Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Sport vs Base... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

The Base will knock your socks off. These cars are really fast now, in any variation.

Personally, I'm going to wait for the 992 T which will be the Base + Manual.

More than enough speed to land you in jail.

Last edited by Scorponok; 12-18-2019 at 01:36 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Scorponok:
911Jetta (12-26-2019), 992Sam (12-18-2019), Caliporsche (12-18-2019), Pcar81 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Personally unless you want/need some of the options only available on the S then this is purely a budget question. If you can afford the S then that's the one to get. Why do I say that? Well, remember these are just opinions but I bought a base 997 back in the day. Drove it for 5 months and was happy enough with it, but then I drove an S over a weekend while my base was getting some warranty work done. I traded the base and drove the S daily for 5 years. And tracked it as you can see in my avatar.

In the end the S is just a badge.
The following 3 users liked this post by aggie57:
Caliporsche (12-18-2019), Extract0r (12-21-2019), jkautz (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:41 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Personally unless you want/need some of the options only available on the S then this is purely a budget question. If you can afford the S then that's the one to get. Why do I say that? Well, remember these are just opinions but I bought a base 997 back in the day. Drove it for 5 months and was happy enough with it, but then I drove an S. I traded and drove that car daily for 5 years. And tracked it as you can see in my avatar.

Question is.. when will you be trading it in for the GTS?

I can afford a Turbo, maybe even a GT3 if I really wanted to cap my budget.. but IMO, base is plenty, gives you the same experience, less 64HP. Not really sure it's a budget only question..

I do agree though, if you want/need the options available on the S, then it's a no brainer, you'll need to spring for the $14k+ premium S badge + the options
The following users liked this post:
Caliporsche (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:43 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
well then I must be a total idiot... I paid for the badge then told Porsche to de-badge my car and just put 911 back there! haha
The following 10 users liked this post by 992Sam:
911Jetta (12-26-2019), aggie57 (12-18-2019), Caliporsche (12-18-2019), Changster (12-21-2019), dhirm5 (12-18-2019), gator99sky (12-28-2019), JHesketh (12-18-2019), LastMezger (12-19-2019), rangerfan94 (12-18-2019), SamD (12-20-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:46 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
well then I must be a total idiot... I paid for the badge then told Porsche to de-badge my car and just put 911 back there! haha
Old 12-18-2019, 02:45 PM
MarineDrive
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
I could only imagine what your SA would have said if all the other variants were out. lol What if Porsche started out with the Carrera GTS.. Which is tops on the Carrera lineup.. We’d be sitting here dismissing the S all day.

As it stands, the S is king of the hill. Until it isn’t.
Totally agree. He would have surely upsold me the topmost model and most likely I would have dished out for a higher variant if it was available.

Also when I tell some of my friends who are not so auto-obsessed that I’m getting a 911, they’re like “sweet” and “awesome”. Then the next line is “I hope you’re getting the Turbo” and when I say it’s the S, I can see their excitement drop a bit. When I try to explain that it’s not available yet, I’ve lost them halfway through the convo. Such is life.
The following 4 users liked this post by MarineDrive:
Caliporsche (12-18-2019), dhirm5 (12-18-2019), jkautz (12-18-2019), Michael Smith (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Caliporsche
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks fellas! I'm really just trying to find something in my budget.. the difference between the Sport and the Base (price was) is about $400 give or take. Got quoted for a base from the dealer for $114k. Next closest Carrera S is around $135k.. obviously now it makes more sense the difference between the two models... I just need to pull the trigg3r on something...
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (12-18-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 12:23 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 493 Likes on 151 Posts

These are my thoughts from the GB forum on the base car after 125,000 miles in a Tesla model S85 (Also an excellent car but a bit different).

Lots of reviews and comments out there. My opinions are based on what it is like to own in the real world, not driving someone elses red or yellow car around a race track in Spain after a huge sponsored bun fight.

I am not an independently wealthy spoilt brat on Youtube, or a motoring journalist desperate to sell copy.

I have to pay for the cars myself, I pay for the tyres, I have to pay for insurance myself, if I scratch it, it hurts etc.

It cost £85k, insurance is £600 pa comp, options were Adventurine green, Sportex seats with chalk stitching and a retro door sticker!

I bought it because it reminded me of an all time favorite, the wide body 930 turbo. And I fancied a change.

It is a bit like the 930, just a bit quicker, more reliable and probably cheaper to own for a few years. I still would like another 930 as well though!

