Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WET MODE.. can be simulated at car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 01:00 PM
ontrack24
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WET MODE.. can be simulated at car wash?

As we all know, 992 comes with so called “acoustic sensor(s)” in the wheel house to detect amount of water on the road..
Is it possible to have wet mode warning when the car is not moving(pdk in P or D with foot brake), and have water spray in the wheel well?
In other words, Anyone have experienced wet mode warning comes up during... car wash? Which means the sensor detects direct water spray into the wheel house even when the car is not moving?

992 is not available in my region yet, and I need to make some plan on experience event in advance..
Regarding wet mode, any information from the real world will be appreciated..!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

I don’t understand.

If the car is at a standstill, even if the wet mode is activated it’s not going to matter.

Wet mode simply preconditions the car to activate PSM and PTV, which only matter when the car is in motion, and at more than insignificant speeds type of motion.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 AM
ontrack24
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don’t understand.

If the car is at a standstill, even if the wet mode is activated it’s not going to matter.

Wet mode simply preconditions the car to activate PSM and PTV, which only matter when the car is in motion, and at more than insignificant speeds type of motion.
Actually I am looking for a way to show others that wet mode sign is up in certain condition. During local show case event. So the car has to be stand still.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:23 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ontrack24
Actually I am looking for a way to show others that wet mode sign is up in certain condition. During local show case event. So the car has to be stand still.
I’ve had mine for 3 months and find Wet mode needs some pretty heavy rain to activate. I did 280 miles in torrential rain yesterday (21mm fall in 24 hours) and the sensors didn’t pick it up. I switched to it manually and have say it’s good, couldn’t get the car out of shape despite driving quite hard and receiving messages to “adapt driving style to conditions”
Old 08-18-2019, 03:23 AM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
I’ve had mine for 3 months and find Wet mode needs some pretty heavy rain to activate. I did 280 miles in torrential rain yesterday (21mm fall in 24 hours) and the sensors didn’t pick it up. I switched to it manually and have say it’s good, couldn’t get the car out of shape despite driving quite hard and receiving messages to “adapt driving style to conditions”
It really needs quite a lot of water on the street to recognize wet conditions, true. Plus you have to hit a speed window for the sensors to work properly. Driving slowly never gives me any warning and at high speed it doesn't work at all, once you slow down in wet conditions, it suddenly gives you the warning.
Thus the thing with the sensors is a nice idea and maybe a gadget for some, but it's more than useless.

The wet mode itself on the other hand is one of the best new features of the car. My lady loves the stability and enjoys the confidence in the car even in heavy rain, I absolutely digg the traction the mode provides. (traction control in wet and stability control off would make one hell of a driving machine, but that is against the intention of the mode).

Nevertheless wet mode is NOT intended to activate itself! It won't do that. The sensors trigger a warning if they detect wetness (not reliable) to engage wet mode. If you have wet mode engaged and they detect wetness, it gives you almost the same warning, but instead of suggesting wet mode, it says something about adapting your driving to the conditions. Yet it doesn't even take your driving into account. You can cruise along relaxed in wet mode with no throttle applied, straight road, no PSM interventions and it still nannies you with the "adapt driving" warnings.
I don't know if it is over-engineered or not thought through enough or both. For me the mode itself is enough and worth a lot. They can drop the sensors and the warnings and invest the money in some weight optimisation
The following users liked this post:
pelucidor (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Osv
It really needs quite a lot of water on the street to recognize wet conditions, true. Plus you have to hit a speed window for the sensors to work properly. Driving slowly never gives me any warning and at high speed it doesn't work at all, once you slow down in wet conditions, it suddenly gives you the warning.
Thus the thing with the sensors is a nice idea and maybe a gadget for some, but it's more than useless.

The wet mode itself on the other hand is one of the best new features of the car. My lady loves the stability and enjoys the confidence in the car even in heavy rain, I absolutely digg the traction the mode provides. (traction control in wet and stability control off would make one hell of a driving machine, but that is against the intention of the mode).

Nevertheless wet mode is NOT intended to activate itself! It won't do that. The sensors trigger a warning if they detect wetness (not reliable) to engage wet mode. If you have wet mode engaged and they detect wetness, it gives you almost the same warning, but instead of suggesting wet mode, it says something about adapting your driving to the conditions. Yet it doesn't even take your driving into account. You can cruise along relaxed in wet mode with no throttle applied, straight road, no PSM interventions and it still nannies you with the "adapt driving" warnings.
I don't know if it is over-engineered or not thought through enough or both. For me the mode itself is enough and worth a lot. They can drop the sensors and the warnings and invest the money in some weight optimisation
Thanks for the detailed review of this feature. Sounds like Wet Mode itself is pretty useful but should be activated by the user and common sense (I can see it is raining heavily, let me switch from Sports+ to Wet Mode), vs Porsche investing all that time and effort in inconsistent sensors and alerts etc.

Quick Reply: WET MODE.. can be simulated at car wash?