Sponsored by:

Yet another test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Tiexin Guo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another test drive review

Did a test drive of 992 c2s, full option, my current drive is m2c. Simple review of the 992:

1. Seats

Sitting position: low, although not very low. M2 sitting position is much higher even if you adjust it to the lowest. Enough wheel/chair adjustment to find a comfy position, much better knee-to-dash room than 718.

14 way electric seats much harder than M2c, not very comfy, after 4 hour test drive my back hurt. As daily driver it's fine, but I'd prefer to do long distance tours in M2c than this.

Lumbar support adjustment range is much much smaller than M2c. It's better than none, but doesn't really help much in my case.

No lateral support cause the seat is just too wide. I'm not skinny, nor fat, but during cornering, there is no support at all in the waist area.

2. Drive

Steering wheel feels skinny, not a bad thing though; M2c steering wheel is fat, but it's not bad either.

PASM normal is good enough on normal B road, sport is too harshy bumpy. The ride is much nicer than the 718 T I test drove last week.

Sport exhaust sounds deeper and a little louder. I can live with normal mode so I guess I can save a few quid here. When driving at higher speed, it actually feels quieter than my M2c, I guess it's because it has 8 gears so the rev is low and the engine is further from the driver.

Never did launch control during the 4 hour 160km test drive. I figured if I didn't do it in somebody else's car, I'd definitely not do it in my own car. So I can save two grand here again. I know it has active engine mount but I don't really know how different it would feel if it hadn't got it. In real life I'm not gonna drive one with it then immediately drive another one without, so I think I can live without it. If I had made the order before my test drive, I'd probably choose chrono, now I can save the money.

Rear wheel steering didn't really feel it, can save money again.

Not sure how much PDCC changes the ride either, because the low body roll could just be that it has a much lower center of weight than M2c.

As a summary, nothing from the Antrieb und Fahrwerk section is a must-have for me. I'd probably only get the 90L fuel tank.

In addition, I feel the gas pedal is less responsive than M2 in sport plus mode. It's fast, but I think mainly because of the PDK: when you press gas hard it drops down a few gears. Tried in manual mode no change down acceleration, somehow feels less torquey than M2c. Had a Golf GTI DSG before and it felt the same.

3. Interior

A few things probably everyone already knew from other reviews:

The two outter most dash can't be seen because blocked by the steering wheel. When in sat nav mode, it blocks where you are on the map perfectly so you have to look at the main LCD screen in the middle;

No physical AC on/off button so you have to poke the touch screen many times, so is exhaust mode/auto start-stop.

For me the sat nav is weird and I don't like it. when it prompts you to turn or exit, in that status, you can't change between north-up/forward-up because it is "not possible at the moment".

Gear lever weirdly I can live with.

At the end of the day, I didn't make the order right away, although I have played with the configurator for months before the test drive. I wasn't fully convinced. In my region the price of c2s is more than doubled than my M2c, but I don't really feel it worths that. In the end I probably still will make the order, but it's mainly becuase the lack of options in this price range (don't like the look of AMG GT), rather than I really love it.

Popular Reply

09-03-2019, 12:17 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

destaccado, You love your GT3, and that's great. It's a fantastic car, and I'm sure almost every Porsche enthusiast would agree with that. However, for various reasons not everyone wants to own one. Some of us want to drive a Cab or Targa, some need the utility of a back seat, some don't like wings or center lock wheels, some want all wheel drive, some want to spend less money on a 911, and some want to spend their money on creature comfort options, some want to spend their money on a TT or TTS. And, while you seem to be overly concerned about depreciation, I'd venture to guess that depreciation is the last thing most of us think about when we decide to enter the 911 realm. Your negative attitude about the 992 and your continued attempts to convince the Porsche world that we should all buy only GT3s is getting old.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Okay - I have many questions here:

why spend money on something you don't love? Just because it's a 911? Have you tried an M4? M5?

You can live with the NUBBIN? You kidding me? ha

What brakes did it have? standard or PCCB? And with something that has put on weight, I would stake my claim for PDCC TBH.

I'm not sure of the rear steering calibration on this car, but on my TT and GT3 I can definitely feel it...and love it.
Be careful for Sport chrono, if you don't get it, it will hurt re-sale (if you care).

Try 18-way seats. IMO they are better. The 14-ways suck IMO.

Did you put this car into Sport Plus? I would have to say it should be MUCH more torquey than an M2.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:33 AM
Tiexin Guo
AutoX

Originally Posted by chance6
Okay - I have many questions here:

why spend money on something you don't love? Just because it's a 911? Have you tried an M4? M5?

You can live with the NUBBIN? You kidding me? ha

What brakes did it have? standard or PCCB? And with something that has put on weight, I would stake my claim for PDCC TBH.

I'm not sure of the rear steering calibration on this car, but on my TT and GT3 I can definitely feel it...and love it.
Be careful for Sport chrono, if you don't get it, it will hurt re-sale (if you care).

