Sponsored by:

Hardwired BlackVue dashcams and Uniden R7 radar

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Hardwired BlackVue dashcams and Uniden R7 radar

I picked up my car a week ago and on Monday had the following installed (plus used Blendmount for stable platform for BlackVue DR900S under rear view mirror) - I picked up these items months ago when I naively thought I was going to get my car on 12 July:

I bought a couple of the R7 to replace my two Valentine1 (Unidens are way better and also have front/rear sensors and arrows).
The BlackVue DR900S is one of the best rated dashcams with pretty good software (but front unit is much bigger than I expected).
Samsung Pro Endurance micro-sd card is well rated for use in very hot/cold environments and under continuous operation such as dashcams (needs special formatting for BlackVue use).
The Power Magic Pro gives peace of mind that your car battery won't be drained should you leave it for several days with dashcam constantly recording - I have it set to turn off the BlackVue if battery voltage goes below 12.5V or after 72 hours whichever happens first.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Here is how it looks installed:

The black case to left of mirror holds my EZ-Pass. Then you have Blackvue front camera under mirror and the Uniden R7 to the right.

Rear Dashcam - only 1080P for this one whereas front camera is 4K.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:54 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

The work was done by Ron at Tier One Motoring near King of Prussia in PA. I think they did a great job - this was the first 992 they had seen (they do a lot of work on high end cars) and it took them 5 hours to wire things up due to learning the vehicle (literally twice as long as he expected). After the first hour I wandered off to the movie theater 200 yards away to watch Joker.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Ron told me he would take some pics of the work in progress - but ended up with only three pics that mean nothing to me (sorry)...

I can say that the fuse box (drivers footwell on left) had two empty sockets used for my components. Left one in pic is constant power and used for dashcam, right one in pic is active only when car on and used for radar.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

One of the challenges here is routing the data/power wire from the rear dashcam to the front one which has the MicroSD card for writing data to. Ron mentioned that sometimes people hide wires in front of airbag areas along pillars and roof and these could foul the airbag in an accident - he works around them.

Here you can see the right and left side of the front dashcam re wiring (front cable goes to fusebox in left side driver footwell, and rear cable routed around the car to the rear dashcam). Again the EZ-Pass holder is the box above and right of the BlackVue (perfectly hidden by rear view mirror from drivers seat).

Here is a view from below showing the BlendMount and DR900S:

Finally here is a pic of the R7 and DR900S in operation from drivers seat (zoomed in a bit - not so big or distracting in real life):

Hope this helps some of you with your installs...
The following 2 users liked this post by pelucidor:
Mark Nuanual (01-22-2021), wotaskd (12-10-2021)
Old 10-12-2019, 02:17 AM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Excellent! Great write-up, thanks 👍
Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 AM
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 96 Posts

How reliable is the Blachvue. I use standard dashcams and never really had any incidents where I needed them. I’m worried in a situation that I need them the memory card may be empty.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:56 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2020
How reliable is the Blachvue. I use standard dashcams and never really had any incidents where I needed them. I’m worried in a situation that I need them the memory card may be empty.
It is one of the top 4K dashcams and pretty reliable if paired with a good MicroSD card - the benefit here is the clarity and wide angle recording (allowing license plates to be read) and the parking mode which is recording before someone bumps your car.

Here is a review from the company I bought it from - they sell all the top brands of dashcam (I was also looking at the Thinkware F800):
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/...ng-term-review
Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

It's of essence to buy the correct SD card. Not the fastest necessarily, but the one recommended. Not doing that will overheat the dashcam, eventually faulting it. I bought the BlackVue branded SD, although it's a brand name labeled BlackVue. No issues for 3 years. I did burn a couple of other brand's dashcams in the past before finding out about this.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:33 PM
zskylar
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Where did you find the black e-z pass mount?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:20 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

I wish these cars had a built in security camera system like the Tesla. They could add a forward facing camera in the back of the rear view mirror and use the backup camera to cover the rear. While your install is nice, it is a bit too bulky for my taste.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:48 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zskylar
Where did you find the black e-z pass mount?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit the new/small EZ-Pass not the big/old rectangular ones. The mount is pretty good but after a few years the black plastic starts to warp in the heat on the windshield so I have to replace them occasionally.
The following users liked this post:
wotaskd (12-10-2021)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:48 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone know a good fuse to use for constant and switched power? In my 991.2, my dashcam strangely makes my keyless entry range virtually non-existent.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
It's of essence to buy the correct SD card. Not the fastest necessarily, but the one recommended. Not doing that will overheat the dashcam, eventually faulting it. I bought the BlackVue branded SD, although it's a brand name labeled BlackVue. No issues for 3 years. I did burn a couple of other brand's dashcams in the past before finding out about this.
Really good point! I spent almost as much time reviewing and choosing Micro-SD cards for a dashcam as I did looking at the dashcams themselves. The Samsung Pro Endurance (and a few others) have a really good reputation for this kind of use.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:58 PM
maxysx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a new 922 and plan on installing a blackvue 900 dual ch dash cam myself. I am just curious which fuse you tapped for the constant power [the red wire ] and which one you tapped for the engine on only [the yellow wire]? i am trying to install a dash cam this weekend. Appreciate the help. thanks.

Max

Quick Reply: Hardwired BlackVue dashcams and Uniden R7 radar