump start the car using the special posts, you just cant jump start the battery, complicated but the Li battery is isolated once it drops below a certain voltage. You can damage the battery if it is excessivly discharged but it should not be because it isolates itself.”

So, if I understand what he said correctly, once the Porsche Li battery is depleted below a certain level, a built in safety mechanism isolates the battery from the car’s electrical system, thus preventing any further drain to the battery, which ultimately, could destroy the battery. That’s all good. BUT, it sounds like once the battery is isolated/disconnected, that you may have to take it into the dealership to reactivate?? I do know that the people at Antigravity, who make lithium car batteries, tell you that their batteries have this feature, but that there is a button, or switch on the battery that you have to engage to re-connect the depleted battery to the car;’s electrical system. Bottom line - this is NOT as simple as with a traditional Nimetal hydride or lead based car batteries that we all grew up using. If you jump start the car, but the Lithium battery is not reconnected to the car’s electrical system, then you are running everything on the car from the alternator...
You are correct.

Moreover, the Porsche lithium batteries are proprietary -- meaning the 992 cars have batteries with a specific LIN protocol sensor specific to Porsche's lithium batteries. Which means that there are currently no known, tested aftermarket systems to jump start the OEM battery.

The larger issue, not specific to your own question, is that this means that if/when in the future you need to replace your OEM Porsche lithium battery you have to use a Porsche OEM battery -- the system will not accept an aftermarket option.
Old 07-20-2020 | 02:50 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thumbs up Good thread

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You are correct.

Moreover, the Porsche lithium batteries are proprietary -- meaning the 992 cars have batteries with a specific LIN protocol sensor specific to Porsche's lithium batteries. Which means that there are currently no known, tested aftermarket systems to jump start the OEM battery.

The larger issue, not specific to your own question, is that this means that if/when in the future you need to replace your OEM Porsche lithium battery you have to use a Porsche OEM battery -- the system will not accept an aftermarket option.
Most likely, but I simply don’t know all the details to say for sure. That said, Porsche changing out the standard lead-based battery with a lithium battery when a buyer opts for the rear wheel steering option, seems to present other issues that Porsche owners who select the rear wheel steering option, are not aware of, or thought about....or perhaps, simply don’t care?

I know I learned a lot looking into this issue, and for the modest benefits that rear wheel steering will offer the “casual Porsche driver” (ie, not a track freak), I’m glad that I de-selected this option from my build. Although Porsche shouldn’t worry, as I’m sure I’ll find other options to spend this money on.
Old 07-20-2020 | 02:52 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

You are correct.

So, if the LI battery is disconnected, why can't you use the fuse terminals to jump it and open the frunk? The battery weighs 13lbs. Seems like if you are really worried about it dying, you could carry a spare pretty easily. And I am one of those who is really not worried about it.
The following users liked this post:
Taffy66 (11-27-2022)
Old 07-20-2020 | 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
So, if the LI battery is disconnected, why can't you use the fuse terminals to jump it and open the frunk? The battery weighs 13lbs. Seems like if you are really worried about it dying, you could carry a spare pretty easily. And I am one of those who is really not worried about it.
LOL.

Not sure carrying a spare battery (either lead based or lithium) is really the solution people are looking for. Especially if you have the OEM lithium battery to save weight. Carrying another light weight lithium battery would really defeat that purpose.
Old 07-20-2020 | 03:04 PM
G650
Racer

This video has already been posted in another thread, but I thought it would help to repost here. It specifically covers How to jump start the 992 and the lithium ion battery too.

Skip to 4:51 for the 992;

Old 07-20-2020 | 03:15 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Slightly OT but since you mentioned parking longer term at an airport I will share this true story. I was at the Porsche dealer, talking to one of my favorite mechanics, and was shocked that he had the ENTIRE interior out of the car including the dash. I asked if it was a bad divorce / breakup and he said no, it was a customer's 911 that had been parked at the airport for 3+ weeks in long term parking and several field mice had burrowed into the firewall and made that their new home. When the owner returned from his trip, it was in the middle of the night and very cold, so after warming up the engine some he proceeded to turn the fans on high.