Try 18-way seats. IMO they are better. The 14-ways suck IMO.

Did you put this car into Sport Plus? I would have to say it should be MUCH more torquey than an M2.
I have m2, and I have no plan to sell it, so I wouldn't consider m4.
M5 actually I have thought about it, but it's too practical, I don't need 4 doors at all, doesn't make sense to drag along the huge big body all day... The marina bay blue m5c does look nice though, so is the engine.
Vantage v8 is way too expensive, what else? I don't really have many options here...

Test drive car brake is standard, not ceramic, but no complain at all. Thanks for the advice for pdcc and chrono.

18 way seats are definitely much better, feels it's hugging you. Only sat in it, did not test drive it. If I make the order I will opt for it for sure.

Didn't know sport plus mode would keep turbo at high boost; tried sport mode, it always stays above 3000 rpm. I'm paying for the fuel of the test drive so I changed to manual where I can at least change to 1500rpm then drop down a few when needed. I think with sport chrono there is an individual mode right? Maybe can set gear change to normal but keep turbo boost.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiexin Guo
At the end of the day, I didn't make the order right away, although I have played with the configurator for months before the test drive. I wasn't fully convinced. In my region the price of c2s is more than doubled than my M2c, but I don't really feel it worths that. In the end I probably still will make the order, but it's mainly becuase the lack of options in this price range (don't like the look of AMG GT), rather than I really love it.
I just don't get this AT ALL.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Tiexin Guo
AutoX

Originally Posted by FORENN
I just don't get this AT ALL.
Well because I want to buy a second car within that price range and I don't really have other options.
As I said, I really don't like the look of the AMG GT, which I think is the only comparable car to 911. What else do you suggest? I'd be happy to give it a test drive.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

honestly you don't sound excited enough. keep your M2 and wait for the 992.2 and then see if the changes are worth the money to you. Why waste so much money on a thing that is supposed to be a passion purchase? some people barely can afford to eat properly. Enjoy your M2, change cars when you find something that really excites you.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:31 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Might I suggest others to drive:

Merc C63 AMG
Panamera GTS
991.1 GT3
991.2 GTS.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiexin Guo
Rear wheel steering didn't really feel it, can save money again.

You call a few things out that you didn’t feel, ie RWS and active engine mounts. Just keep in mind that’s the point- if Porsche did their job you won’t “feel” them from behind the wheel. Instead when you drive the car without you’ll find it feels bigger and less responsive. I’m not pushing RWS, just suggesting that “feeling” it, or not, is not the right test.

I loved my 1M. I agree with others- if you don’t love the Carrera I’d look for a car that you do love. Budget should only open options.
Have you considered a Spyder? GT3/ Touring? 911T (the 991)? 991 Turbo? 997 GT3 RS? Just listing a few different types of experiences that might impress you more. The 992 might be the “latest and greatest” but that doesn’t mean it’s the greatest for you...
Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Might I suggest others to drive:

Merc C63 AMG
Panamera GTS
991.1 GT3
991.2 GTS.
OP doesn't want a 4 door vehicle as his second car but I think you are spot-on re looking at older and more performance oriented 911s.

As others have said: if you are not really passionate about such an expensive car then keep looking, or save your money until the right things comes along...
Old 09-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

You comment about the steering wheel. The Porsche steering wheel isn't skinny... it's just that BMW makes abnormally THICK steering wheels for their M models. What other manufacturer makes steering wheels as thick as BMW??? Nooooooooooooobody!
Old 09-02-2019, 04:54 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
You comment about the steering wheel. The Porsche steering wheel isn't skinny... it's just that BMW makes abnormally THICK steering wheels for their M models. What other manufacturer makes steering wheels as thick as BMW??? Nooooooooooooobody!
personally I don't like the thick BMW steering wheels, way too much
Old 09-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

You're in the wrong forum. Drive a mid-engine Porsche. You won't look back.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:54 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Idiot 992 basher... Mr. Sour Puss Destaccado grow up.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Tiexin Guo
AutoX

Originally Posted by Selo
You're in the wrong forum. Drive a mid-engine Porsche. You won't look back.
You mean a cayman gt4?
I quite like the look of it, but there is no place to see it in my local area.
A little afraid that it might be too harsh for B roads
Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 AM
Tiexin Guo
AutoX

Originally Posted by destaccado
I totally agree with your review.

The M2C is a fantastic car for the money - I felt the 992 is rather uninspiring at the current price point. From a value perspective - the M2C is something like 50% more car per dollar.

I'd recommend you wait for the 992 GT3 or look at a 991.2 GT3. Personally, I'll be looking at the Taycan.

Don't spend the money just to spend the money.
GT3 is almost 200k in my country, for that price I'd choose from 488/huracan/db11/600lt.
I am struggling because maximum I can afford is 911 c2s, (or amg gt which I don't like), and it didn't fully convince me and I have no other choices at all. Not bashing, not saying it's a bad car, it definitely isn't.

Quick Reply: Yet another test drive review