Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of us have actually owned/leased a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019 | 10:36 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bolo
How many of us have actually have owned/ leased a 911? For me, the 992 will be my first. I’ve owned and enjoyed a couple of nice fast cars. BMW M3’s (e46 e92). Current M5 competition. I’ve dreamed of a 911 since I was 10 yrs old. And now I can do it. I love the rennlist forum. It’s super informative but it’s also sad reading about the 992 because so many view it as disappointing in so many different ways. I also intend to get a MT and the uncertainty around that is disappointing as well. I’m still in but kinda bummed that impressions are so negative by the time I’m actually able to execute on this. How many of us have owned/ leased one to really have a basis for the strong negative sentiments? I hope when more of us get our hands a on the car that things turn more favorable.
you must be new around here. It has always been this way. Once more people get the cars the mood will change. I have had 2 911's. Still have my 997. I can even recall the 997 2.0 coming out and people lambasting the PDK, and the taillights, and saying it wasn't a good enough change, etc. same with the 991, etc. They're all great, but most importantly don't let others tell you what to think of your car. IF you like it, buy it and make your own conclusions. it likely won't be perfect, but I highly doubt it disappoints in many, if any, areas.
Old 08-15-2019 | 10:39 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by destaccado
So 911 purists...the enthusiasts who arguably built the brand that Porsche is intent on whoring out as a luxury good these days are the ones who should move to Cayman / Boxsters? .
You put words in my mouth. What I said was arguably they were better served by EITHER the affordable, light weight, focussed, less gratuitous-tech sports cars OR the Carrera T light weight stripped out pure modern 911 or the vintage 911s. Porsche has something for everyone.

Not everyone here lives in the USA. The cars have been around for months now and there's probably a lot more experience with them then you think.
Quite so. I never suggested they did. Only that there is a recognisable group of nay-sayers whose commentary reveals very low first hand experience of the car.

For a 992, imagine a 991.2 GTS that looks different and you really aren't that far off. Back to back with my 991.1 GT3 Touring wasn't that much different on the autobahn besides all the noise and drama being gone. The 992 drives a lot closer to the 991.2 than the 991.1 did with the 997.2.
it is not necessary for me to ‘imagine’ I am intimately familiar with the models you discuss. The 997 to 991 jump was recognised at the time as ‘bigger’ than the normal model evolution. It is not right to expect yet another jump. This model is also acknowledged as a ‘gateway’ evolution.

Ya...at nearly GT3 pricing it really does. Expect a huge initial depreciation hit at which point it might be a nice value buy in the used market.
the base an S models are the volume pieces and so depreciation follows normal curves. The GT cars benefit from rarity value. Nobody disputes that.

And whether the 992 will suffer more severe depreciation than usual remains to be seen. I think one could just as easily make the prediction that this is Porsche’s last and hardest fought rear guard action against the death of internal combustion. This generation may turn out to be more valuable. Who knows? I doubt many people buy 911 S worrying too much about depreciation curves.

Look mate. It’s clear you don’t like the car. You’ve been shouting that all over the forum but that doesn’t make it a bad car, just one you don’t like. So don’t buy it. Let it go. These cars are about fun and you don’t seem to be having any. Time to jog on.
The following 3 users liked this post by JHesketh:
G650 (08-16-2019), got2go (08-15-2019), HankB (08-18-2019)
Old 08-15-2019 | 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

And keep in mind, the hunt sometime is as fun (or even more fun) than the kill. How privileged we are to be sports car shopping. Not everyone is in that position. Enjoy the ride. Test drive. Rinse & repeat. Then select what's best for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
JHesketh (08-15-2019), krabman (08-17-2019)
Old 08-15-2019 | 10:48 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh
You put words in my mouth. What I said was arguably they were better served by EITHER the affordable, light weight, focussed, less gratuitous-tech sports cars OR the Carrera T light weight stripped out pure modern 911 or the vintage 911s. Porsche has something for everyone.

Quite so. I never suggested they did. Only that there is a recognisable group of nay-sayers whose commentary reveals very low first hand experience of the car.

it is not necessary for me to ‘imagine’ I am intimately familiar with the models you discuss. The 997 to 991 jump was recognised at the time as ‘bigger’ than the normal model evolution. It is not right to expect yet another jump. This model is also acknowledged as a ‘gateway’ evolution.

the base an S models are the volume pieces and so depreciation follows normal curves. The GT cars benefit from rarity value. Nobody disputes that.

