Sponsored by:

SPASM on Carrera S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default SPASM on Carrera S Cab

I keep thinking to myself if the SPASM option makes sense on a Carrera S Cab? Since I won't be driving it on the track will I miss not having it? Most of my driving will be driving events with various local clubs and the occasional trip to Napa. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2020, 07:02 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

I did't get it on my C2S. Bought it as more of a GT car and DD and wasn't interested in having the suspension any lower or stiffer since it will never be tracked.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:22 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

I went around the houses on this too. I posted at length about my option choices here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1164...y-992-a-4.html

In short I wanted a canyon thrashing sports car rather than a track weapon too. This iteration of SPASM is definitely adaptable enough for road use in a cabriolet. I find the sport setting greatly increases ‘feel’ and therefore confidence in corners. The only qualification is if your local roads are not well maintained, then I think it would be fatiguing.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 755 Posts

I had a S 991.1, base 991.2, both cab. Took the latter to the track constantly.
The SPASM is the singe best thing in the chassis balance on the 992. If you intend to drive it spiritedly on public roads in a manner that won't land you in jail, the base suspension is fine. If there's track involved, SPASM is a must have.
On a prior thread about track day I uploaded a video of the 992 cab with SPASM, I'll see if I can find.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:39 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I had a S 991.1, base 991.2, both cab. Took the latter to the track constantly.
The SPASM is the singe best thing in the chassis balance on the 992. If you intend to drive it spiritedly on public roads in a manner that won't land you in jail, the base suspension is fine. If there's track involved, SPASM is a must have.
On a prior thread about track day I uploaded a video of the 992 cab with SPASM, I'll see if I can find.
I thought you couldn't take a cab to tracks like Sonoma or Laguna Seca. Am I mistaken?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:51 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz
I thought you couldn't take a cab to tracks like Sonoma or Laguna Seca. Am I mistaken?
I've never been to those, so I don't know.
In my PCA region you can as long as there's a pop-up anti-roll bar. From the 996/986 on all P-cars have it. More advanced groups may require a roll cage, cab or not. Laps inc and MVP track time also abide for that.
I know some organizations won't allow for convertibles, no matter what, some bmw cca chapters, I believe
Old 03-11-2020, 09:29 PM
jkwb
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Front article on the C&D website would suggest the suspension upgrade is at least a reasonable thing to consider. I went for it on my build...

Quick Reply: SPASM on Carrera S Cab