Sponsored by:

1865 miles the magic number?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:24 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottoworry
I’m curious about this too. So many different things you hear. My SA said you don’t need a break in period. A different SA said the ECU automatically limits the car appropriately so you don’t have to worry about it. When I went to a track day where they brought some new cars I asked and they said they just make sure they get a few hundred miles an the cars before track events. One interesting thing a dealer told me was that they have seen cars that had terminal engine damage due to the owners changing the oil too early and too frequently. I guess they need a little bit of grit in the oil to properly seat the piston rings. I’ll probably just stick to what the owners manual says.....
That doesn't really make sense to me..........anyone else?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

There are a more important variables that play to long engine life than a few revs when the thing is new. Oil should always be up to temp, and should be changed regularly. Over-revs are to be avoided, largely covered on an auto / PDK of course but relevant if you own or are buying a second hand manual. In a manual, how you shift and how you treat the clutch.

Last new 911 I had was on the track a few hundred km's old, the dealer knew and was fine with it. Their only request re. warranty was no sticky tires.

My comment "1 lap, then go for it" was a literal quote from our very experienced race engine builder in the 80's and 90's. We built and ran a number of engines using that ethos with no issues; his only requests were some load to bed the rings, oil temp., and any drive belts checked for tension after that first run.

But hey, if you feel better following a break-in process then by all means go for it. Your money, your choice.

Quick Reply: 1865 miles the magic number?