Sponsored by:

H&R Lowering springs and spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 02:22 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas722
Apparently the TechArt springs are sold out, without an exact timeframe as to when they'll be available.

Based on your comments, I'm now going with the KW HAS. Let's see how quickly those can come.

Appreciate all the comments, very helpful!
I ended up cancelling my KW and got a set of TechART in under a week from WORLD. Not sure what their stock is now.

Now I’m just waiting for my wheels, and hopefully get the springs on shortly after.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
I ended up cancelling my KW and got a set of TechART in under a week from WORLD. Not sure what their stock is now.

Now I’m just waiting for my wheels, and hopefully get the springs on shortly after.
What the the basis of your decision to cancel KW HAS and go with TechART? I'm just curious before I waste my money on a set of springs. Do you have SPASM?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:17 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
What the the basis of your decision to cancel KW HAS and go with TechART? I'm just curious before I waste my money on a set of springs. Do you have SPASM?
Literally just the frustration of the wait time. KW was supposed to be just a couple weeks out...and when that came and went, it turned into "6-8 weeks". WORLD had a very specific ETA on the TechART (okay, to be completely transparent, the shipment was delayed like 2 days, but WORLD communicated that ASAP and asked if I still wanted to keep the order, which I did).

There was no other real reason...I have no ill feelings about KW, I ran their coilovers (Variant 1 I believe) on my old E90 and had no complaints. And to that end, I ran H&R lowering springs on my i8, so I don't really have loyalty to any brand. All I was looking for here is an adjustable set, since no - I don't have SPASM, but I wanted to lower without being stuck with a fixed height - the fixed ones seem a bit too low for what I want.

I would be shocked if there is any real-world difference in the sets, I suppose it boils down to: price, availability, and honestly...the color of the spring itself, because otherwise they seem identical.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:41 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Literally just the frustration of the wait time. KW was supposed to be just a couple weeks out...and when that came and went, it turned into "6-8 weeks". WORLD had a very specific ETA on the TechART (okay, to be completely transparent, the shipment was delayed like 2 days, but WORLD communicated that ASAP and asked if I still wanted to keep the order, which I did).

There was no other real reason...I have no ill feelings about KW, I ran their coilovers (Variant 1 I believe) on my old E90 and had no complaints. And to that end, I ran H&R lowering springs on my i8, so I don't really have loyalty to any brand. All I was looking for here is an adjustable set, since no - I don't have SPASM, but I wanted to lower without being stuck with a fixed height - the fixed ones seem a bit too low for what I want.

I would be shocked if there is any real-world difference in the sets, I suppose it boils down to: price, availability, and honestly...the color of the spring itself, because otherwise they seem identical.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize the KW HAS were on back order. Do you mind PM-ing the site you purcahsed the TechART HAS?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I’ll weigh in after a couple of months with H&R springs on my car. I looked at KW HAS first but was told by them that it was unlikely that they would be available until late 2020 at the earliest. Blistein EVO SE coil overs are a better solution with PASM enabled coil overs and height adjustability. They also offer a shock/spring combo designed as a unit, not as an aftermarket spring on the stock shock body and dampening. They are going to be in the $5K + range when they are available in the U.S. in mid-December if then. Probably more than most want to spend unless you are going to track the car regularly.

My car has SPASM, RAS, sport design package and no FAL. The H&R’s dropped the car almost exactly 1 inch when new and have settled in with some miles at a whisker over 1 inch, which is what they advertise and what Soul Performance told me when I bought them. A good alignment with -1 degree camber front and rear, toe and caster to stock spec and it drives straight and true with no perceptible difference in the RAS function. When new, they feel stiffer and more abrupt over bumps than stock. If you’ve never lowered a car on the stock shocks it’ll make you have some second thoughts. You’ll also be moving the car into a less compliant range of shock dampening regardless of the effect of PASM. So, after a couple of weeks it feels much more compliant around town and I am “more used to it”, but it definitely less jarring over abrupt road surfaces.

