992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020 | 12:22 PM
Aventurine 992
Instructor

Another winter morning in Montreal. Very good driving on "Wet mode" this morning

The following 6 users liked this post by Aventurine 992:
JMartinni (03-01-2020), KLOC (03-16-2023), moomin (02-27-2020), phefner (02-19-2020), Spike Spiegel (12-21-2021), UncleDude (12-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2020 | 09:50 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Frosty
Attached Images  
The following 4 users liked this post by John Mclane:
AKSteve (02-26-2020), Aventurine 992 (02-26-2020), KLOC (03-16-2023), Patriot (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020 | 12:10 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

I keep checking Tire Rack's website for winter wheels/tires and they still have just the one wheel available. The O.Z. Leggera HLT in either gray or gloss black. Seeing this pic on the O.Z. website makes me think this might be the route I end up going when I get my 992. Hopefully with an all 20" set-up rather than the staggered 20"/21" set-up. But that setup does look nice here:

The following users liked this post:
Aventurine 992 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020 | 12:16 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

And speaking of winter driving, this looks fun (but expensive, of course): https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/ev...ro-experience/

And just imagine the winter traction with tires like these:

Old 02-26-2020 | 08:58 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

To the op, where do you live to get that snow.
Old 02-26-2020 | 10:36 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
To the op, where do you live to get that snow.
Chicagoland. Those are barely flurries...
Old 02-29-2020 | 10:55 PM
OmniBlade
Advanced

I wasn't doing so well on the stock tires, but I put these on and now it handles like a dream. I only have 160 miles on the odometer but I feel confident I can use the 992 C4S as a daily driver as easily as the Macan GTS.

Stock Tires, cleaning the driveway.

All-Season Continental ProContact
AKSteve (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 11:45 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

^Another 992 owner from Anchorage. It looks like you bought the white 4S. I just picked up the Chalk one yesterday.

Also, did you get those tires locally or have to order them? I have a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 5's on the way from TireRack as we speak. Sounds funny, but I bought the car without even driving it. It's my 6th 911 and I bought all of the others out of state and had them shipped up to Alaska. I've loved every car, so I guess I trust Porsche at this point.
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:24 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

I got the tires on TireRack also. Yeah I got the white one, lol. I wanted to custom order one but I didn't want to wait, so I picked the white one, it was closest to the spec I wanted. I think I may just wrap it though, not that fond of white, though it is growing on me.

6th? Damn I need to get on your level. This is only my second Porsche but I am happy with it.
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:45 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OmniBlade
I got the tires on TireRack also. Yeah I got the white one, lol. I wanted to custom order one but I didn't want to wait, so I picked the white one, it was closest to the spec I wanted. I think I may just wrap it though, not that fond of white, though it is growing on me.

6th? Damn I need to get on your level. This is only my second Porsche but I am happy with it.
Congratulations on the new car! I'm glad you're happy with it. You'll soon discover that once you have a 911, you're pretty much hooked for life.

Just out of curiosity, did the dealer try to get you to get the car clear wrapped? I was first quoted $7,500 for the whole car, which I think is ridiculous. Then $6,600, but I still passed on that deal.The way car dealers push clear wrapping and ceramic coating (inside & out!) reminds me of the old days when dealers tried to talk everyone into rustproofing, paint sealant, carpet sealant, etc. I would like to get my whole car wrapped and ceramic coated, but I think the price should be under $5k. And if I don't get it done, my Chalk 4S is already the color of paint primer, so maybe I won't even notice the chips.

Btw, I just talked to a girl the other day who had her Audi A4 (I think) wrapped in mint green at CCA Motorsport. She told me they charged her $3k.
Old 03-01-2020 | 01:29 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Congratulations on the new car! I'm glad you're happy with it. You'll soon discover that once you have a 911, you're pretty much hooked for life.

Just out of curiosity, did the dealer try to get you to get the car clear wrapped? I was first quoted $7,500 for the whole car, which I think is ridiculous. Then $6,600, but I still passed on that deal.The way car dealers push clear wrapping and ceramic coating (inside & out!) reminds me of the old days when dealers tried to talk everyone into rustproofing, paint sealant, carpet sealant, etc. I would like to get my whole car wrapped and ceramic coated, but I think the price should be under $5k. And if I don't get it done, my Chalk 4S is already the color of paint primer, so maybe I won't even notice the chips.

Btw, I just talked to a girl the other day who had her Audi A4 (I think) wrapped in mint green at CCA Motorsport. She told me they charged her $3k.
Thanks, congratulations on your 6th!

They actually didn't even mention it to me, I did say I was planning on wrapping it. But I gave them quite a fight making a deal on the car. I went down to Mercedes and looked at an AMG for my wife instead of a car for me, so I had the two dealerships fighting for my sale.

Oh! That is exactly the place I was going to go to ask about getting a wrap, and about the price I was expecting. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-01-2020 | 09:42 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

OmniBlade, did you take the new car out today? How did the Continental all season tires handle the fresh snow? And do you plan to keep those tires on all year?
Old 03-01-2020 | 10:47 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Aventurine 992
I try to use it as much as possible! I’m surprised how stable it is in the snow with good winter tire

That is bad to the bone.
Old 03-02-2020 | 12:26 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

Originally Posted by AKSteve
OmniBlade, did you take the new car out today? How did the Continental all season tires handle the fresh snow? And do you plan to keep those tires on all year?
Just got back home, they handle well, about as well as some nice winters on my Macan GTS. Only time I lost traction is when I was gassing it around corners for fun. I feel like the only issues I’ll have with it might be clearance on really bad days. I can probably daily it though.

I am going to put the summer tires back on as soon as everything melts. Pirelli makes what looks like a great tire for winters that fit the car but they were all sold out everywhere for the season. I am definitely going to try them when I wear these Continentals out. Pirelli Sottozero 2 is the ones I really wanted, since they are winter instead of all-season I figured they’d be better.
Old 03-02-2020 | 01:00 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OmniBlade
Pirelli makes what looks like a great tire for winters that fit the car but they were all sold out everywhere for the season. I am definitely going to try them when I wear these Continentals out. Pirelli Sottozero 2 is the ones I really wanted, since they are winter instead of all-season I figured they’d be better.
I went with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA5, which is a replacement for the PA4 tire that I've had on my last 2 Porsches. The PA4 was great and I hope the PA5 is an improvement. The PA4's weren't quite like an all-season tire, but they're still great on dry pavement in the early winter and going into spring. But they're also great in the middle of winter on snow and ice. They're really an all around great tire. For some oddball reason, they don't show up on TireRack's website when you look for a winter tire package for the 992 at the moment because TireRack has decided that a 295 width tire won't fit on the car''s OEM wheels that normally use 305 width tires. From all reports, the tires will fit these wheels just fine. But to order them, you have to go in and manually select the tires. They're pretty easy to find since they're currently the only N-rated Michelin PA 5's on their website.
OmniBlade (03-02-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 in the winter