Sponsored by:

Full PPF Wrap vs. Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Ive had a friend of mine buy a car with a full wrap that started bubbling along some of the edges. The lower doors and part of the trunk. That’s the only “first hand” experience I’ve seen with it. Though it’s not much...

I’ve read numerous stories about having to replace sections due to incorrect installation, or a faulty sheet of PPF.

Also read about full PPF removal pulling up paint, and tons of issues with discoloring after several years. Even though I bet it’s a case of “you get what you pay for” lol

I’ve come to realize most that do PPF are only keeping the car a few years. This car will be with me for a couple decades. I don’t want to remove the PPF when it’s time to replace, and I don’t want to “live” with imperfections if something happens like discoloration and bubbling (if that happens)

I’m all for ceramic. And taking care of it the ole fashion way. Not to mention the car will only be a weekend warrior at the most.

I would suggest that most that do PPF are keeping the car longer and want appearance to last and not change. Without PPF appearance will gradually degrade. PPF can be replaced if necessary and is far easier and cheaper than a repaint. What so appealing about Ceramic other than hydrophobic qualities?
Old 12-05-2019, 02:02 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Make sure you do paint correction first, PPF second and ceramic coating last.
that is EXACTLY how he described the process... this guys office is in the shadow of Atherton, Woodside, etc.. more wealth there than anywhere else in the world.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:02 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I would suggest that most that do PPF are keeping the car longer and want appearance to last and not change. Without PPF appearance will gradually degrade. PPF can be replaced if necessary and is far easier and cheaper than a repaint. What so appealing about Ceramic other than hydrophobic qualities?
I’m sure there are reputable installers out there and I’ve heard just as many good stories as bad. So it’s all a personal preference.

Other than the hydrophobic properties... I love the ceramic coatings to help eliminate having to wax the car so often.

I can’t wait until mine arrives!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Don’t need to have experience with owning a PPF vehicle to know what risks come with it. With the research I’ve done on it, there’s just too many variables to “hope” something doesn’t happen to you, for me to take a chance on it.

Just my opinion, no offense to the PPF guys out there. Do what makes you feel comfortable
I struggled with this too... my OCD side wanted a pristine finish... one I can wax for fun, and unmolested by "plastic"... however after my most recent brand new Ducati V4 Speciale took a rock chip both to the front faring and the fork faring... I swore that would never happen again... mind you, I was following well behind the front motorcycle... my Current BMW 540 took a chip to the hood with in two weeks... So I decided to just cover the front exposure surfaces... I also insisted the ceramic be done as that's a different sort of protection (UV, Hydro)...

for $3200 including rocker arms.... and paint correction... much less than had I wrapped the entire car, $7200
Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I struggled with this too... my OCD side wanted a pristine finish... one I can wax for fun, and unmolested by "plastic"... however after my most recent brand new Ducati V4 Speciale took a rock chip both to the front faring and the fork faring... I swore that would never happen again... mind you, I was following well behind the front motorcycle... my Current BMW 540 took a chip to the hood with in two weeks... So I decided to just cover the front exposure surfaces... I also insisted the ceramic be done as that's a different sort of protection (UV, Hydro)...

for $3200 including rocker arms.... and paint correction... much less than had I wrapped the entire car, $7200
I can't deny the protection aspect is a plus+. I was on the fence for awhile about doing the front PPF, until I was reading about issues with differences in the texture & look of the front over time compared to the rest of the car. Again, this might be a "you get what you pay for" type of deal. We will see when mine arrives, I may change my mind. I'm just wary of it..
Old 12-05-2019, 02:39 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

I can't deny the protection aspect is a plus+. I was on the fence for awhile about doing the front PPF, until I was reading about issues with differences in the texture & look of the front over time compared to the rest of the car. Again, this might be a "you get what you pay for" type of deal. We will see when mine arrives, I may change my mind. I'm just wary of it..
Yep, I too was super concerned about two tone colors occurring as a result of the UV rays over time... turns out PPF it not UV protectant, so the color will not change... the clear coat can fade possibly (on the unprotected side) but the color doesn't change. This is why he told me they do the Ceramic over the PFF... that and the fact that the PPF doesn't stick well to the ceramic if applied before.

That said... some people just accept rock chips as patina, love marks, etc... for me, were it not for the crazy cost, I'd do the whole car, but that's just crazy money cost!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:51 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Yep, I too was super concerned about two tone colors occurring as a result of the UV rays over time... turns out PPF it not UV protectant, so the color will not change... the clear coat can fade possibly (on the unprotected side) but the color doesn't change. This is why he told me they do the Ceramic over the PFF... that and the fact that the PPF doesn't stick well to the ceramic if applied before.

