Sponsored by:

992 C2S Cabrio - Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 01:49 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 992 C2S Cabrio - Electrical Issues

I've had this car since November and really love it. But, I am having some electrical issues - would love some thoughts on this:

1. First month, putting the top 'back up' would also put the front and rear windows up (provided you keep pressure on the button). The windows no longer do this - even with repeated attempts. I raise the front and rear windows independently. Any thoughts on this? Kinda frustrating.

2. Having the handles pop-out, unlock the doors - mostly works. I found hitting my fingers under the handle with some authority helps, but I'm not 100%

3. Waving your hand over the Porsche badge to open the frunk. Well, this sometimes works, but even when it does you need to move your hand for a while.

4. My PCM died. Black screen. Brought it in and it was replaced, but I was without a PCM for a month. No radio, nav, CarPlay, homelink, some settings hidden, etc. I was told the 2020's are having PCM issues.

Curious if others are having this pain - I may bring it back in for the convertible top issue.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

I know that many people have had trouble with the "Comfort Access" things you mentioned (keyless trunk & door 2 & 3) and the system seems poor on the 992s I've tested. It's too bad because it seems to work well on other Porsche models. Personally I'd ask my dealership to credit me the cost of the "Comfort Access" option unless they can make it work perfectly.

They made you wait a month to get the PCM replaced? Yikes. That sounds like more of a dealership problem. I mean, yes, it's bad that the PCM died but it's a common problem for all modern cars (this is what happens when you effectively stick ipads in cars!) and should be a quick fix.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:46 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep - a month. It took 3-4 days to get an appt. & diagnose that it was in fact dead. Then the part hard to be ordered - they did put a rush on it but it may have come from Germany (that was a couple weeks) - then another appt for the replacement ....
The following users liked this post:
tcirillo (03-02-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:13 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts
Angry We are not alone...still not making it feel any better

I've had mine (C2S cab) since September and can't wait to get rid of it! I've got all the same issues you do and NO ONE has been able to resolve them. Still amazes me that Porsche has NOTHING to say about a $160k vehicle whose electrical/technology gremlins are akin to a late '70's FIAT spider! I've called and written to no avail. This after owning over 30+ P-cars over the years is astounding to me. Anyway, I'm driving the hell out of it since mileage won't affect the bath I'll take on trade-in in May for a much more analog (read non-digital gauge cluster, real ***** for accessories, NA, 6spd) Cayman GT4. Love the performance......Hate the car!!
The following 2 users liked this post by labcars:
chance6 (03-03-2020), tcirillo (03-02-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 08:27 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

What about lemon laws?
Old 02-29-2020, 10:00 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevensivak
What about lemon laws?
Lemon Laws could apply for some. In my case, I bought the car and "officially" took delivery in September '19, but didn't physically take possession of it until shipped to me in AZ in mid October, as I was out of the country on business and then waited for the transport. As it was bought in PA, the law there requires the first reports of the issues which could lead to a lemon law claim be noted and reported to the selling dealer within 30 days of ownership. That said, I think the issues being discussed here are too widespread (i.e., many owners, not just me) for my car to have been a unique "lemon", and PCNA should take ownership/responsibility of these issues. Not great brand PR.
tcirillo (03-02-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 10:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by labcars
Lemon Laws could apply for some. In my case, I bought the car and "officially" took delivery in September '19, but didn't physically take possession of it until shipped to me in AZ in mid October, as I was out of the country on business and then waited for the transport. As it was bought in PA, the law there requires the first reports of the issues which could lead to a lemon law claim be noted and reported to the selling dealer within 30 days of ownership. That said, I think the issues being discussed here are too widespread (i.e., many owners, not just me) for my car to have been a unique "lemon", and PCNA should take ownership/responsibility of these issues. Not great brand PR.
If you have owned that many Porsches and purchased most of them new, PCNA should take care of you. Call them. I owned over 30, mostly new, as well and they have stepped up for me over the years when I have had to call them. Dealers usually do as well, but a few times dealer got vetoed by someone regional and I had to go up the chain. PCNA are pretty cool to work with if you are pretty established in their system.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:17 AM
Myk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my C2S cab today, and I'm already having the window issues similar to what you're describing. When I put the top up, the drivers rear window goes up, but the passenger side window gets stuck and goes back down. The side windows sometimes go up, but not always.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Btw, what is it with car parts and the “waiting to get it from Germany” 3-4 weeks thing? Everything I order otherwise comes within a week regardless of where it is in the world... my favorite shoe store in stockholm gets stuff to NJ in 2-3 days.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:25 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Myk
I just picked up my C2S cab today, and I'm already having the window issues similar to what you're describing. When I put the top up, the drivers rear window goes up, but the passenger side window gets stuck and goes back down. The side windows sometimes go up, but not always.
Do you think Porsche doesn't know of these issues? Can't imagine that they don't, but not word to the dealers nor any outreach to the owners.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:17 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by labcars
Do you think Porsche doesn't know of these issues? Can't imagine that they don't, but not word to the dealers nor any outreach to the owners.
That is surprisingly crappy of PCNA . . .
tcirillo (03-02-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 AM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Per GratedWasabi, I'd pursue crediting an owners cost of a feature that doesn't work. Maybe after the third attempt to repair?
Dealers/Manufacturer doesn't care that it takes hours out of somebody's day to take a car in for repair...'under warranty' doesn't mean it's not inconvenient.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
I'd pursue crediting an owners cost of a feature that doesn't work.
If only I could get a satellite radio refund since that feature doesn't work in Alaska
Old 03-01-2020, 07:08 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought SAT was a subscription?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
I thought SAT was a subscription?
You know what, I don't even know if they charge extra for it anymore. I know on previous cars that I've owned, satellite radio was an option you had to pay extra for and then you would usually get a free subscription to the service for a period of time. Maybe they just throw SAT radios into every car now.

Quick Reply: 992 C2S Cabrio - Electrical Issues