Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 S or 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Imagine if you are fortunate enough to have both 992 S and GT3 in your garage, which car will be driven more?

Many probably will end up grab the key of 992 S more often than they realize. Not because the GT3 isn’t an epic driving experience, it’s just a bit over the top for routine street driving, wife refused to ride in it because it’s too loud and there’s not much of power at lower RPM range compare to 992 S.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Imagine if you are fortunate enough to have both 992 S and GT3 in your garage, which car will be driven more?

Many probably will end up grab the key of 992 S more often than they realize. Not because the GT3 isn’t an epic driving experience, it’s just a bit over the top for routine street driving, wife refused to ride in it because it’s too loud and there’s not much of power at lower RPM range compare to 992 S.
Does this mean that the GT3 does not have much difference in lower torque and acceleration than the 992 S?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:49 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Your wife refused to "ride" in a GT3 because it's too loud? Get her some Bose noise-cancelling headphones and tell her to sit back and enjoy the flight.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,050 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Does this mean that the GT3 does not have much difference in lower torque and acceleration than the 992 S?
The 992 will have significantly more low end torque than the 991 GT3, simply due to the FI engine.

As to acceleration, if you're just talking straight line speed from a standstill, I'm pretty sure a GT3 is faster than a 992 off the line.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:03 PM
antsjey
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 992 will have significantly more low end torque than the 991 GT3, simply due to the FI engine.

As to acceleration, if you're just talking straight line speed from a standstill, I'm pretty sure a GT3 is faster than a 992 off the line.
I think a 992 4S would beat a GT3 off the line mainly due to grip. In the higher speeds and on track the GT3 would pull away for sure
Old 08-13-2019, 12:07 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's the same GT3 suspension.
Front suspension is same, but wheelbase is different and so is the weight...manual tranny, NA engine, that's why I suggested it vs. a twin turbo lesser displacement engine.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 AM
chance6
Race Car

Too loud, you say??
Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Being the owner of a GTS (PDK) and a GT3 (MT), I cannot stress to those who are trying to decide between the two to make sure you drive both before making your decision. They are very, very different driving experiences. They can both serve the same purpose - say, daily driving, canyon carving and track days - but they will do it in very different ways and one will excel in certain areas and the other in other areas. For sure, the GT3 can be a DD but, for me anyway, that car really shines at speed. Tooting around in LA traffic at 25 MPH in my Touring is far from exhilarating. For me, the GTS takes the cake when it comes to urban, stop and go traffic. But while the GTS is a 911 that can feel both sporty and sedan-y (depending on what buttons you push), the GT3 is all about being a surgical instrument. As I drive my GT3T more, I cannot understate what a magnificent piece of machinery it is, but I have no intention of driving it to work. Bottom line, buying and driving a GT3 may sound sexy but if you do not have time behind the wheel, make sure you do so before taking the plunge.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
groundhog (08-14-2019), LnC993 (08-13-2019), Sebvelez (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:13 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Being the owner of a GTS (PDK) and a GT3 (MT), I cannot stress to those who are trying to decide between the two to make sure you drive both before making your decision. They are very, very different driving experiences. They can both serve the same purpose - say, daily driving, canyon carving and track days - but they will do it in very different ways and one will excel in certain areas and the other in other areas. For sure, the GT3 can be a DD but, for me anyway, that car really shines at speed. Tooting around in LA traffic at 25 MPH in my Touring is far from exhilarating. For me, the GTS takes the cake when it comes to urban, stop and go traffic. But while the GTS is a 911 that can feel both sporty and sedan-y (depending on what buttons you push), the GT3 is all about being a surgical instrument. As I drive my GT3T more, I cannot understate what a magnificent piece of machinery it is, but I have no intention of driving it to work. Bottom line, buying and driving a GT3 may sound sexy but if you do not have time behind the wheel, make sure you do so before taking the plunge.
I drive my GT3 to work about 1/2 the time...and simply love doing so! The GT3 handles roads fairly well and gives off a SPORTY MUSK- ha ha
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

wife refused to ride in it because it’s too loud and there’s not much of power at lower RPM range compare to 992 S.
sounds like another reason to buy the GT3!
destaccado (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Yes but if this is a true daily driver application, that GT3 will take a harder value hit. Depreciation is more based on miles than years.