And whether the 992 will suffer more severe depreciation than usual remains to be seen. I think one could just as easily make the prediction that this is Porsche’s last and hardest fought rear guard action against the death of internal combustion. This generation may turn out to be more valuable. Who knows? I doubt many people buy 911 S worrying too much about depreciation curves.

Look mate. It’s clear you don’t like the car. You’ve been shouting that all over the forum but that doesn’t make it a bad car, just one you don’t like. So don’t buy it. Let it go. These cars are about fun and you don’t seem to be having any. Time to jog on.
I'm having lots of fun although I definitely appreciate your concern. Didn't you hear? Every time someone chooses a GT car - an angel gets its wings.
Old 08-15-2019 | 12:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

How many of us have actually have owned/ leased a 911? For me, the 992 will be my first. I’ve owned and enjoyed a couple of nice fast cars. BMW M3’s (e46 e92). Current M5 competition. I’ve dreamed of a 911 since I was 10 yrs old. And now I can do it. I love the rennlist forum. It’s super informative but it’s also sad reading about the 992 because so many view it as disappointing in so many different ways. I also intend to get a MT and the uncertainty around that is disappointing as well. I’m still in but kinda bummed that impressions are so negative by the time I’m actually able to execute on this. How many of us have owned/ leased one to really have a basis for the strong negative sentiments? I hope when more of us get our hands a on the car that things turn more favorable.
Keep in mind the rule of Internet forums: the greater the hyperbole the more clueless the poster.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
HankB (08-18-2019), JHesketh (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019 | 01:01 PM
PBM
Instructor

1st Porsche , Chosen carefully from a wide range of "comparable products " from competitors and very( VERY) happy. I suggest having one's own mind and don't get sucked into group thinking helps. Anyone worried about investments should get a life . Its an expensive car and a huge waste of money if one was wanting prudent value-for-money transport. Personally I didn't buy the 991.2 when I started really looking and waited for the 992 as it promised improvements I would like , and as it happens that is the way it turns out . When the next one comes out in years I will give that a fair trial and definitely wont gush on about the good old days and how the last 9xx was much better. My opinion of course.
Old 08-15-2019 | 09:03 PM
Michael Smith
Rennlist Member

Default Enjoy it....regardless of the nay sayers..

I've waited 10 years on this car, and it's my first Porsche. I honestly dont care about how awesome the 993 was, or if the 997, 991 is so much more awesome than the 992. Depreciation isnt a concern of mine beause a car isnt a financial investment to me. It's actually a toy. Nothing more. I dont want a used vehicle and I specced the car just the way i wanted. I will enjoy every mile and never wish it was something else. I will enjoy it for exactly what it is:

A brand new, 8th generation 911 built to my standards.

And that's enough for me and my family. Guess we have pretty low standards.

I just wish people would stop complaining about a car they probably wouldnt buy anyway. Becuase it detracts from the experience for some of us that are buying our first one.
The following 8 users liked this post by Michael Smith:
992carreraS (08-16-2019), G650 (08-16-2019), HankB (08-18-2019), JHesketh (08-16-2019), mallocfailure (08-16-2019), moomin (08-16-2019), PBM (08-16-2019), pelucidor (08-15-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2019 | 09:18 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Everyone needs to go through their own journey of discovery with cars, after a while and with each additional car experience, one narrows down the things that are important to them, and as one goes through that journey one's regard for what others think about their purchases diminishes, until it disappears altogether.

Here's another opinion you should disregard: Like you I have an M5C and I just sold my 2RS (one of numerous 911s I've owned) because I can't make use of the considerable additional performance of the 2RS over the M5C on public roads. They are both sub 3 sec cars and both have all the handling one would ever need in street conditions. For the track a cup car is faster than a 2RS and a whole lot safer, so as epic as the 2RS is, there was little to no incentive for me to drive it over the M5C, especially since I'm a strange person that is uncomfortable with attention and buckets. But that's my journey not yours.

If you like butterass then just go with it no matter what anyone else thinks ... but you've now been warned that you may already have a better car than the one you desire. .
Old 08-15-2019 | 09:26 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

True...and 991 values dropped like stones until the 991.2 came out with turbos at which point the values on the .1 cars firmed up.

I picked up my 991.1S as a year old CPO in perfect shape with 7k miles for 35k below the original MSRP. That was an average deal back then.

The 992, given the fact that it's priced comparatively higher, could be looking at an even steeper drop.
It seems resale value is incredibly important to you - pretty much above all other considerations as you mention it in ever other post. Is that what makes a great/fun car for you - the resale value?

