Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an art to driveway apron dancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 02:33 PM
junior tractor
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there an art to driveway apron dancing?

Open question. Here's some food for thought;
  • Discount speed all together OR, is there an optimum spd/angle ratio?
  • Obviously the height from street level to driveway apron is to be considered as well as the steepness of the incline.
  • Okay, that's what the bottom fascia is all about? Yes, I had an extra in stock after my 991.2GTS got a few battle scars.
  • Tired of putting a 2X4 at the lip of the apron? and risk possible harm to whoever?
  • And this is just your driveway. Park in the street at the cleaners, coffee, restaurants that are left, beaches (maybe no chance), your friends house? - don't think so.
  • Okay, everything was pretty much drive up before the virus and it certainly will be after the virus (for maybe extended period of time).
So. Back to the original question. Is there an art to driveway dancing? My 992 S will be here in less than 30 days and it is that silly 100 mm lower!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:03 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

FAL
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

I have the PSAM (10MM lower) on my new 992, just got it, but been putting it through its paces. I actually went to a place today that has monstrous speed bumps (I cannot get over them with my 720s with front end lift) - they are more wedges than speed bumps they are so narrow and tall. I did not have a problem at all with them. No one was in the lot, so I pulled up to them, checked the clearance and had just enough clearance coming in at a bit of an angle. I do not have FAL on my 992...

Not sure of your driveway, so YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
detansinn (04-19-2020), junior tractor (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:01 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Hit it on angle and you will be fine. The 911 isn't particularly low, but its those big overhangs that require a little consideration. I've yet to encounter anything where I felt like I needed FAL and I live in Pennsylvania, land of horrific approach angles. My C4S has SPASM and it's a non-issue.

At my old house, I used Bridjit (https://www.bridjit.com/) ramps, because we had that concrete "curb/sidewalk in one" kind of transition. While it was possible to crab my way in, the Bridjit ramps made it a non-event. They're pretty great and you won't risk damaging anything like you might with a 2x4. I highly recommend them if your driveway transition is going to give you ulcers.

junior tractor (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:37 PM
junior tractor
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the input. Approaching at an angle, but then turning slightly when which ever front tire meets the apron first. There is a sweet spot because I have made it through without a scrape at times but the repeatability is not good. The Bridjit sounds good thanks for that. I just got to remember to remove it before the snow plow comes, if it comes. I almost bit on the FAL but then I got to worrying about weight and just something more that could go wrong. But I am sure its not a problem its just no first hand knowledge - couldn't talk to someone that had it and yea, a few more thousand to add on to a $140K. I know, hard not to stop adding all those "extras" when everyone you come up on is only a ridiculous small percentage of the whole, right?
detansinn (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:44 PM
junior tractor
Intermediate

I'll correct the 100 mm, I'd like to say it was misprint but then someone would accuse me of being a politician.

10mm
Old 04-19-2020, 07:53 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

I make sure to be a bit cautious approaching numps, or leaving the gas station.. I just take the car at an angle. I drove my buddy's McLaren 600LT and that car was scraping all over the place (not when I was driving it). Even on a slightly inclined driveway the car was scraping. My 911 is also lowered the 10mm extra and I have had no issues. I guess I had one scrape but I didn't even realize it until I saw it underneath the bumper. Especially if you're mostly concerned about your driveway, approach it at any angle you see fit and you'll be fine.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:26 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by crimewave
I make sure to be a bit cautious approaching numps, or leaving the gas station.. I just take the car at an angle. I drove my buddy's McLaren 600LT and that car was scraping all over the place (not when I was driving it). Even on a slightly inclined driveway the car was scraping. My 911 is also lowered the 10mm extra and I have had no issues. I guess I had one scrape but I didn't even realize it until I saw it underneath the bumper. Especially if you're mostly concerned about your driveway, approach it at any angle you see fit and you'll be fine.
If you know you need it or even think you will, I would always error on the side of getting it. I bought this one off the lot, so I did not have an option. All my other exotics (Ferrari and McLaren) have it, as did my others before that. This one likely does not need it, but if you have a sharp incline, not worth worrying about, spend the extra and get it for if nothing else peace of mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
crimewave (04-19-2020), junior tractor (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes there is an art (experience) to it and it can be done without FAL and with a painted front fascia that is on a lowered car. In this situation it is not a consumable. I learned the tolerances, where I couldn’t take it and to never pull to far forward in a parking spot. No cameras or sensors. Not one scratch!
detansinn (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:25 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

thank god i got to test drive a 4s before ordering my 2s

i have an app on my phone which has a digital protractor and from the street
to the approach was 6°- drive levels off after that.

The test car was brought right to the worst position and I got out of the car to
discover 1/2" of clearance with no weight in the car and no movement....

I went back to the dealer and added the front axle lift to my order
the car has the sport front end and that is about 1/2" lower than standard and
it is painted...
The following 2 users liked this post by stevensivak:
Freddie Two Bs (04-19-2020), junior tractor (04-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Is there an art to driveway apron dancing?