This sent out lots and lots of blood, fur, and mouse parts all over the interior of the car so he was now in the rather lengthy process of getting everything cleaned up / repaired / replaced. I thought he was kidding at first but he assured me it was true, so something else to also consider.
Old 07-20-2020 | 03:20 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by G650
This video has already been posted in another thread, but I thought it would help to repost here. It specifically covers How to jump start the 992 and the lithium ion battery too.

Skip to 4:51 for the 992;

https://youtu.be/kvGI5wvm-d4

Very useful. Thx
Old 07-20-2020 | 03:22 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

LOL.

Not sure carrying a spare battery (either lead based or lithium) is really the solution people are looking for. Especially if you have the OEM lithium battery to save weight. Carrying another light weight lithium battery would really defeat that purpose.
Funny thing is that 2 lithium batteries weigh less than 1 lead acid battery....

And the video does a good job of explaining the procedure for jump starting the Lithium battery.
Old 07-20-2020 | 03:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by russbert
Slightly OT but since you mentioned parking longer term at an airport I will share this true story. I was at the Porsche dealer, talking to one of my favorite mechanics, and was shocked that he had the ENTIRE interior out of the car including the dash. I asked if it was a bad divorce / breakup and he said no, it was a customer's 911 that had been parked at the airport for 3+ weeks in long term parking and several field mice had burrowed into the firewall and made that their new home. When the owner returned from his trip, it was in the middle of the night and very cold, so after warming up the engine some he proceeded to turn the fans on high.

This sent out lots and lots of blood, fur, and mouse parts all over the interior of the car so he was now in the rather lengthy process of getting everything cleaned up / repaired / replaced. I thought he was kidding at first but he assured me it was true, so something else to also consider.
Ugh!

I’ve heard many horror stories of mice (or whatever) crawling into the engine compartment on cold nights - mostly car left outside, but sometimes inside the garage, For whatever reason, the rodents chewed on the electrical wiring, which, over time created all kinds of electrical problems. That chit does happen, whether at an airport or at home.
Old 07-20-2020 | 04:01 PM
G650
Racer

I’ve had my 992 with RAS and the associated Lithium battery for about 8 months now.
I travel frequently for work with trips often running over 14 days, sometimes up to 20 days, consequently returning to a dead battery has been a concern of mine.

So far the battery has been fine upon my return.

Edit:
Just checked the "Battery" section in the "Good to know" app, and it states the following for Lithium batteries:

"The battery will run down even if the vehicle is out of operation.
> To maintain its function, charge the battery approximately every 6 weeks or connect it to a trickle charger suitable fo lithium batteries with a CC/CV or pure CV characteristic.
Porsche recommends the charger and charge maintenance unit form Porsche Tequipment."

So my take away form this is that a healthy battery should be OK for up to 6 weeks. Don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving it much over 4 weeks personally though.

Last edited by G650; 07-20-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2020 | 04:05 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I’ve heard many horror stories of mice (or whatever) crawling into the engine compartment on cold nights - mostly car left outside, but sometimes inside the garage, For whatever reason, the rodents chewed on the electrical wiring, which, over time created all kinds of electrical problems. That chit does happen, whether at an airport or at home.
This happened with my Dad's old BMW 528 that he keeps in Greece. He leaves it parked for 6 months at a time stored inside a garage and one winter a mouse or maybe a rat decided to set up a nest inside of the engine bay. It ate up a bunch of the wiring and plastic engine trim pieces and built a nest and then died in there. It smelled absolutely horrible and the car was never fixed properly after that. So now the radio doesn't work and the headlight washer lines have all been shredded. The car still drives great though, especially for being over 20 years old.

I don't speak Greek, so it was hard for me to understand exactly what they said they now use in the garage to keep pests away, but I think it's napthanele.
Old 07-20-2020 | 04:26 PM
G650
Racer

Originally Posted by AKSteve
This happened with my Dad's old BMW 528 that he keeps in Greece. He leaves it parked for 6 months at a time stored inside a garage and one winter a mouse or maybe a rat decided to set up a nest inside of the engine bay. It ate up a bunch of the wiring and plastic engine trim pieces and built a nest and then died in there. It smelled absolutely horrible and the car was never fixed properly after that. So now the radio doesn't work and the headlight washer lines have all been shredded. The car still drives great though, especially for being over 20 years old.

