Sponsored by:

992 PCM Music Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 992 PCM Music Streaming

One of the biggest thing i hate about mine 992, is Music Streaming service...
Let's start from this, i have a Tesla model S, built in 2014... It comes with free Spotify account and to use Tesla infotainment system is real pleasure to use (Tesla really deserve the name of best in world infotainment system: https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...ts-2019-5?IR=T). Tesla made it in 2013!!!
So i was so happy to hear that Porsche added Amazon Music as built-in app in PCM... When i got mine 992, i was so disappointed when find out that to stream music from Amazon Music (witch is built-in app), i always have to connect mine phone to PCM WiFi hotspot, otherwise it will not work...
I still can't find a reason behind that, as technically it's possible (2014 Tesla have Spotify) and there is no any marketing reason behind that also, as i installed pre-paid sim card with data services to my car, so i didn't bought any additional Porsche service. What the other reason can be to make it work in such complicated way?
Also i have a Burmeister, so i can confirm that Tesla Premium Sound Package sounds really better.

Why most automakers can just make something similar as Tesla did and just make the infotainment interface user friendly. Now they all try to re-invent the wheel...

So i am interested to hear how other people stream music to their 992. A lot of people here use Amazon Music?

P.S. i have to say: 992 infotainment is really not so bad, as i had a Range Rover Sport two years ago, that was something really bad
Old 10-15-2019, 12:32 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Re. The Tesla sound system being better, the answer to that is simply you’re comparing a sports car with a mid-level sedan. Compare the road noise between the two cars as well, you can see where porsche put their priorities. The high end audio systems in the 911 are secondary to the cars performance.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Mr.Speed
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Re. The Tesla sound system being better, the answer to that is simply you’re comparing a sports car with a mid-level sedan. Compare the road noise between the two cars as well, you can see where porsche put their priorities. The high end audio systems in the 911 are secondary to the cars performance.
Yes, but they had to develop this infotainment system as it's quite new, so i don't understand why to make such decisions to make things so complicated... So why to make the app built-in, while it doesn't work without phone connected.

Anyway, got good advice from other forum member, Tidel over CarPlay is the way to go, sound quality is completely different and all rattling sound from the doors is nearly gone also. So Amazon Music is useless from that perspective too...
Old 10-15-2019, 02:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Aside from some WTF configuration challenges like using the Connect mobile app to authenticate Amazon Music, everything seems to be working properly now. The Porsche Connect servers were apparently down for maintenance this weekend and that caused all kinds of weirdness and confusion like "is it supposed to work like this?". With the dust settled, I am actually pretty satisfied with it right now. I am hoping that in dash Apple Music isn't going to be a Taycan only PCM thing. PCM supports OTA updates and will likely get better over time.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:44 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Speed
Yes, but they had to develop this infotainment system as it's quite new, so i don't understand why to make such decisions to make things so complicated... So why to make the app built-in, while it doesn't work without phone connected.

Anyway, got good advice from other forum member, Tidel over CarPlay is the way to go, sound quality is completely different and all rattling sound from the doors is nearly gone also. So Amazon Music is useless from that perspective too...
Very true. Porsche also has all the resources of the VW group at hand, it does seem strange that they don't take advantage. Maybe they have to pay internal transfer charges for use of IP from other subsidiaries.

Quick Reply: 992 PCM Music Streaming