Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 02:37 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

That sounds very promising—here’s to hoping the SA comes through on the deal!!!
Old 05-10-2020, 04:02 PM
markanth
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I've read many of your posts, seems if:
1. you are going to buy a 992;
2. this particular car has options that you deem worthwhile and not stuffed with paid options thus upping the MSRP that you find superfluous; and
3. you get a super discount now (much better than if you were to order from factory)
then, yes, Buy the car.

Regard, Mark
The following users liked this post:
JCWLS3 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 PM
C6Z06to911992
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
PS - C6Z06to911992, I enjoyed reading your post. I think you'd be surprised about the number of people here who aren't pulling down $500K a year as corporate attorneys. My wife and I are regular white-collar drones with jobs that are nothing special. However, we've been at the same jobs with the same organizations for nearly 50 years between us (geez, that makes us sound old when I read that). We've been financially conservative during the 31 years we've been together, socking away money and living beneath our means our whole lives. We have zero debt, with a government pension locked in and money / very conservative investments in the bank. I love to read about regular folks who are able to reach out and buy these stupidly expensive but awesome cars because of good work and sound financial planning.
Thanks, I’m glad you understand my point, and that you and your wife do not take this purchase lightly, you’ve obviously worked long and hard to get where you are. I want to be clear that I’m not in any way begrudging those that have attained a lifestyle/net worth I’ll never know. Also as you point out, not all on this forum are “pulling down $500K a year as corporate attorneys”, to those that are, I take my hat off to you.

I’ve worked hard for many years to reach a financial milestone where after dealing with day to day life, purchasing a comfortable home, putting my daughter through college, etc...I’m now able to afford an extravagant (for me) purchase of a new 911. I’m happy to wait for the car I ordered, I enjoy the anticipation, envisioning the rhapsodic elation when I see it for the first time...

Judging by the full content of your post, you and your wife are fully happy with your well thought out decision, no regrets. You’ve done your research, the car checks the boxes that matter most, a well executed deal is likely coming to fruition. You’ll have a 911 that puts a huge grin on both your faces, that’s really all that matters...well done!

And in the end, as I’ve said, it’s your decision, yours and yours only.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:57 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Hopefully the deal goes through for you, looking forward to seeing the car!

I'm in the same boat as y'all. I'm not rich by any means and can't afford a 911 yet but one day will and I'll save for it.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:42 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Here's where we're at.....
Sounds like you have just the right balance of ‘excitement’ plus ‘head screwed on tight’. It’s a very nicely sorted car, particularly with your upgrades. SA is clearly working hard too.

Fingers crossed everything goes through without a hitch. I am excited for you. All in time for the good weather too 👍
Old 05-12-2020, 09:58 AM
swagon
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Hope the deal goes through on the car, OP!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:01 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Update #2

First, thanks to everyone again for your posts and opinions. I took a flier and paid a little money to join this forum. Best few bucks I've spent in years, this side of a six-pack of good IPA.

We finalized the parameters of the deal today. Handed over a refundable deposit via credit card. The dealer's big concern -- rightfully, I agree -- is getting their hands on our trade ASAP. Like yesterday. The problem is, the baubles and add-ons I requested, such as full frontal XPEL PPF (bumper, full bonnet, fenders and side mirrors -- silver is just about the worst color I know for showing stone chips), the black logo change, and SunTek CIR ceramic window tint, will take about a week.

The dealer is about 250 miles from our house, in Houston. So I agreed to drive the SS down this Thursday, hand them the keys and let them confirm their valuation, sign the purchase docs and pay them their money, and drive back in a loaner for a week or so. Then my wife and I will drive down again and pick the car up, have a little road trip coming back in a 992 C2S. Hard to believe.

I talked with our SA for the first time today -- everything had been done by text and email so far. Really good guy. Turns out he's an American V8 guy too -- special-ordered a 2020 Challenger SRT Widebody Scat-Pack (try saying that three times fast) and took delivery a few months ago. So we had one of those "bro" conversations about displacement and horsepower and loud, obnoxious exhausts. He's one of the main reasons our trade was pushed and valued so high -- he knows what the car is, and understands its rarity and (comparative) value.

I'll post back late in the week after I get back. It'll be binary in tone: Either I'll be Eeoyre because some bait-and-switch tricky stuff got pulled at the last second ("Sorry, we've decided that SS is a POS now that we see it. How's $25K sound for it?"). Or, far more likely I think, I'll get to tell you all about my loaner Cayenne or Macan, and try to explain how excited I am to make a SECOND damned drive into Houston in the near future. (Lived in Texas for 45 years. Been to Houston exactly one time, which was enough. No offense, Houston people. But you know the damned truth.)

