Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 as a rough dream

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I live in Alaska, land of the jacked up roads. My 992 does well. The handling is great so I can dodge all the pot holes and debris in the road, and the breaks are amazing so I can slow down quickly for speed bumps and frost heaves. I have yet to bottom out or scrape on anything but a driveway because of the approach angle.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:37 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

It’s usually the lip that scrapes, and you can replace those easily by yourself for a couple hundred bucks. I’ve done it and I’m not particularly adept as a mechanic.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:42 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

We have some steep driveways where I live and scraping is an annoyance but if I were keeping the car stock, I would have skipped FAL. I added FAL as I plan to add adjustable springs that will lower the car and allow me to corner balance it. With SPASM already 10mm lower, the springs will lower another 20-30mm. FAL gets me back 40mm. And adding aftermarket is at least $5k in parts alone. The option is $2770. A no brainer for me.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:06 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but I previously owned a 2016 BMW (F80) M3, which I was constantly scraping the front spoiler lip on driveways, speed bumps, parking stops, etc.
Consequently avoiding this on my new 992 C2S was a huge concern, especially as I went with the 10mm lower Sport PASM option. It turns out I had nothing to worry about.

While I do take care to always negotiate driveways and dips slowly and at an angle, I’ve found that the Porsche actually has a higher lip clearance than my previous M3. Parking stops have also ceased to be a problem too as I’ve found I can much better judge where the front of the car is. The PDC sensor also seems to help tremendously in this area too; If I stop the car when I hear the warning tone become continuous, I find that the lip is consistently 6 inches from the concrete. The PDC also helps with driveways too, again if I hear a continuous tone I just slow to a virtual crawl and the lip clears.

It’s also comforting to know that the front lip is just black plastic, and that minor scrapes can easily be covered up with some sand paper and a black marker. Plus I can always purchase complete replacement lip online for $195 and install it myself if needed.

Quick Reply: 992 as a rough dream