My first impression are

The 992 is very beautiful. I know that is subjective however I own 3 swb e-types and I think they are beautiful too and so do a few others. So I might be a good judge!

IT is very quick. True it does make a bit more fuss about getting a shift-on than the Tesla did, however it is quicker that the MS and more exciting to boot. 0-60 is 3.9 on the app and the mid range is exceptional. I am not sure why you would want more power. For example I drove to London and back on Tuesday and never got the chance to use half throttle once! let alone full throttle, a round trip of 250 miles. 379 bhp is loads. If I was on the track I might want more I suppose, only if my mates had 450.

Not sure why I would want Sport Chrono. When I push the loud pedal it changes down 5 gears in a split second and accelerates like an atomic chicken. Who does launches anyway? I will tell you who. People who are driving someone elses car- thats who. Not me

It is also cool
I get maximum respect from SUV drivers, chavs and sports car drivers. They all want to have a look. They just know the 911 is the daddy. I think some of that is because the car is quite aggressive in its styling with huge wheels, 19 inch at the front and 20 inch at the back. Why you would want 20/21s is beyond me for road use. As I mentioned, it is also a beautiful car.

It is quite economical.
I can get 420 miles from a tank. Interestingly enough I also have a 2019 318d Touring. that does 45 mpg driven spiritedly. The difference between the 2 is that £70 gets the 992 about 100 miles less in range than the BMW. Not exactly a huge difference.

The interior is beautiful.
It really is. Not just the quality if the materials and switches but also the whole G body retro style and satellite view sat nav thing. It is lovely. I have delicious chalk stitching with black. I love it. Everything else is standard pov spec. Some pov spec if you ask me!

The colour is gorgeous. I actually love all the standard colours, like a beautiful girl, she would look good in anything with no make up. The slate grey/green of Adventurine is a sophisticated twist on and old colour. I chose it because it reminds me of some good 1960s shades on Astons and American Muscle cars of the era. I looks good dirty as well.
The ride is comfortable. Yes, bumps and potholes do not destroy your teeth. It is a firm car however. The handling, grip and steering and basically 10/10. Super super fun.

Things that disappoint me.
It does not stream music. This is a VERY first world issue. Almost pathetic of me to mention it. However I am missing Rammstein at the moment.

How does it compare to a Model S?

Quicker, cooler, smaller!
Evs are so yesterday now. Dont believe me? Try getting to Nice on the AutoRoute now with all the Model 3 owners taking up the charging points. I had 5 years of bliss in the MS. Those days have gone. I guess they might come back in a few years.

So my advice to anyone thinking of a 992 is-buy the cheapest one possible. It is absolutely loaded and you will nor be disappointed.
Buy it before it gets legislated off the road.

If you dont, you will never be able to tell your grandchildren how you once owned one of the greatest cars ever made.

It is also exceptionally sexy (for a car).

Last edited by politeperson; 12-20-2019 at 05:39 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by politeperson:
911Jetta (12-26-2019), 992Sam (12-20-2019), BMWMB (12-27-2019), Changster (12-21-2019), ianmSC (12-20-2019), JHesketh (12-25-2019), Jkb545 (12-20-2019), kimbersm (12-24-2021), smartbot (12-20-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the write up. More pictures please!
Old 12-20-2019, 01:55 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
This are my thoughts from the GB forum on the base car after 125,000 miles in a Tesla model S85 (Also an excellent car but a bit different).

Lots of reviews and comments out there. My opinions are based on what it is like to own in the real world, not driving someone elses red or yellow car around a race track in Spain after a huge sponsored bun fight.

I am not an independently wealthy spoilt brat on Youtube, or a motoring journalist desperate to sell copy.

I have to pay for the cars myself, I pay for the tyres, I have to pay for insurance myself, if I scratch it, it hurts etc.

It cost £85k, insurance is £600 pa comp, options were Adventurine green, Sportex seats with chalk stitching and a retro door sticker!

I bought it because it reminded me of an all time favorite, the wide body 930 turbo. And I fancied a change.

It is a bit like the 930, just a bit quicker, more reliable and probably cheaper to own for a few years. I still would like another 930 as well though!

My first impression are

The 992 is very beautiful. I know that is subjective however I own 3 swb e-types and I think they are beautiful too and so do a few others. So I might be a good judge!