I don't speak Greek, so it was hard for me to understand exactly what they said they now use in the garage to keep pests away, but I think it's napthanele.
Iv'e been told that leaving a dryer sheet under the hood also works well to keep mice away.
Old 07-20-2020 | 04:30 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by G650
Iv'e been told that leaving a dryer sheet under the hood also works well to keep mice away.
Now I feel even better about not using dryer sheets. Who knew people were coating their clothes with rodent repellent this whole time?
The following 2 users liked this post by AKSteve:
G650 (07-20-2020), markchristenson (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020 | 09:23 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

And it is now the standard battery on the Turbo S. I guess Porsche didn't get the memo....

New lithium-ion lightweight starter battery

Lighter, more powerful, faster: the 911 Turbo S is equipped as standard with a lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4). The new battery offers higher voltage stability and lower internal resistance in comparison with a conventional lead battery. For the driver, this translates into shorter response times and an improved auto start/stop function. Even when the battery charge level is low, the higher performance of the new power store also enables much longer operation of energy-intensive and electric on-board vehicle systems, such as the sound system, with the combustion engine switched off. This means fuel-saving stop phases can be activated more frequently. The LiFePO4 battery has a service life of up to 2.5 times longer than lead-acid batteries and offers up to seven-times higher cycle stability. Thanks to the advanced battery technology and power density, 20 per cent less space is needed and the weight of the on-board battery is reduced by more than half, from 27 kg to 12.75 kg. These features made it possible to reduce the 95 Ah capacity of a conventional lead-acid battery to 60 Ah for the LiFePO4 battery.
Old 07-20-2020 | 11:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll interject some statements being we are a Lithium Starter Battery Company ...

- Regarding the Porsches Lithium battery, that is a new model made by A123 System, should be better than their older attempts which were exceptionally prone to failure, but we'll see.... The fact is McLaren also uses the plug-in A123 Systems battery and those guys seem to be getting 2-3 years out of the battery and that is quite horrible performance for the cost they charge you for a replacement $2500 to $3000. A high end Lithium Battery should be at minimum 6-7 years depending on the individual situation, and more like 8 year and more. So this will be interesting to see how the Porsche Battery does. I have a pet peeve I mentioned in my other posts on this subject... I can't stand when a manufacturer tries to control every single part in the Car. Yes I fully understand it, but it just a way to generate more revenue, and then control the absolute cost of a part. So having a battery that is proprietary to a car will really suck especially if they charge a few thousand and the battery does not last many many years.

- The battery does have a proprietary LIN communications system, it is similar to the McLaren one so it won't work unless you have the Porsche Battery and I am assuming the Mercedes and McLaren A123 models also won't work since they are probably making Proprietary systems for each brand to control the battery and pricing.

- I can't say much about the rear wheel steering improving performance and I have a 2016 GT3 RS. What I can say is that it is based on having the Cars voltage and battery be in good condition and the faults will come if the battery is discharged a bit, same with the power steering since they are both run off electric and when your battery is going bad you will start getting those flags in your Cars that have the RAS. That just some FYI info, but the Lithium should be better since it maintains a higher voltage and does not loose lose capacity as fast as a Lead/Acid Battery. On the other hand I think it just add unnecessary complication to the system and unless you are on the ragged edge you probably wouldn't notice it.

- I am not saying anyone should do this, but if you don't really want the RAS, then go with the non-RAS and you will still be able to put in a Lead acid battery and if you want a Lithium you can still go with a company like ours and have an actually better Lithium Battery that has WIRELESSS BUILT-IN JUMP STARTING so you will never be stranded or locked out of your Frunk. Not this isn't a reason to not go with RAS if that is what you want, I'm just saying you might want to call the Porsche Part department and see what they are charging for thier Lithium battery because if it 2k and its only lasting a 2 or 3 years you might want to consider that seriously because that would be a full on raping of the Customer to have a battery that expensive that isn't lasting over 6 to 8 years.

-Cody you posted a link to one of our Small Powersports/Motorcycle Batteries...

This is the new video I put out about our Car Batteries. It long but you'll learn some stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Vintage72 (07-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Rear wheel steering - battery replacement