Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Door Panel Removal for Puddle Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019 | 11:43 AM
LKCity992C2S
Track Day

Default 992 Door Panel Removal for Puddle Lights

Just picked up my 992 C2S last week and received my parts from Suncoast including some of the OEM puddle lights for the door panel lights. Was hoping to do the install myself but I haven’t had much luck with finding a video/tutorial showing how to remove the 992 door panels.

Has anyone done this yet to install the puddle lights? Really would rather avoid taking it to the dealership. TIA!
Old 12-10-2019 | 12:31 PM
Ms95207x
Instructor

The light is snapped in tightly with 4 tabs. If I recall correctly, I removed the exist light by unsnapping the two tabs in the back by gently prying away from the door then rocked it forward to release the front tabs. After the light is removed, you unplug the wire harness then plug the harness into the new light. Snap the new light into place by reversing the removal process. It should only minutes to swap the lights.
Old 12-10-2019 | 12:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

/\ how do they look, Ms95207x? I'm looking for a way to blow about $160. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (01-03-2020)
Old 12-10-2019 | 12:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

From the Suncoast web site:

"Plug and play installation for all models, but door panel must be removed on 2020+ Carrera models (992 generation)."
Old 12-10-2019 | 12:55 PM
LKCity992C2S
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ms95207x
The light is snapped in tightly with 4 tabs. If I recall correctly, I removed the exist light by unsnapping the two tabs in the back by gently prying away from the door then rocked it forward to release the front tabs. After the light is removed, you unplug the wire harness then plug the harness into the new light. Snap the new light into place by reversing the removal process. It should only minutes to swap the lights.
Looking at the new lights I do see how the back tabs are more pronounced. I’ll give it a try! Just weird how Suncoast says that the entire door panel needs to be removed for the 992.

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-10-2019 | 01:59 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

So to add this? You don't need to remove the door?
Old 12-10-2019 | 02:17 PM
Ms95207x
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkautz
So to add this? You don't need to remove the door?
I did not have to remove the door panel to install. I’ll upload a picture tonight.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ms95207x:
jkautz (12-10-2019), Schwarz992C4S (02-21-2020)
Old 12-10-2019 | 02:56 PM
aleguizz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ms95207x
I did not have to remove the door panel to install. I’ll upload a picture tonight.

It looks so on my 992
Old 12-10-2019 | 02:57 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

What do the standard puddle lights look like in comparison? Anyone have a shot of it
Old 12-10-2019 | 03:28 PM
LKCity992C2S
Track Day

Default Success!

ms95207x was correct about the removal process. The installation of the new lights took a little more finesse and angling to get it back in since the puddle lights are a little bulkier than the stock door panel lights. I used plastic trim tools that I have to get the original lights out and they helped getting the new lights in as well. Definitely do not need to get the door panels off to do this. Just make sure to tape off the surrounding areas of the door to save yourself the grief of potentially marring the material.

Just a warning that you may pop off the lenses on the original door panel lights when removing them. It’s fine if you do since they snap back on. It was actually easier to remove the existing door panel lights with the lenses off as it allowed for more access to the gap between door and light for a spudger tool. The new puddle light lenses are the same as well if you happen to knock one off. They’re held in with some type of glue to begin with and are meant to be serviceable.

All in all totally worth the money but honestly think these should be standard on a Porsche. Total time was around 30-40 minutes because I took my sweet time making sure to not break anything. Just OCD like that.

Thanks everyone for the insight and knowledge!

Old 12-10-2019 | 04:27 PM
Michael Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LKCity992C2S
ms95207x was correct about the removal process. The installation of the new lights took a little more finesse and angling to get it back in since the puddle lights are a little bulkier than the stock door panel lights. I used plastic trim tools that I have to get the original lights out and they helped getting the new lights in as well. Definitely do not need to get the door panels off to do this. Just make sure to tape off the surrounding areas of the door to save yourself the grief of potentially marring the material.

Just a warning that you may pop off the lenses on the original door panel lights when removing them. It’s fine if you do since they snap back on. It was actually easier to remove the existing door panel lights with the lenses off as it allowed for more access to the gap between door and light for a spudger tool. The new puddle light lenses are the same as well if you happen to knock one off. They’re held in with some type of glue to begin with and are meant to be serviceable.

All in all totally worth the money but honestly think these should be standard on a Porsche. Total time was around 30-40 minutes because I took my sweet time making sure to not break anything. Just OCD like that.

Do you need illuminated door sills or a special door lighting package to add this?
Old 12-10-2019 | 05:25 PM
LKCity992C2S
Track Day

Originally Posted by Michael Smith
Do you need illuminated door sills or a special door lighting package to add this?
My C2S was spec’d with illuminated door sills but DID NOT come with the PORSCHE puddle lights. Just standard door panel lights.

Last edited by LKCity992C2S; 12-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2019 | 06:11 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

My C2S was spec’d with illuminated door dolls but DID NOT come with the PORSCHE puddle lights. Just standard door panel lights.
I think the power folding mirrors come with a courtesy lighting, but unsure what it looks like in comparison. Something consider seeing it looks to be an easy install with a trim removal tool.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...NSOLETOOL.html
Old 12-11-2019 | 07:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

honestly, i can't see spending any money or time to spec or add this feature. to each his/her own.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhirm5:
997usa (09-24-2020), NigelPlays (02-21-2020), PBM (02-24-2020)
Old 01-03-2020 | 08:23 PM
Caliporsche
Instructor

reqlly helpful! Just installed mine. Took me about 40 mins. Was easier to remove as mentioned. I didn’t have a plastic tool or anything that wouldn’t damage the leather. So, I put some tape on a flat head and was able to use it perfectly. Thanks again for your tips!

Quick Reply: 992 Door Panel Removal for Puddle Lights