Cheers, fellas. Keep the ol' fingers crossed for us.

slwong23 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Sweet! I’m envious—can’t wait to hear that it all worked out as planned!
Old 05-13-2020, 12:48 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Lived in Texas for 45 years. Been to Houston exactly one time, which was enough. No offense, Houston people. But you know the damned truth.
Uh, no we don't. But then, I've never been to Midlothian.

Good luck on your deal.
JCWLS3 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS

Good luck on your deal.
I spent a lot of time in Houston and I loved everything about it except the humidity. Good luck with this car--it looks stunning!
The following 2 users liked this post by Metalblond:
HouTexCarreraS (05-13-2020), JCWLS3 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:42 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
You've never been to the Cement Capitol of Texas? Really? Make a trip up here. Plan for two days. I'll tour you through all THREE of our cement plants. It'll change your life.

Houston is a cool, metropolitan oil town. I went in August and was an idiot, trying the freeways on a late weekday afternoon. You want me to go on?

Thanks for the kind words and wishes. I'll let you know. Stop by your westernmost Porsche dealer in the morning and look for the guy (hopefully) signing paperwork on that silver C2S. Love to meet you!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:51 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

You've never been to the Cement Capitol of Texas? Really? Make a trip up here. Plan for two days. I'll tour you through all THREE of our cement plants. It'll change your life.

Houston is a cool, metropolitan oil town. I went in August and was an idiot, trying the freeways on a late weekday afternoon. You want me to go on?

Thanks for the kind words and wishes. I'll let you know. Stop by your westernmost Porsche dealer in the morning and look for the guy (hopefully) signing paperwork on that silver C2S. Love to meet you!
Yeah, pretty much what you would expect in the heat of the summer on the Coastal Plain in the 4th most populated city in the US. I'm a big city guy myself and like to enjoy all that has to offer--born and raised here just like my parents, so I'm a little partial.

I bought my special order car at Porsche West Houston as well--enjoyable experience (especially since it only took 2 months for my car to come in).
Old 05-14-2020, 02:15 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like you are 90% pulling the trigger, so I don't know if my two cents are welcome, so I apologize if this is unwanted.

I have nothing negative to say about the color choices or the build. Aesthetics are subjective, and options are mostly personal.

What I will say is that I have spent about a month looking for the right deal, and I finally pulled the trigger a few days ago. I think the deal you have on offer is a fair one, but not a great one. I don't think 8% off MSRP is particularly difficult to find right now, particularly if you are open to shopping dealerships across the nation, and potentially having the car trucked to you. I think you should be shooting for the colors you want and 10%.

Again, apologies if my thoughts on this are unwanted cold water. If you dig the car and the deal, go for it.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:06 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by French Blue
Sounds like you are 90% pulling the trigger, so I don't know if my two cents are welcome, so I apologize if this is unwanted.

I have nothing negative to say about the color choices or the build. Aesthetics are subjective, and options are mostly personal.

What I will say is that I have spent about a month looking for the right deal, and I finally pulled the trigger a few days ago. I think the deal you have on offer is a fair one, but not a great one. I don't think 8% off MSRP is particularly difficult to find right now, particularly if you are open to shopping dealerships across the nation, and potentially having the car trucked to you. I think you should be shooting for the colors you want and 10%.

Again, apologies if my thoughts on this are unwanted cold water. If you dig the car and the deal, go for it.
What is with this obsession to save another 2%, especially when a trade in is involved where the valuation can swing a deal in either direction and the logistics can be cumbersome? I think for some people, squeezing the last nickel out of a deal is more important than the car itself.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:02 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

OP to add on here, I did a similar thing with my new GT4.
I was going to be waiting months (like, until September at least) to get into a new GT4 spec'd exactly how I wanted. Then one shows up on AutoTrader (in Florida - I'm in Ohio) with about 95% of what I want.
I had my name on it in a couple of hours, and 2 weeks later (last week!) it was mine.

The only thing missing was Navigation (which I mostly use my phone anyway) and a couple other do-dads I could have done without to save $$. Overall, it was ~$2k more than what I intended to spend, but it was almost exactly what I wanted and I wouldn't be waiting until fall or early winter to get the car.
Like others have said: if the compromise on a couple of options is worth the extra time in getting the car now (and sounds like you got a good deal - I'm stuck paying MSRP because GT car) then it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this car?