Here is my opinion - I think the resale value will be fine compared to prior Carrera S models. In fact I will say that in 5 years time 997 and 991 S models will drop more than one might expect as their interiors will look archaic compared to new cars at that time and the 992 will hold up pretty well. But guess what: I don't care about resale value - it matters less to me than the colour of my seatbelts (Guards Red). I am buying my car to enjoy it, not to fret about it losing value every time I drive it. Good luck with trying to turn your 911 into some kind of investment...
Old 08-15-2019 | 09:44 PM
dichael
Instructor

Originally Posted by got2go
I am struck that this forum seems less about the car’s actual performance and more about its design, style, and changes compared to prior Porsche vehicles whether evolutionary or revolutionary.
I think a lot of this is because many americans are on this site (me included!), and since we have no direct experience with the platform it’s hard to weigh in on performance.

that said, this is a GREAT thread!
Old 08-15-2019 | 10:34 PM
chance6
Race Car

I've had the following 911s:

997.1 Carrera 6 spd
997.2 C2S 6 spd
991.1 C2S PDK
991.1 GTS PDK
991.2 Turbo
991.2 GT3

Holy crap that's a list. When I went to the 991.1, it felt like a BIG leap forward for me over the 997. The 991.2 Turbo and GT3 are magnificent.
Old 08-15-2019 | 10:51 PM
chance6
Race Car

The 992 is growing on me. It really is. That said, I'm scared about the depreciation hit. To me the Turbo and GT3 are the go-to...
Old 08-15-2019 | 11:10 PM
Bolo
Advanced

These are all great insights. In no way will I allow the opinions of a few dictate my purchase decision. I pretty much decided that I’m in when I put down my deposit in September 2018. Even if some of the criticisms aren’t far off, they won’t detract from my personal enjoyment of the the car. For example, the significant increase in technology will likely affect the experience with the car in comparison to the 997 and 991 and I can see how that could be disappointing to “purists". My 2019 M5C has waaaay too much technology for my taste. Some of it is distracting. But despite that, the car is Bada$$!

The uncertainty around the manual is also bothersome. If its coming (and soon) why wouldn’t Porsche make that clear since it is plainly an issue of high interest among its customers? Feels like they are hedging…. Annoying.
Old 08-15-2019 | 11:13 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

This will be my first Porsche of any kind and really looking forward to it. I have been a fan of the 911 for almost 40 years - since I had to walk past a Guards Red 930 Turbo every day on my way to school in London back in the 1980s. I have driven many Boxsters and Macans etc but never a 911 until last Nov when, after a major accident in my wife's Tesla, I decided that life is fleeting and I should treat myself to my dream car. I had had 6 BMWs in a row (including some M) and was initially thinking of a 'sensible' M5 Competition before deciding I wanted something that felt really special rather than just another fast sedan.

I test drove 14 different 911s - starting with used/CPO 997 and 991.1, and then onto many new 991.2 vehicles (base, C2S, 4S, cab, GTS etc). I really loved the driving experience and was on the fence between a basic 991.2 GTS and a highly optioned C2S (budget had risen from $90k when I started looking at 911s to about $140k which was the threshold of divorce as my wife didn't know about any of this). But when I saw the pictures of the 992 I immediately decided to wait for it - I much preferred the looks and especially the more modern interior. I placed an order in late Jan and a $10k deposit in early Feb and my car has been sitting at port in Rhode Island since May. This will be our 4th car in the family - along with 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio for carrying our large dog, 2018 Tesla S100D for wife, 1999 Miata for fun (and to teach my daughter how to drive a manual transmission) - but I intend to drive the 992 around 15k miles per year. If the 992 is as fun as I expect it will be then I want to use it every single day whether for 300 mile day-trips or just going for fun drives along the Delaware River. I won't be tracking this car - I did some karting and auto-crossing when I was a kid and was pretty awful - but looking forward to doing PEC-ATL in the next month or so to get a feel for what the car could really do.

Thankfully my wife loved the test-drive in a 991.2 when we put down the deposit and forgave me for ordering the car in secret (she added some safety and convenience items to my spec before it got locked). Now she wants to replace her Tesla with a Taycan next year...
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The uncertainty around the manual is also bothersome. If its coming (and soon) why wouldn’t Porsche make that clear since it is plainly an issue of high interest among its customers? Feels like they are hedging…. Annoying.
Um, says who?

The take rate of MT in the 911 is only about 20% worldwide. Probably less.

Quick Reply: How many of us have actually owned/leased a 911?