Sponsored by:

Collision Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 AM
bagel
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Collision Warning

I was driving this evening after dusk down an empty 2 lane road and I got "Collision Warning" triangle in the dial where the speedo is. My car is an MT but I felt the engine cut off power and it jerked a tiny bit.

Any idea what can cause this? Bugs maybe? My car doesn't have that hemispherical dome under the bumper like I've seen on some cars so I assumed I didn't have any fancy radar/forward collision mitigation.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 767 Posts

Mine does not have ACC or LKA either and also a MT C4S. I do not think we have collision warning on these, I thought it only came with ACC or LKA (having the front camera). Does yours have LKA?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:57 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I believe that you'll still get the collision warning without PAS, but the car will only hit the brakes on its own if it is ACC/PAS is equipped.
The warning precedes any intervention by the system. Without PAS, I don't think that it cuts engine power. It's possible that you might have been startled by the warning and lifted off just a little bit.

I have triggered the warning going at a high rate of speed on a backroad, heading into a 90 degree lefthander featuring a giant, billboard-style, left arrow. At the time, I actually told the car "calm down, I've got this".

Edit: Note, my own car is ACC/LKA equipped.

The following users liked this post:
Hp12c (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:14 AM
IORR
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Porsche if your reading this, cool it with the nanny sensors......more than enough already.

The majority of 911 buyers don't need this crap.

Last edited by IORR; 06-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IORR:
detansinn (06-18-2020), Noah Fect (06-19-2020), smiles11 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 11:22 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by IORR
Porsche if your reading this, cool it with the nanny sensors......more than enough already.
Porsche had to put all of that stuff in there to keep people, that have more money than skill, from crashing their 911s. "Wet" mode is one such example.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:28 AM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah it is slightly worryingly easy to trigger the collision warning! I'm sure one day it will help avert a small rear-end shunt due to a lack of concentration though
detansinn (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 12:14 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

I have this in my Cayenne and it’ll freak you out, because it triggers much sooner than is necessary IMHO and has no place in a sports car of this level. You’re correct it’s part of PAS - standard equipment...
Old 06-18-2020, 01:21 PM
G650
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 101 Posts

“Porsche Active Safe (PAS – Warning assistant and BrakeAssist) can in certain dangerous situations initiate measures to protect occupants and other road users.

Porsche Active Safe has the following functions1):
  • Distance warning (depending on equipment)
  • Warning and braking functions
  • Preventive occupant protection functions (depending on equipment)
The camera behind the windshield detects the area ahead of the vehicle. An impending frontal collision with other road users can be detected. The system warns the driver visually, acoustically and if necessary through a braking jolt. Where required, the system can support the driver's braking or initiate partial or full deceleration in order to reduce the collision speed or prevent the collision in some circumstances.”

There is a way to adjust the warning and response thresholds of the PAS, and if I recall correctly, turn it off completely through the PCM. I’ll have a look when I next have time and note down the menu steps and post them here.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:34 PM
bagel
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G650
“Porsche Active Safe (PAS – Warning assistant and BrakeAssist) can in certain dangerous situations initiate measures to protect occupants and other road users.

The camera behind the windshield detects the area ahead of the vehicle. An impending frontal collision with other road users can be detected. The system warns the driver visually, acoustically and if necessary through a braking jolt. Where required, the system can support the driver's braking or initiate partial or full deceleration in order to reduce the collision speed or prevent the collision in some circumstances.”

There is a way to adjust the warning and response thresholds of the PAS, and if I recall correctly, turn it off completely through the PCM. I’ll have a look when I next have time and note down the menu steps and post them here.
Nice thanks, I wondered what triggered it as I was on an empty road. Huge moth maybe

Old 06-18-2020, 07:28 PM
G650
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 101 Posts
Default How to turn off Porsche Active Safe:

From The “Settings” menu:
Select “Assistance system settings”
then, “Porsche Active Safe”
then “Collision Warning”

From here you can select the desired warning threshold;
“Early”
”Regular”
”Late”
or “Off”

I’ve found “Late” to give almost zero false alarms. Only very rarely does it give me the pre-warning chime, which is usually about the same time my foot is already applying the necessary braking.

*Edit to add that I suspect this may only turn off the warning chime and brake pulse feature. It’s possible that the final, last moment break application still remains active.

Last edited by G650; 06-19-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Kermit_the_Frog (06-20-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 07:30 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

From The “Settings” menu:
Select “Assistance system settings”
then, “Porsche Active Safe”
then “Collision Warning”

From here you can select the desired warning threshold;
“Early”
”Regular”
”Late”
or “Off”

I’ve found “Late” to give almost zero false alarms. Only very rarely does it give me the pre-warning chime, which is usually about the same time my foot is already applying the necessary braking.
This is extremely helpful. I'll be turning mine OFF for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
G650 (06-18-2020), PBM (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:19 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks, useful information. I can’t turn it off in my Mercedes.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:11 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Mine on my 991.2 TTS just came on for the first time last week. Yellow warning on the PCM cluster. I had to read the manual to figure out what it was. I think I can disable it in vehicle settings.

Quick Reply: Collision Warning