Sponsored by:

New owner review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Prisma
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miglio
Have you tried coasting / sailing mode in 992?

So when you leave the gas pedal the rpm goes down like in N ?

This should be the coasting mode and it's very good for consumption, but in 992 seems to be NOT WORKS..
I haven’t tried - will give it a shot today.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:28 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Prisma
Its a good question and I don’t know if there’s a right answer. I will give my thoughts, but other more experienced owners may offer better advice.

I haven’t had to use FAL yet, and I haven’t scraped the front either. There’s one multi-storey car park near me where I will definitely use/need it. The thing is I know I have it so it kind of gives me confidence to venture into different roads, villages and so on. I think that if I had SPASM and no FAL I’d be even more cautious taking new routes. And I don’t think I want to be worrying too much about what I may encounter up the road - I’d rather be enjoying the drive & the car.
I wasn't able to find any road clearance figures to help make a decision. I'm coming from an F10 M5 and I keep wondering if SPASM would lower the car further than the M5 stock height.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Prisma
Track Day

Have you tried coasting / sailing mode in 992?

So when you leave the gas pedal the rpm goes down like in N ?

This should be the coasting mode and it's very good for consumption, but in 992 seems to be NOT WORKS..
I tried coasting and works fine.
While driving in D Mode, pull both paddles simultaneously & release them. Gear in display starts flashing and car is now coasting. RPMs drop to about 900 I think.
Pull either paddle to re-engage gear.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM
miglio
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried coasting and works fine.
While driving in D Mode, pull both paddles simultaneously & release them. Gear in display starts flashing and car is now coasting. RPMs drop to about 900 I think.
Pull either paddle to re-engage gear.
Yes, pulling the paddles works fine also mine, but the coasting must work also automatically when we release the gas pedal without any engaged manually.

Have you try to do that coasting mode automatically by your 992?
Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM
beastbay
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Turbo Lag?

In stop and go driving, around town?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:33 PM
Prisma
Track Day

Yes, pulling the paddles works fine also mine, but the coasting must work also automatically when we release the gas pedal without any engaged manually.

Have you try to do that coasting mode automatically by your 992?
If I release the gas while driving, it remains in gear and engine braking takes over - so it does not coast.
I think it makes sense and I do use the engine braking quite often unless someone is close behind. Now I know how to coast I will use that too when appropriate.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:59 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review - thanks!

One question: Do you have Apple CarPlay and is it wireless?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Prisma
Track Day

Originally Posted by beastbay
In stop and go driving, around town?
I have not noticed any delay or lag when moving off or darting around. I have not been over 4000rpm yet and the car is plenty fast enough already. Awesome traction.
Motorway driving is also very responsive; changing speed to overtake is pretty much immediate. Again, I’m driving quite gently; I’m not even taking advantage of kick-down yet for example.
i’m sure there is some small amount of lag, but I have not consciously perceived it.

Another few hundred miles then I will see what she can really do. She is fast and agile now, so I’m quite excited to see her in her full glory...and then there’s launch control to try 🤤

PS: I always drive in Sport, due to the sound. In Sport Mode the car always hovers around 2000rpm which may help reduce any lag. Maybe Normal Mode has a bit of lag...?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Prisma
Track Day

Originally Posted by vman4639
Great review - thanks!

One question: Do you have Apple CarPlay and is it wireless?
Apple CarPlay works only wired for me. In wireless/Bluetooth I only get audio out.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Apple CarPlay works only wired for me. In wireless/Bluetooth I only get audio out.
Strange. My dealer just came back from a trip where he tested all the models. He claimed he had CarPlay working wirelessly. He said it takes a couple steps in order to set up.

Maybe because I am in the US? Maybe different between countries?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Tire "roar" and a droning PSE killed it for me in the last 911 (991.2) I had. I'm hoping the cabin in the 992 is quieter on worn concrete roads than the last generation was. I have no chance of test driving a new 992 without PSE though, my dealer eequips every car they bring in with that option. I just want the car to go about its business quietly, but I must be the lone soul who likes his car that way.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:50 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Tire "roar" and a droning PSE killed it for me in the last 911 (991.2) I had. I'm hoping the cabin in the 992 is quieter on worn concrete roads than the last generation was. I have no chance of test driving a new 992 without PSE though, my dealer eequips every car they bring in with that option. I just want the car to go about its business quietly, but I must be the lone soul who likes his car that way.
If I'm not mistaken, PSE is something turned on/off, and PSE Off is basically the same as non-PSE cars....
Old 07-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Having now experienced the 992 for 3 months I personally love the car .
However TYRE ROAR is a major issue for me as the roads around here are unforgiving.
It is a shame as the car is a major improvement over my previous 991 GTS .
Could this be due to the 21” rears ?
Hope Porsche can correct this problem for future models .
Old 07-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdqt458
However TYRE ROAR is a major issue for me as the roads around here are unforgiving.
Since tires change based on region and even year, it would be great to know which specific tires you're talking about. From the spelling I'm guessing UK?
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (08-17-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes - - Stock Goodyear Eagle F1 21”
Have a friend with Pirelli P Zeros 21” on his 992 — same problem.
All my previous 911’s have experienced some Tire Roar but this seems excessive— again I ask could this be caused by 21”.

Quick Reply: New owner review