IT is very quick. True it does make a bit more fuss about getting a shift-on than the Tesla did, however it is quicker that the MS and more exciting to boot. 0-60 is 3.9 on the app and the mid range is exceptional. I am not sure why you would want more power. For example I drove to London and back on Tuesday and never got the chance to use half throttle once! let alone full throttle, a round trip of 250 miles. 379 bhp is loads. If I was on the track I might want more I suppose, only if my mates had 450.

Not sure why I would want Sport Chrono. When I push the loud pedal it changes down 5 gears in a split second and accelerates like an atomic chicken. Who does launches anyway. I will tell you who. People who are driving someone elses car- thats who. Not me

It is also cool
I get maximum respect from SUV drivers, chavs and sports car drivers. They all want to have a look. They just know the 911 is the daddy. I think some of that is because the car is quite aggressive in its styling with huge wheels, 19 inch at the front and 20 inch at the back. Why you would want 20/21s is beyond me for road use. As I mentioned, it is also a beautiful car.

It is quite economical.
I can get 420 miles from a tank. Interestingly enough I also have a 2019 318d Touring. that does 45 mpg driven spiritedly. The difference between the 2 is that £70 gets the 992 about 100 miles less in range than the BMW. Not exactly a huge difference.

It really is. Not just the quality if the materials and switches but also the whole G body retro style and satellite view sat nav thing. It is lovely. I have delicious chalk stitching with black. I love it. Everything else is standard pov spec. Some pov spec if you ask me!

The colour is gorgeous. I actually love all the standard colours, like a beautiful girl, she would look good in anything with no make up. The slate grey/green of Adventurine is a sophisticated twist on and old colour. I chose it because it reminds me of some good 1960s shades on Astons and American Muscle cars of the era. I looks good dirty as well.
The ride is comfortable. Yes, bumps and potholes do not destroy your teeth. It is a firm car however. The handling, grip and steering and basically 10/10. Super super fun.

It does not stream music. This is a VERY first world issue. Almost pathetic of me to mention it. However I am missing Rammstein at the moment.

Evs are so yesterday now. Dont believe me? Try getting to Nice on the AutoRoute now with all the Model 3 owners taking up the charging points. I had 5 years of bliss in the MS. Those days have gone. I guess they might come back in a few years.

So my advice to anyone thinking of a 992 is-buy the cheapest one possible. It is absolutely loaded and you will nor be disappointed.

If you dont, you will never be able to tell your grandchildren how you once owned one of the greatest cars ever made.

Fantastic read!
Old 12-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Extract0r
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be waiting 6 years for a 992 T.

Originally Posted by k997
The Base will knock your socks off. These cars are really fast now, in any variation.

Personally, I'm going to wait for the 992 T which will be the Base + Manual.

More than enough speed to land you in jail.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
These are my thoughts from the GB forum on the base car after 125,000 miles in a Tesla model S85 (Also an excellent car but a bit different).

My first impression are

Not sure why I would want Sport Chrono. When I push the loud pedal it changes down 5 gears in a split second and accelerates like an atomic chicken. Who does launches anyway? I will tell you who. People who are driving someone elses car- thats who. Not me

It is also cool

It is quite economical.

Loved the read. I had similar thoughts when I ordered my 991.2. I had planned to move to a 992 C2, but a MT is not available any time soon so bought mine off lease. My sales advisor told me that he thought I was ready to “move up” to an “S” probably because the MT is only available on that car. Honestly, he knows that I have had many sports cars, I’ve told him that the C2 is more than enough for me, but yet gave me that company line. With that line, he was trying to embarrass me to buy up, but in reality, I was really embarrassed for him. All he needed to say was that the MT was only available on the “S” and leave me to a decision.

Anyway, the match of C2 HP to the MT seems to be perfect for me. My only wish when I had mine built is that I had a bright color, but the GT silver does reflect the cars contours beautifully. I wish that you would post more pics.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:32 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

I couldn't agree more about the base w/MT is the ideal set-up. Alas, Porsche has decided we cannot have that. In the end, the MT is a must, so, somewhat reluctantly, I'm ordering an S . . .
Old 12-22-2019, 12:48 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Extra HP is worth it as an old lady in an dated Tesla 90D kicked my *** while driving base with MT!
Old 12-22-2019, 01:34 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

End of the day I think its better to go with a little more than you need in the beginning than having to chase it after being cautious...obviously this has to work with your budget, whatever it is...there are very few had choices.

Quick Reply: 992 Sport vs Base... Worth it?