Sponsored by:

Faux particulate filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Faux particulate filter

The 992s come with particulate filters in Europe, but the American versions will not have them. However, to avoid retuning the American engines, our cars will apparently be fitted with a device that duplicates the exhaust restriction of the particulate filter. I don't know how this device will be plumbed in the exhaust system, but by replacing this plug with a straight pipe, I suspect there will be an additional 10-20 hp to be unlocked.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:52 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

This isn’t too likely. Calibrations for the US and our OBD requirements are fairly different than the EU calibration. At lower back pressure the turbo will spoil up more quickly and if the same boost pressure was used make slightly more power. My bet is that Porsche will maintain a constant torque command between the versions so there is no need for extra parts or recalibrating the PDK transmission.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
This isn’t too likely. Calibrations for the US and our OBD requirements are fairly different than the EU calibration. At lower back pressure the turbo will spoil up more quickly and if the same boost pressure was used make slightly more power. My bet is that Porsche will maintain a constant torque command between the versions so there is no need for extra parts or recalibrating the PDK transmission.
There has to be a fair amount of commonality.
Why else would they install the cork in the US exhaust?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:21 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

They might have a pass by noise issue with a tube in place of the GPF, but that would surprise me with how the laws work here. I would expect they might have a pass through resonator in place to eliminate an exhaust moan. Those have near zero restriction.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:40 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
They might have a pass by noise issue with a tube in place of the GPF, but that would surprise me with how the laws work here. I would expect they might have a pass through resonator in place to eliminate an exhaust moan. Those have near zero restriction.
It s a backpressure issue
Old 07-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

My professional experience has shown that added back pressure on a turbo engine is never a good thing when you have calibration options at hand as an OEM. It might make it slightly harder for aftermarket tuners, but a Porsche owner would just pay to remove the artificial restriction.

We we will see what was really done once we have US spec cars. Any way we cut it the cars will be fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Faux particulate filter