PPF on headlights or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:54 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Most of our customers do them. The reason being is if you do not, it is a near guarantee that you will pick up rock chips on the front end including the lights. Go with a high-end film like ClearGuard Alpha.

Here is our durability and self-healing test between ClearGuard Alpha (by Prestige Film Technologies) and Xpel, Suntek:

If you are not hear us, you can search their Dealer network here (*note: this is a very high-end film, so the # of dealers carrying this film is not going to as many to other films)
http://www.prestige-films.com/dealer-locator/

Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

The following users liked this post:
992Sam (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

My apologies. It was Stek, my fingers typed SunTek. Agree with the refinish, they will not be the same. My neighbor is a professional detailer and restores headlight via wet sanding, polishing and then applying a ceramic coating. It cleans them up but it’s not going to last like the factory UV coating

Personally I would cover them and would not recommend removing and reapplying over time. The other question is will the car be parked in a garage and do you have LED headlights? Parking inside and LED headlight (which run cooler) will put less stress on the headlight film and will preserve the color and clarity longer, hence driving down the need to remove and replace.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:43 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Another very interesting moment in the 1st video starts at 10:50 - 11:00 when he says something like "when you compare the white versus the yellow color, it makes you wonder why you do PPF at all"!

Of course he then explains why he did it (drives in the mountains a lot) but still thought it was interesting.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I hope owners of older 911’s properly appreciate their glass (And replaceable) headlight lenses!
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier
Most of our customers do them. The reason being is if you do not, it is a near guarantee that you will pick up rock chips on the front end including the lights. Go with a high-end film like ClearGuard Alpha.

Here is our durability and self-healing test between ClearGuard Alpha (by Prestige Film Technologies) and Xpel, Suntek:

If you are not hear us, you can search their Dealer network here (*note: this is a very high-end film, so the # of dealers carrying this film is not going to as many to other films)
http://www.prestige-films.com/dealer-locator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8YhVQXawSE&t=1s
PM me with a price quote if you would be willing to remove the SunTek and replace it with your product. I live on the mid Peninsula ... can make it to most spots in the SF Bay Area
Old 03-21-2022, 04:13 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Bumping this thread to see if there’s any newer info or feedback regarding PPFing the headlights?

My car is going to the installer today, so I need to decide. I’m most likely going to do it, but they only use Xpel so I’m debating whether to have them do it or apply a different less adhesive film myself.

Which films are less adhesive than Xpel? Also would ceramic coating the lights before applying the film give an added layer of protection to the OEM laminate layer or just make it worse when removing?
The following users liked this post:
ANGST (03-22-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 11:54 AM
rbrenn
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Bump . . . as I have the exact same situation as Rxpert describes above. I also wonder whether the LED lights (that should run cooler) would be less of an issue than the older halogen or xenon lights?
Old 03-29-2022, 12:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrenn
Bump . . . as I have the exact same situation as Rxpert describes above. I also wonder whether the LED lights (that should run cooler) would be less of an issue than the older halogen or xenon lights?
I have had a couple GT3s and a GT4.

If you are tracking you car I would do this and just have a competent detailer who can replace the film after they become intolerable.

If I was not tracking I would not do it. I have it done. I have an incoming GTS and I am not even going to do any PPF because I am driving mostly on the street and I just care less as i get older
Old 03-29-2022, 04:23 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,462 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I have XPel on my 992 headlights, and had it on my 991.2 headlights too.

I understand the hesitation but think it's well worth it.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:46 PM
Stanley Rous
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 30 Posts

Had full Xpel PPF last week and was undecided on the headlights. Decided to go ahead and all went well. Detailer did raise it as a concern and said they have had one go awry previously but thankfully mine seems good. Guess the next I will know will be if I ever need to remove it.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:50 PM
rbrenn
Instructor

Stanley, I wonder how the dealer knows if it went well immediately following installation since the issue is the long term affect of the adhesives upon removal after some period of time. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:13 PM
Stanley Rous
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 30 Posts

Stanley, I wonder how the dealer knows if it went well immediately following installation since the issue is the long term affect of the adhesives upon removal after some period of time. Thanks for the post.
My only knowledge of the problem was what I’d read on here. ​​​​​​When I asked the detailer I used I was told “it’s more when the film fully dries it contracts slightly. This can be enough to lift loose lacquer or this coating. It’s only ever happened to us once, but it’s important we point out the risk, however slight.”
Old 04-07-2022, 06:08 PM
rbrenn
Instructor

My installer who does a lot of Xpel Ultimate jobs recommends NOT putting it on Porsche headlights. He said if you're tracking your car (I do a couple of weekends a year), he suggested using Xpel's Tracwrap https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-...-film/tracwrap which you can put on for the weekend and then take off without any problem. Has anyone tried that?
Old 04-07-2022, 07:33 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

My installer who does a lot of Xpel Ultimate jobs recommends NOT putting it on Porsche headlights. He said if you're tracking your car (I do a couple of weekends a year), he suggested using Xpel's Tracwrap https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-...-film/tracwrap which you can put on for the weekend and then take off without any problem. Has anyone tried that?
Did he explain his reasoning for not putting it on?
Old 04-08-2022, 12:58 PM
gearbo
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my lights done as a suggestion by my SA, wish I had done my windshield also, very pock marked now.

Quick Reply: PPF on headlights or not?