Not trying to harp on value discussions but driving one of these cars sounds great on paper until you are the guy selling a 7 or 8 year old GT car with 75K miles in a marketplace of 5K to 10K mile cars that are fresh as daisies.

End of the day, if you are putting mileage on the car I don't think it matters whether it is a 992 or a GT3. All the same.
Wrong. A low mile 992 is still going to drop like a stone, just like every other one of the base model Carrera-derivatives beginning with the 996. I got a 35k discount from MSRP on my 1 year old 991.1 S with 7k miles at a dealer and it was CPO. Good luck finding the equivalent for that in a GT3 other than maybe a 2014 in 2015 right after the engine issue. The 992, arguably the most overpriced 911 ever, will probably depreciate even worse than my 991 did.

Mile for mile the GT3 is definitely cheaper until you factor in possible ADMs where the math might get fuzzier. That's historical fact but how long that stays true - who knows.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:28 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

I disagree. As a daily driver they aren't "very, very different."

Very, very different is when I go from my GT3 to my G-wagon. Having driven my GT3 back to back with the a 991.1 S, 991.2 Carrera T, and with a 992, the similarities are immediately apparent. I wouldn't drive a 992 in any more situations than I'd drive a 991.2 GT3. To be frank - they're both ****ty cars for leaving unattended in other people's parking lots, driving on ****ty roads or up and down steep inclines and the idea that the regular versions are significantly more comfortable than the GT3 doesn't make sense to me. The suspension on the 991.2 GT3 is pretty damn cush compared to every GT car before it and it's got Apple Carplay and Bose - it's not a CUP. The only reasonable argument I could see being made is about the entry & exit with the lightweight buckets but that's an option and your argument seems to be more of a PDK vs manual debate if you're focused on LA traffic at 25mph. For everyone not stuck in that, buy a pair of used seats from a 991 for a couple grand and put them in if you need to daily drive it and don't like sliding into the buckets.

I might drive a 992 more than a 991.2 GT3 simply because the 992 would be a throwaway appliance that I'd be losing my shirt on anyways (which was exactly the case with my 991.1) whereas the GT3 I actually care about and want to keep nice for a long time.

If one car is a "magnificent piece of machinery" and it costs about the same price...I think the answer is apparent which one to purchase.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Destaccado - Like I said, the people should drive both cars and see for themselves. We clearly have a difference of opinion on the difference in the drive between the two cars. I find the difference quite stark. For you, not so much. For everyone else, who knows? And for as magnificent as the GT3T is, I am not sure I would keep that over my 991.1 GTS cab if I had to choose between one or the other. So, the one to buy is not that cut and dry. Different strokes for different folks.
destaccado (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 PM
chance6
Race Car

Destaccado - Like I said, the people should drive both cars and see for themselves. We clearly have a difference of opinion on the difference in the drive between the two cars. I find the difference quite stark. For you, not so much. For everyone else, who knows? And for as magnificent as the GT3T is, I am not sure I would keep that over my 991.1 GTS cab if I had to choose between one or the other. So, the one to buy is not that cut and dry. Different strokes for different folks.
IMO a 991.2 GT3, being lower to the ground, feels more connected to the road but it's a trade off- you feel more road imperfections, so actually on rougher roads a Cayenne Turbo or 911 TT would eat it alive. On a track, not so much.

The 991.1 GTS I had was moderately stiff and a good all-rounder, but still RWD and not showing up during winters.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 PM
chance6
Race Car

I've found I really enjoy driving the GT3 on the highway, where the faster you go, the more exciting it becomes. That said, driving it around town is fun too...knowing that the 9000 rpm is there...

Quick Reply: 992 S or 991.2 GT3