I am not a fan of spacers other than for the cosmetics, and they do look good on the car. I didn’t want the additional unsprung weight or any alteration in steering feel/performance, particularly with RAS which I love in stock form. So far the lack of FAL hasn’t been a major problem, though I’m careful and am coming from two GT3’s and a modified GT4. All in, I’m happy with the set up. I may take a closer look at the Bilstein PASM enabled solution when they are out and there is some feedback available on their performance. My goal with this car is primarily spirited street use and only occasional trips to the track. One person’s view for what it’s worth.
The following users liked this post:
Farmlyf (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Originally Posted by got2go
Well, I’ll weigh in after a couple of months with H&R springs on my car. I looked at KW HAS first but was told by them that it was unlikely that they would be available until late 2020 at the earliest. Blistein EVO SE coil overs are a better solution with PASM enabled coil overs and height adjustability. They also offer a shock/spring combo designed as a unit, not as an aftermarket spring on the stock shock body and dampening. They are going to be in the $5K + range when they are available in the U.S. in mid-December if then. Probably more than most want to spend unless you are going to track the car regularly.

My car has SPASM, RAS, sport design package and no FAL. The H&R’s dropped the car almost exactly 1 inch when new and have settled in with some miles at a whisker over 1 inch, which is what they advertise and what Soul Performance told me when I bought them. A good alignment with -1 degree camber front and rear, toe and caster to stock spec and it drives straight and true with no perceptible difference in the RAS function. When new, they feel stiffer and more abrupt over bumps than stock. If you’ve never lowered a car on the stock shocks it’ll make you have some second thoughts. You’ll also be moving the car into a less compliant range of shock dampening regardless of the effect of PASM. So, after a couple of weeks it feels much more compliant around town and I am “more used to it”, but it definitely less jarring over abrupt road surfaces.

I am not a fan of spacers other than for the cosmetics, and they do look good on the car. I didn’t want the additional unsprung weight or any alteration in steering feel/performance, particularly with RAS which I love in stock form. So far the lack of FAL hasn’t been a major problem, though I’m careful and am coming from two GT3’s and a modified GT4. All in, I’m happy with the set up. I may take a closer look at the Bilstein PASM enabled solution when they are out and there is some feedback available on their performance. My goal with this car is primarily spirited street use and only occasional trips to the track. One person’s view for what it’s worth.
Can you post a picture of your car's side profile? I want to see another car with H&R drop on SPASM.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:37 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Here you go:

The following 3 users liked this post by got2go:
BND (09-21-2020), Tanqueray86 (09-21-2020), tourenwagen (12-01-2021)
Old 09-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Thanks for the picture!
It's strange why yours doesn't look "tucked" as andreas722's SPASM on H&R springs.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:31 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Maybe the polished lip on the Spyder wheels creates a different visual..
Old 09-23-2020, 02:10 AM
andreas722
Advanced

Received 230 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
Thanks for the picture!
It's strange why yours doesn't look "tucked" as andreas722's SPASM on H&R springs.

Mine is a 4S, and was later told that caused the car to sit even lower due to the added weight.... I ended up going back to the stock suspension because this wasn't good for daily driving. Ride quality also wasn't great.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Mine is a 4S, and was later told that caused the car to sit even lower due to the added weight.... I ended up going back to the stock suspension because this wasn't good for daily driving. Ride quality also wasn't great.
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 651 Posts

I have dropped plenty of Audi's...heavy cars no doubt.

H&R are hit or miss and I didn't like the way they rode with stock dampers. Tendency to oscillate and droop over time.

KW HAS is definitely the superior product as they actually test each application on designated car model. Hence always later to the game but a better player.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

I agree with most that I prefer KW over H&R. I have had KW Variant 1 coilovers on my Q3 (my daily) for the past 4 years without a single problem and Eibach lowering springs for my E92 M3 was approved by BMW for use with OEM shocks. Now, H&R, I don’t have much experience with them, other than back 16 years ago when I had my 2004 Mini Cooper S lowered on H&Rs.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:56 AM
andreas722
Advanced

Received 230 Likes on 36 Posts

I had H&R on my base 991.1 and they were perfect height. That car did not have the PASM suspension. Maybe thats why it sat better than my 992 4S, which has PASM and I know lowers the car as well.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:58 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Those of you with H&R springs, are you ever “bottoming out” on these springs? For instance, when you are going over a small width but very high speed bumps in parking lots, are your cars ever hitting the limit of the shocks?

Also, are your tires rubbing against the fender liners?

Quick Reply: H&R Lowering springs and spacers