Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 order placed, sitting in 992 for the first time made my 991 interior feel old

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

After driving the 992 I love it dynamically for a daily driver...the interior ergonomics are actually a little annoying at times but likely all workable in the long run (lots of awkward angles and what I call T-rex arms to activate things like the window switches and park button, even the volume ****). Im debating if I really need to update from my 991.2 4s which has about 500 AWHP from the Cobb tune or not...which is major credit to Porsche as I never thought I would even think that far.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Sam - insightful comments, as always. You call the 991 interior "old," I would say it has a "patina" compared to the much more modern 992. I, for one, prefer the 5 analogue gauges (all of which are visible) in the 991 and I prefer being able to shift gears with the gear shifter. I am also not a fan of the 992 cupholder situation, either for the driver or the passenger. I am not saying the 991 interior is better than the 992 interior. I am saying it is better for me which is all that counts, at the end of the day.
The majority of it is subjective... at the end. I will say this however, I NEVER use cup holders because I NEVER drink, not even water in my car.. I actually remember the day when most European makers refused to instal cupholders in their cars.. it was the Big gulp happy US market that demanded it and punished them vs the Japanese who were happy to give you 12 big gulp sized cup holders that made them add them in.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:58 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Sam - insightful comments, as always. You call the 991 interior "old," I would say it has a "patina" compared to the much more modern 992. I, for one, prefer the 5 analogue gauges (all of which are visible) in the 991 and I prefer being able to shift gears with the gear shifter. I am also not a fan of the 992 cupholder situation, either for the driver or the passenger. I am not saying the 991 interior is better than the 992 interior. I am saying it is better for me which is all that counts, at the end of the day.
Patina is a great word to describe the 991 interior. I’ve sat in both 991.2 and 992 and also prefer the 991 interior. It feels more integrated and focused.

992 is definitely more tech-centric and there are a number of things I like such as the center tach, but the interior doesn’t feel cohesive and there are a number of odd elements that seemed cobbled together. For example, I don’t think the horizontal shelf pairs well with the piano black vertical section, and I don’t think either are going to age well. And I don’t understand why the center cup holder is so prominent.

Originally Posted by 992Sam
The majority of it is subjective... at the end. I will say this however, I NEVER use cup holders because I NEVER drink, not even water in my car.. I actually remember the day when most European makers refused to instal cupholders in their cars.. it was the Big gulp happy US market that demanded it and punished them vs the Japanese who were happy to give you 12 big gulp sized cup holders that made them add them in.
Don’t you get thirsty?😄. Impressive if you can not drink at all on say a 3 hour road trip. Would be nice if there was a delete cup holder option then. I don’t mean the cubby hole, but some sleek cover over the cubby hole.

I’m glad you like the 992. Enjoy in good health. I’ve seen a couple pop up on the streets in SF Bay Area now.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:10 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Patina is a great word to describe the 991 interior. I’ve sat in both 991.2 and 992 and also prefer the 991 interior. It feels more integrated and focused.

992 is definitely more tech-centric and there are a number of things I like such as the center tach, but the interior doesn’t feel cohesive and there are a number of odd elements that seemed cobbled together. For example, I don’t think the horizontal shelf pairs well with the piano black vertical section, and I don’t think either are going to age well. And I don’t understand why the center cup holder is so prominent.

Don’t you get thirsty?😄. Impressive if you can not drink at all on say a 3 hour road trip. Would be nice if there was a delete cup holder option then. I don’t mean the cubby hole, but some sleek cover over the cubby hole.

I’m glad you like the 992. Enjoy in good health. I’ve seen a couple pop up on the streets in SF Bay Area now.
if thirsty I stop and find a drink. ... as for the cubby.. they already make an storage container to fit in that spot.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I sat in one last week while waiting to pick up my car at the service desk. I didn't take it out. Compared to my C2, looking out the front the hood seems higher, fenders flatter, overall wider, and I couldn't position the seat to have the same forward vision of the road. I didn't like the outward view as much but the interior materials are a step up for sure.

The car was a magnificent Miami Blue with black rims (https://www.porscheoftysonscorner.co...9ls226456.html ...the photos do NOT do this car justice).

When the manual transmission is available, I will take one out for a spin.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:40 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam

EXACTLY, I have never understood why a motor vehicle should be responsible for managing beverages. More confusing to me is that humans who drink (and eat) in vehicles also have to you know, use the bathroom... I understand that people want comfort and convince but if that's at the forefront then why aren't toilets installed right into the seats? I mean what's more uncomfortable? Racing to a rest stop because your thirsty or because your insides are about to burst?

Originally Posted by TennisGuy

There is a definite and hilarious contraction between Porches marketing of the 992 as a "timeless machine" and the gimmicky techno laden interior they chose to install in it which will likely prove to be the worst aging 911 interior of all time.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 149 Posts

I sat in a 992 today while at the dealer. If I were in the market for a new 911, I would not let my two little gripes of my initial impressions stop me.

I don’t mind the small shifter for the PDK, I think it integrates well with the other switch gear forward of it. I was not impressed with the quality of the buttons for the seat heating and cooling. For ME, it seems of lesser quality than the nice lil nubbin toggle switches.

