Sponsored by:

Everyone's 0-60 Times

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:43 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 639 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
For Break in Period - read this: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9214...r-991-a-3.html
There are 100's of threads, and no real answer. My suggestion: for the first 500 miles or so, keep it under 4500 RPM, and then have at it. Some say 2000miles, some say doesn't need any.

I do the first 500 miles under 4000 RPM - more to get to know the car, understand the dynamics and feel, etc. The break in is more for me than the car, and figure doesn't hurt to let everything "break in" for 500 miles.

On launch control: Also there are dozens of threads on this. Also tons of videos. In one particular video they launch the 991.2 Turbo S like 100 times in a row, back to back, with no apparent problems.

Do as much as you would like, be safe about it and aware of your surroundings.
I think this is good advice, and would only add that after the first 500 (or so) miles you vary the RPM. I think it's better to have a lot of RPM variation than it is to keep the RPM below a somewhat arbitrary figure. IIRC, each engine gets a bench test that sees redline, so your cars has already been redlined before you get it :-)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:24 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Kleim
Porsche is very clear that they recommend 2000 miles before allowing revs over 4-5K. Many people substitute their own judgement because, well, we apparently buy a Porsche knowing that their engineers are dumb. I will follow the expert recommendations.
I mostly took it easy for the first 2,000 miles. I had the oil changed at 2,000 miles as well.

But.... there are a few pieces of possible misinformation that seem to float around about Porsche's and the break-in procedure. One is that in Germany, Porsche doesn't specify any type of break-in procedure. I've heard they only do this in America. Another is that that the engines are "broken in at the factory" and are good to go from day 1.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:18 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 352 Posts

My experience with race engines is you build them and put them on the dyno. They are "broken in" on the dyno. Of course, the engine tolerances are looser than stock. Power goes up as the motor gets more miles and the rings seat better. There are millions of ideas about break in, but the science is on race motors. Do whatever you need to do to keep the warranty and then drive it like you stole it.
The following users liked this post:
Vintage72 (07-01-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
Anybody 0-60 a 7mt yet?

Im curious if you actually really lose almost a second doing a manual shift, in a lighter car that only needs one shift to 60...

...or if they just put a really conservative figure out there as part of there scheme to stomp out what’s left of MT demand.
I was playing around yesterday, and did a few runs to 60 in my 992 C4S manual to see what kind of times it would do.

I was using a iPhone based app called Race Timer, which sucks and probably not accurate. I first did a couple of normal driving to see how my speedo calibrated according to this app and a standard speed GPS app (I use the 2nd one on my jeep to see how much the larger tires changed the speed, and what I needed to tweak the settings to adjust properly) Firstly, both apps showed my speedo on my porsche was about 2mph quicker than what the apps said - ok somewhat interesting. Again most of this phone based apps suck, but looks like the speedo may read a tad quicker than in actuality.

I have my Vbox in my maclaren 720, but didn't move it to the 992 for this test. May do it later to get more accurate reading.

All runs on a relatively flat stretch and decent road. All runs was from complete stop, without slipping the clutch for added RPM gain that you can get. Since I am at 1K miles, I did not try and kill the start or drop the clutch for best start.

All test were in sport mode:

First run - 4.2 second (decent start, my shift to second was a bit slower than run 3)
Second run - 4.5 seconds (Bad start, and horrible shift to 2nd) - you would think I never drove a stick shift..)
Third run 4.0 seconds (This was a good run, smooth start and shift to second was quick).

You could definitely get to a 3.8 seconds with the manual C4S or S if pushing it. Which would put it about the Base Carrera with PDK and Sports Chrono time.

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 06-28-2020 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
G650 (10-12-2020), Todd C (06-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 PM
LuisMa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a Draggy, on a 2.3% slope, with a full tank of gas, overfilled tires, 84 degrees F and a DA of 2084 ft, got a 3.51s 0-60mph with 1 ft rollout. Car is a 17 C4S with 67,000 miles, stock. Will be getting an APR stage 1 tune in July, so I’ll post comparison numbers afterwards.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Kansas32
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

What chip tuning did you use on your base goDragy?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisMa
Using a Draggy, on a 2.3% slope, with a full tank of gas, overfilled tires, 84 degrees F and a DA of 2084 ft, got a 3.51s 0-60mph with 1 ft rollout. Car is a 17 C4S with 67,000 miles, stock. Will be getting an APR stage 1 tune in July, so I’ll post comparison numbers afterwards.
Those are strong numbers (is that is a manual trans or pdk).

I will hook up the vbox, or buy and extra dragy for this car and do a few runs.

With a 1 foot roll out that would improve my times I posted above, the cheap app that I used did not allow for it. That would be a few 10ths better than what I recorded from dead stop. I will do a few runs this coming weekend with a real app to see what the real story is on the 992 manual.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kleim
Porsche is very clear that they recommend 2000 miles before allowing revs over 4-5K. Many people substitute their own judgement because, well, we apparently buy a Porsche knowing that their engineers are dumb. I will follow the expert recommendations.
Porsche is also on record as stating that they recommend this to their US customers, while simultaneously recommending that their European customers drive their cars flat out from day one, if they wish.

You can draw your own conclusions there, but to me it sounds like the special advice given to US customers is less about mechanical issues than legal ones.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 822 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
Porsche is also on record as stating that they recommend this to their US customers, while simultaneously recommending that their European customers drive their cars flat out from day one, if they wish.

You can draw your own conclusions there, but to me it sounds like nothing more than a legal thing.
it's printed right in the owners manual in black and white... limit to 4000RPM until 2K .. Please don't make me screen shot it, the owners manual is buried in my glovebox! 😭
Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by 992Sam
it's printed right in the owners manual in black and white... limit to 4000RPM until 2K .. Please don't make me screen shot it, the owners manual is buried in my glovebox! 😭
And if Porsche also printed in the owners manual of US-market 992s that the car could drive underwater? Or fly?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:44 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

And if Porsche also printed in the owners manual of US-market 992s that the car could drive underwater? Or fly?
Then there is the engineer / pilot mind that I have that tells me that the laws of physics (friction being among them) makes it such that a brand new engine running at max power is guaranteed to wear a lot faster than one that's had time to seat bearings and rings .. 😂👍
Old 06-29-2020, 11:15 PM
LuisMa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Those are strong numbers (is that is a manual trans or pdk).

I will hook up the vbox, or buy and extra dragy for this car and do a few runs.

With a 1 foot roll out that would improve my times I posted above, the cheap app that I used did not allow for it. That would be a few 10ths better than what I recorded from dead stop. I will do a few runs this coming weekend with a real app to see what the real story is on the 992 manual.
PDK. From dead stop was 3.71s, and 60 ft time was 1.79s.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:48 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Then there is the engineer / pilot mind that I have that tells me that the laws of physics (friction being among them) makes it such that a brand new engine running at max power is guaranteed to wear a lot faster than one that's had time to seat bearings and rings .. 😂👍
Unless, according to Porsche, that engine is being run in Europe?
Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Unless, according to Porsche, that engine is being run in Europe?
they do a very quick dyno I believe and about 3 miles on a track... not anywhere near enough, but hey... it's your car, do as you like... just don't sell it to me
Old 06-30-2020, 01:10 AM
French Blue
Instructor

they do a very quick dyno I believe and about 3 miles on a track... not anywhere near enough, but hey... it's your car, do as you like... just don't sell it to me
To be clear again, Porsche has stated that they tell their European customers that running their cars flat out when new is fine... So you wouldn’t buy any used Euro-spec 911?

Quick Reply: Everyone's 0-60 Times