Sponsored by:

Shipping from Germany - which boats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:05 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
yeah, my guy hasn't sent me anything without my asking first... and always when I ask, there is something new... and I'm thinking "well crap, why didn't you tell me??" ... could be the 5% discount I got makes him feel like it's not worth the extra work?
Same here. Maybe since we are paying less than list price we should feel like they are doing us a favor lol
Old 11-04-2019, 02:28 PM
MarineDrive
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
but it doesn't show stops or times at various ports... doesn't seem correct.
I see your point. Probably this is the schedule for Expected Load ready for Week 43, hence it may not show your planned ship. Maybe you need to check back on the site for Week 44 or 45 for the actual ship, or else like a few others have mentioned, need to force this info out of the SA.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Im working through the same dealership as you. Haven’t gotten one update that wasn’t something I had contacted them about to get info. The only thing I’ve heard, that I had initiated the question. Was when my car is due to arrive to the port of Benicia and I was told it will arrive the last week of February.
Sorry to hear that, but based upon your delivery timeline, I suspect it's because there isn't much to tell at this point of the process.. When your car completes production and it ready for transportation to the port, you'll probably get updated.

The order -> delivery journey is long, but you have something great to look forward to at the end of February!
Old 11-04-2019, 04:00 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Golfster
Sorry to hear that, but based upon your delivery timeline, I suspect it's because there isn't much to tell at this point of the process.. When your car completes production and it ready for transportation to the port, you'll probably get updated.

The order -> delivery journey is long, but you have something great to look forward to at the end of February!
You know what. that is probably right. Unfortunately I hadn't received any word from them on when they were even going to start production until I checked in with them.

I'll wait and see with what updates I get. I'm not really one to call or text constantly for updates, but hopefully I'll get the feedback you received. That would be great!

Expected to build in two weeks with port arrival last week of January. I actually hope it comes the first week of February instead so it can avoid sitting any extended time before the January 24th release.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:59 PM
BernieR
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car's boat has made several stops already on the East coast.... now going to Veracruz MX. Then on through the PC up the Pacific. Like a months journey !
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Michael Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieR
My car's boat has made several stops already on the East coast.... now going to Veracruz MX. Then on through the PC up the Pacific. Like a months journey !
Is your car on the Mediterranean Higway???
Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Quick question for the uninitiated. How does Porsche package their cars for shipment? How protected are they?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:21 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
Quick question for the uninitiated. How does Porsche package their cars for shipment? How protected are they?
Some thin plastic bits are placed on the paint almost like giant stickers - they probably cover around 40% of the car. The dealer will pull those off prior to delivery. There are some tiny pieces of foam on the front bumper. Seats have cloth-like bags tossed over them. In my experience, it seems comparable to how Audi sends over their cars - you could always sneak over to your dealer and ask them if you could check out a car that is being prepped for customer delivery in service to get an idea.

That said, I’d find a detailer to get the paint corrected. Whether you want to do ceramic or PPF is up to you.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Some thin plastic bits are placed on the paint almost like giant stickers - they probably cover around 40% of the car. The dealer will pull those off prior to delivery. There are some tiny pieces of foam on the front bumper. Seats have cloth-like bags tossed over them. In my experience, it seems comparable to how Audi sends over their cars - you could always sneak over to your dealer and ask them if you could check out a car that is being prepped for customer delivery in service to get an idea.

That said, I’d find a detailer to get the paint corrected. Whether you want to do ceramic or PPF is up to you.
Appreciate the feedback. I do have paint correction and ceramic planned with a reputable spot in the Bay Area upon arrival. Thanks again. I was almost hoping they put them in their own personal crate with bubble wrap lol
Old 11-05-2019, 03:09 AM
RacyTracy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is on the Viking Queen right now.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:23 AM
MarineDrive
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

They send Lamborghinis in branded Wooden Crates that are completely sealed. Guess Porsches are too common for this special effort.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

You really don't want to know.

To say that Porsche does "touch up" at the Port of Entry during the PDI process is like saying the Grand Canyon is a hole in the ground.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MarineDrive
They send Lamborghinis in branded Wooden Crates that are completely sealed. Guess Porsches are too common for this special effort.
....and not well enough made to stand to normal transport that the vast majority of cars in the world survive without comment? Wooden crates ( branded too ! ) ..really. I for one glad I didn't have to pay extra for such nonsense .
Old 11-05-2019, 09:24 AM
BernieR
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Smith
Is your car on the Mediterranean Higway???
RCC Europe
Old 11-05-2019, 01:48 PM
RacyTracy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Viking Queen just entered the port at Davisville about 5 hours ago.

Quick Reply: Shipping from Germany - which boats?