Sponsored by:

Carrera Exclusive Design Wheels in Satin Aurum

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Carrera Exclusive Design Wheels in Satin Aurum

My wife and I are still finalizing our C2S 7MT build. She fell in love with these wheels. Does anybody have them, or hold photos of them on a real car? I think they’re interesting and unique over the dime-a-dozen black or silver wheels. But man, they make me nervous.

Any input would be appreciated. Happy New Year!

The following 2 users liked this post by JCWLS3:
dhirm5 (01-02-2020), SDK Autos (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:17 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
My wife and I are still finalizing our C2S 7MT build. She fell in love with these wheels. Does anybody have them, or hold photos of them on a real car? I think they’re interesting and unique over the dime-a-dozen black or silver wheels. But man, they make me nervous.

As a former Subaru guy, the color combination works. 😉 BMW is now offering blue/gold as well. That being said, you’re definitely in the area of the option sheet less traveled. Spyder wheels are clearly the most popular of the options for the 2020 992s. The classic wheels, let alone in this color, are not the common bear.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:19 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

I mean, gold wheels are definitely a statement. I think it clashes badly with the Gentian & Night Blue in particular but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:44 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Yep, it’s a love-it-or-hate-it thing. Detansinn, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to a certain crush on the STi over the years.

And GratedWasabi, I appreciate your feedback. Either you love the Los Angeles Rams’ colors, or you don’t. Being a Cowboys fan from the Dallas area, I get what you’re saying.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 05:04 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

And GratedWasabi, I appreciate your feedback. Either you love the Los Angeles Rams’ colors, or you don’t. Being a Cowboys fan from the Dallas area, I get what you’re saying.
In particular it's these two shades of blue that don't seem to work with gold for me. It does work with lighter/brighter blues (Miami Blue & gold looks really nice to me as does that Subaru.)

Is that Night Blue or Gentian? Kind of hard to tell from configurator image.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:14 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

It’s Gentian. I happen to love Miami Blue, but the wife says it’s a little too loud. “Are you gonna be Crockett, or Tubbs?” is her favorite comment on that color. I’ve tried to tell her Crockett drove a black Daytona and later, a white Testarossa. But she’s not listening.

This is her build for what will be my car. Her MB / Truffle 9Y0 Turbo with standard Turbo wheels was all her. My current preference is the all-too-common Chalk with RS Spyder wheels. Her build would be unique, just like her Cayenne. With a 911, I can appreciate that. Lots of Chalk / GT Silver / White / Black 992s at our dealer.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:03 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=JCWLS3;16325311]“Are you gonna be Crockett, or Tubbs?[”/QUOTE]

So...which are you?
rouxeny (01-01-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 02:28 AM
c0mp
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Gentian Blue/Satin Aurum/Carrera Exclusive cab build from dealer inventory a couple of weeks ago. I had my heart set on Aventurin Green/SA, but I really love this combination in person. FWIW, the Satin Aurum is fairly subtle and nowhere near as garish as the STI pics (the smaller surface area from the Carrera Exclusive wheels probably helps), these pics are pretty true to how it looks in real life.

The following 6 users liked this post by c0mp:
computertom (01-05-2020), detansinn (01-02-2020), dhirm5 (01-02-2020), JCWLS3 (01-02-2020), JHesketh (01-02-2020), rouxeny (01-02-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:51 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by c0mp
FWIW, the Satin Aurum is fairly subtle and nowhere near as garish as the STI pics (the smaller surface area from the Carrera Exclusive wheels probably helps), these pics are pretty true to how it looks in real life.
Personally, I think that's the problem with this combo on the 992. If you're going to make an STi type of statement (which I happen to like), then make the statement. But the subtlety of the color, especially on the Carrera Exclusives, is what makes in wrong imo.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

I love the subtle gold. I don't agree that it wants to be loud/brash like the venerable subie.

The finish looks amazing on the carerra exclusives and imo it works great on the blue, as it would with nearly anything else (except yellow 🤢 )..

EDIT: had to try it -

Old 01-02-2020, 02:47 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c0mp
I bought a Gentian Blue/Satin Aurum/Carrera Exclusive cab build from dealer inventory a couple of weeks ago. I had my heart set on Aventurin Green/SA, but I really love this combination in person. FWIW, the Satin Aurum is fairly subtle and nowhere near as garish as the STI pics (the smaller surface area from the Carrera Exclusive wheels probably helps), these pics are pretty true to how it looks in real life.
c0mp, your cabriolet looks spectacular. I love it. Just showed your pics to my wife, and she agrees it's hot. Congratulations, and THANK you for posting those pics. What color is your interior? Pics?

I'm gonna mention we're considering Graphite Blue / Chalk interior, with custom Chalk seat inserts. Have no feel as to how well that would go with Gentian Blue. Were I to go Chalk as the exterior color, we're still leaning toward the same interior combo. We want something a little different.

Originally Posted by LastMezger
So...which are you?
I was always Crockett in my mind, man. Emphasis on the latter. Never quite made it to the police academy.

Originally Posted by hinckley
Personally, I think that's the problem with this combo on the 992. If you're going to make an STi type of statement (which I happen to like), then make the statement. But the subtlety of the color, especially on the Carrera Exclusives, is what makes in wrong imo.
I understand what you're saying. That's the fun thing about custom-ordering a Porsche. You're creating your own rolling piece of high-performance artwork, tailored just for you. I look at it like this: Whether you're a Picasso or Warhol man (or neither), the love is in the appreciation of the work itself.

And dhirm5, thanks for the comments and, um, interesting build. I agree with you on the yellow.

My real dilemma now is that I've lusted after a Chalk 911 since I first saw one several years ago. And yeah, while they're common at our dealership, the fact is, we live sort of out in the country, nearly 40 miles away. There are ZERO 911s of any kind down here. So I'd still be unique. Just not so much when I take in in for service. Big deal.

Vexing and vastly important decisions such as these are the stupidest kind of first-world problem. We are blessed people.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:53 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 152 Posts

Those gold wheels are 10/10. I also like the door sticker.

Fantastic choice.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
c0mp
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

c0mp, your cabriolet looks spectacular. I love it. Just showed your pics to my wife, and she agrees it's hot. Congratulations, and THANK you for posting those pics. What color is your interior? Pics?

I'm gonna mention we're considering Graphite Blue / Chalk interior, with custom Chalk seat inserts. Have no feel as to how well that would go with Gentian Blue. Were I to go Chalk as the exterior color, we're still leaning toward the same interior combo. We want something a little different.
It's Truffle Brown with Chalk Stitching Club leather. I really like the contrast with the brown, blue, and chalk stitching. The only thing that's a little off is that the passenger side cup holder is a slightly different shade of brown, wonder if it's a problem with other colors. I bet Graphite Blue/Chalk would look great too, tho.

dhirm5 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 12:19 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 197 Posts

They had an aventurine green with those same wheels at champion maybe two months ago, it was the best car on the lot, I'd order it.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Thanks folks. Great stuff. We really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Carrera Exclusive Design Wheels in Satin Aurum