I am surprised how small the little “nubbin” is which is used to start the engine. Is it true that it is standard regardless whether or not you have Entry & Drive? I kinda like taking my Fob out to start the engine. It is a small act, but it provides a connection to the car, however small a detail that it is. That and the manual transmission let me pretend that I am driving an old air cooled 911. I guess we all “connect” with our cars differently. For me it’s not about 0-60 times or lap times of some ring in Germany that I may never see. It’s the sensory connection whether driving spritely on an isolated road or just cruising around town.

I must admit that I am envious anytime I see someone in an air cooled 911. For them it’s not about the entertainment system or other gizmos. They seem to be content with simplicity. Granted, its probably not their daily driver.

Congratulations to all who are getting 992’s, it’s continuing a great automotive heritage. To paraphrase what my cousin once told me. I never me a Porsche that I didn’t like.
992Sam (10-29-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 AM
verstraete
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

My 991.2 Launch Edition C2S was approaching the end of its four-year warranty and I went to the dealer yesterday prepared to consider ordering a 992 C4S. After driving one, and comparing the interior, door handles, etc. to that of a left-over 2019 991.2 C4S, I went home with the 2019. Obviously personal preference, but my wife was emphatically in agreement as well.
Maybe it's generational, but the 992 nubbin, smart phone like dash, etc. turned me off completely. Driving, the performance level of both the 991.2 and the 992 was more than adequate for me for the type of street use that I envision.
The following 3 users liked this post by verstraete:
JHesketh (10-30-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (10-30-2019), TennisGuy (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
My 991.2 Launch Edition C2S was approaching the end of its four-year warranty and I went to the dealer yesterday prepared to consider ordering a 992 C4S. After driving one, and comparing the interior, door handles, etc. to that of a left-over 2019 991.2 C4S, I went home with the 2019. Obviously personal preference, but my wife was emphatically in agreement as well.
Maybe it's generational, but the 992 nubbin, smart phone like dash, etc. turned me off completely. Driving, the performance level of both the 991.2 and the 992 was more than adequate for me for the type of street use that I envision.
Last year I decided I wanted a new 911 and I test drove several 991.2 cars, but read about the upcoming 992 and decided I would wait to decide what I wanted until I saw the 992. As soon as I did I placed my order, for a 991.2 (manual). I have hope that Porsche will update the car in the future and if they do I might be a future owner albeit I am not sure that will happen and since I like my current car so much at this stage it really does not matter since the car is perfect for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Porsche911GTS'16 (10-30-2019), TennisGuy (10-30-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 PM
hamerans
Track Day

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Can confirm: I was dismissive of it at first and hated the shifter. Thought the retro designs were too much. Then I drove one. Realized my 991.2 interior was dated compared to it. Then I ordered one lol.
992Sam (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 PM
cr-997
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hamerans
Can confirm: I was dismissive of it at first and hated the shifter. Thought the retro designs were too much. Then I drove one. Realized my 991.2 interior was dated compared to it. Then I ordered one lol.
I thought about the 991.2 briefly. It's a nice car without doubt. After experiencing the 992, the 991.2 seemed a bit dated. Hence, there is a 992 in my garage.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by cr-997
I thought about the 991.2 briefly. It's a nice car without doubt. After experiencing the 992, the 991.2 seemed a bit dated. Hence, there is a 992 in my garage.
When I sat in the 992 it felt more open and not as cozy as the 991, which is probably why I like the latter more. I am looking forward to driving a manual since even though I do not care for the 992's looks it is still a 911, but I do not need or want the techy stuff so I may never come around to one, and if that is what people call outdated I see what you mean.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 PM
cr-997
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
When I sat in the 992 it felt more open and not as cozy as the 991, which is probably why I like the latter more. I am looking forward to driving a manual since even though I do not care for the 992's looks it is still a 911, but I do not need or want the techy stuff so I may never come around to one, and if that is what people call outdated I see what you mean.
Fair enough. I respect your opinion. Both are very nice 911's and I feel that you can't go wrong. I've had the previous gen cars and they're phenomenal as well. I was skeptical with the tech in the 992 at first, but after having now driving one daily for a short period it's legitimately good and I feel that Porsche has 'upped' the game with the 992.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by hamerans
Lmao I was the exact same way. Definitely ate some crow and love the new gen now. It's not without some minor flaws or gripes but overall I dig how futuristic the car feels, it feels more well thought out and put together for exterior and interior once I had more opportunity to spend time with the car. Kind of refreshing after seeing the 996/997/991 evolution, this feels like a bigger step of something new without throwing the baby out with the bathwater which would be sacrilegious for the 911 line. Videos and pictures aren't doing it justice IMO

Also, I'm happy the US cars won't have GPF (for now), and the car is full ICE and no hybrid (for now). I will take it

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. Both are very nice 911's and I feel that you can't go wrong. I've had the previous gen cars and they're phenomenal as well. I was skeptical with the tech in the 992 at first, but after having now driving one daily for a short period it's legitimately good and I feel that Porsche has 'upped' the game with the 992.
Yep agreed. No right or wrong answer. 991 gen still has a special place in my heart for some reason. But I wanted to inject some positivity and excitement to the 992 subsection as it felt like there was a lot of negativity vocalized by some people upset with the changes on minor things when overall I view the 992 as a fairly big game changer as you alluded to
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

The 991 interior felt dated to me when I got my 991 GT3 back in 2015.

Quick Reply: 992 order placed, sitting in 992 for the first time made my 991 interior feel old