That said... some people just accept rock chips as patina, love marks, etc... for me, were it not for the crazy cost, I'd do the whole car, but that's just crazy money cost!
Good to know. Not counting it out just yet..

Full wraps are crazy expensive. I agree with that.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Ive had a friend of mine buy a car with a full wrap that started bubbling along some of the edges. The lower doors and part of the trunk. That’s the only “first hand” experience I’ve seen with it. Though it’s not much...

I’ve read numerous stories about having to replace sections due to incorrect installation, or a faulty sheet of PPF.

Also read about full PPF removal pulling up paint, and tons of issues with discoloring after several years. Even though I bet it’s a case of “you get what you pay for” lol

I’ve come to realize most that do PPF are only keeping the car a few years. This car will be with me for a couple decades. I don’t want to remove the PPF when it’s time to replace, and I don’t want to “live” with imperfections if something happens like discoloration and bubbling (if that happens)

I’m all for ceramic. And taking care of it the ole fashion way. Not to mention the car will only be a weekend warrior at the most.

No problem as PPF is not mandatory for all. The key to good PPF is a truly experienced and quality installer. That is the most important aspect. I do keep my cars. My TTS (my 13th Pcar) will be with me as my long time retirement car. Old guys going fast is a must in Florida so longevity of a beautiful finish is my top priority. I already have 30k in my ride predominately with PPF.
But you have to want it or have experienced how Pcars attract road shrapnel to appreciate it. Good luck with whatever your choice is.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 12:41 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Good to know. Not counting it out just yet..

Full wraps are crazy expensive. I agree with that.
I would suggest protecting the area affected by sand, rocks etc. Don't think I would do entire car...seems like overkill to me. Virtually imperceptible texture difference.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:13 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 77 Posts

Full wrap for me, for my last three new cars. On my current 911, it saved my paint from being chipped when I was sideswiped by a taxi on the driver's side door, and when some jackass must have walked past my car while it was parked while the person must have been carrying a heavy object that ripped into the wrap and dinged the right rear quarter. In the first instance, my ding and dent coverage covered the dent removal and the integrity of the wrap wasn't damaged permanently, no cost. In the second instance, once again because the paint wasn't shipped, the ding and dent coverage covered the dent removal and I paid to have new wrap cut and reapplied to the right rear quarter.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:52 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

How does PPF work with graphics, like on the hood or the side? It is my understanding the front of the 992 rear fenders come standard with some PPF protection, so is that why the OEM side graphics end at the rear of the door? Yet the configurator will allow both the stripe down the center of the hood and the factory PPF option. Bottom line, can PPF be applied on top of a graphics decal?
Old 12-22-2019, 03:06 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

As an update to this thread... I wanted to add that I decided to go full ceramic treatment to this car ... to include

-Wheels, calipers, wheel wells
-Leather surfaces
-Plastic interior surfaces
-Glass
-and of course the paint and PPF surfaces

Upon doing more research this is a no brainer for an OCD guy like me who can't stand fingerprints, dust and such... and the guy doing it for me (SF Bay Area) is very reasonable
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
BudgetPlan1 (12-22-2019), detansinn (12-22-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 02:08 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

As an update to this thread... I wanted to add that I decided to go full ceramic treatment to this car ... to include

-Wheels, calipers, wheel wells
-Leather surfaces
-Plastic interior surfaces
-Glass
-and of course the paint and PPF surfaces

Upon doing more research this is a no brainer for an OCD guy like me who can't stand fingerprints, dust and such... and the guy doing it for me (SF Bay Area) is very reasonable
Does the $3200 include all that? Also does he custom cut the ppf?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:51 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moomin
Does the $3200 include all that? Also does he custom cut the ppf?
no... that was prior to adding all that extra ceramic coating ..

$1950 for all of the Ceramic and paint correction, and another $1800 for the frontal areas of the car in PPF... Yes, the PPF is custom cut, but that's done with a different guy/shop near by.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

I had a custom wrap, Xpel Ultimate Plus, with full front bumpers/spoilers, full hood front fenders, full rear quarter including front of roof a pillars and mirrors , under doors and behind the rear wheel wells and wrapped painted side skirts. $3k.
Full Cquartz 4 coats plus all glass and rims $2k.

Last edited by Penn4S; 12-24-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Full PPF Wrap vs. Options