Sponsored by:

Technical Question PCM / bluetooth / WiFi

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Sure
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Technical Question PCM / bluetooth / WiFi

In my current 991.1 I'm using a MIFI/Hotspot for internet in the car. Works well for AHA audio/traffic and also connects the dashcam. The 992 PCM is a huge step up - but I'm struggling to find detail on:
1. Bluetooth version on the PCM - is this 5.0 or 4.2? Is it worth to upgrade to an iPhone that has bluetooth 5.0?
2. Car WIFI hotspot - can this be active when the car is parked/off? To connect to the dashcam if the car is parked (anywhere - not just outside my house)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:20 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sure
In my current 991.1 I'm using a MIFI/Hotspot for internet in the car. Works well for AHA audio/traffic and also connects the dashcam. The 992 PCM is a huge step up - but I'm struggling to find detail on:
1. Bluetooth version on the PCM - is this 5.0 or 4.2? Is it worth to upgrade to an iPhone that has bluetooth 5.0?
2. Car WIFI hotspot - can this be active when the car is parked/off? To connect to the dashcam if the car is parked (anywhere - not just outside my house)

Bluetooth 5 or 4.... Yeah, no. This is Porsche. It’s Bluetooth 2.1 (see photo of specs on back of my manual).

Car hotspot networks at 2.4Mhz (no 5Mhz) and it’s only an LTE modem so data from the interweb is sloooooowwwww.

PCM also shuts down not long after ignition off unless you prompt it to stay on so no good for surveillance kit.

You can use your phone hotspot for data which will give you 4G. But as far as I know 5G mobile cell infrastructure is not up and running well enough to be useful so I wouldn’t rush to get a 5G phone yet. Of course, when you take your phone from the car it will disconnect from it and your cameras. Again, no good for surveillance kit.

What you might think about doing is buying a portable 4G modem and leaving it plugged into the car.

You could connect the PCM to this modem for data and your cameras. This portable modem would not switch off with the car so you would still be able to dial into your cameras whilst parked. It would also deliver faster in car data speed than the PCM.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:14 AM
ffm99x
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not use the SIM card slot for data?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:59 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by ffm99x
Why not use the SIM card slot for data?
Because OP wants data connectivity even after car ignition off and PCM shut down.
The following users liked this post:
ffm99x (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Sure
Intermediate

Oh man - I should have known better - good that it is not 1.0 Thanks for sharing.

Looks like I will stick with my mobile router. I use a Netgear Nighthawk Mobile M1 this one: https://www.netgear.com/home/product...rs/MR1100.aspx It has a decent internal antenna and support for an external antenna as well. Also a fairly large battery that lasts for 24H+. On my 911.1 it fit exactly inside the armrest - but I put it behind the back seats with an external antenna for even better reception.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:53 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sure
Oh man - I should have known better - good that it is not 1.0 Thanks for sharing.

Looks like I will stick with my mobile router. I use a Netgear Nighthawk Mobile M1 this one: https://www.netgear.com/home/product...rs/MR1100.aspx It has a decent internal antenna and support for an external antenna as well. Also a fairly large battery that lasts for 24H+. On my 911.1 it fit exactly inside the armrest - but I put it behind the back seats with an external antenna for even better reception.
So the main benefit of this vs the cars own connection to LTE is that you can log in to the dashcam? If you don't use your car for a few days what happens to the modem, does it start to drain the car battery?

Old 12-11-2019, 03:56 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by moomin
So the main benefit of this vs the cars own connection to LTE is that you can log in to the dashcam? If you don't use your car for a few days what happens to the modem, does it start to drain the car battery?
The Netgear M1 is also LTE so it is not clear that it will have a download speed benefit over the PCM.

The 4G Standard is defined as faster than 100Mbps and up to a maximum 1Gbps. 4G LTE is often used by the marketeers to mean ‘better than 3G’ (ie more than 21 Mbps) not necessarily proper 4G (ie minimum 100Mbps).

Mobile bandwidth terminology is deliberately confusing.

The M1 uses a rechargeable battery. Once it runs down it will disconnect. When the car is restarted and the 12V sockets get power again, the M1 will start to recharge and power up again. No risk to the car battery because the 12V sockets power off when the car ignition is switched off.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Sure
Intermediate

Yes - does not drain the car battery. I believe the 12V socket remains on for another 30m after switching off the car (depending on the power output of the car battery - it switches off sooner if it drops below a certain threshold i.e. 12.1V). The M1 is a decent router that can handle multiple clients and more than enough for streaming music / maps etc. The real speed depends on the carrier/network that you select and your surroundings.

For daily driving the M1 is ideal - because you will never fully discharge the router. If it does completely discharge (not using the car for 2+ days) then it powers on automatically when you switch on the car. It takes around 1 minute for the router to boot - so that is a little annoying.

Connecting to the dashcam while parked is really nice though. And if the dashcam supports it - then it can automatically upload incidents to the cloud when they happen.

Quick Reply: Technical Question PCM / bluetooth / WiFi