Sponsored by:

Need advice with 992 GT3 purchase strategy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I will say PoTML are straight shooters (pun intended with your name) and I have no experience with NOLA. I also suspect Fresno and Sonnen will tell you that you are too far down the list to get an allocation (locals and repeat etc.), but it does not hurt to ask. What do the agreements say? Do they guarantee an allocation and at Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (not market price)? Read the fine print on the back. I can almost assure having read a bunch of the order forms that you that you don’t have a binding contract that guarantees that unless it is added to the front. Also, dealers often don’t cash deposit checks. We can debate why, but one reason is if they don’t they can argue the contract is not binding. Next time bring cash and ask for a receipt. If it were me, I would leave them both out there, see who comes through, and worst case you lose a deposit when you cancel one (check state laws on whether deposits are refundable). As far as Nola and the hedge fund guy, if he bought a 918 new, he’s a VIP and that’s why he got the speedster allocation. It’s his, not the dealer’s.
I do have a signed agreement but it is just a buyers order. They don't have a MSRP yet of course so they put in a high dollar figure on the order and gave me a receipt for my deposit. The deposit is refundable and only gets me on the list. There is no guarantee that I will even get an allocation.

I also noticed that Porsche NOLA just cashed my deposit check so all things are now good on their end. I was told I am first on their list. (Crossing fingers)

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Try deposit with Champion Autosport?
Ha ha ha......funny. I heard they found and arrested him though.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I wouldn't want MSRP in writing.
There's a good chance you may be able to get the 992 generation GT cars below MSRP.
Why foreclose the possibility.
Haven't considered that as an option. I'd be very happy to get MSRP w/ED. That seems like a good deal on a new GT car to me.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:03 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Try deposit with Champion Autosport?
LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 04:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I wouldn't want MSRP in writing.

There's a good chance you may be able to get the 992 generation GT cars below MSRP.

Why foreclose the possibility.
Okay...MSRP or LESS.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

This should be moved to the 992 forum.....As time goes on this forum will get clogged with 992 speculation.....and all everything is right now is pure speculation.....IMO any dealer taking deposit on a non existent car should be avoided....
Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

There will likely be even more 992s than 991 GT cars. The hype will have also burned out from over production and over exposure. Wouldn’t think any strategy beyond writing a check will be necessary.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

The car is 2 years away and the madness has already started.

In the meanwhile, tons of 3RS, 2RS, GT3, Tourings- all for sale, all waiting to be driven along with Mclaren, Lambos, Ferraris and others.

Just makes no sense to me.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
The car is 2 years away and the madness has already started.

In the meanwhile, tons of 3RS, 2RS, GT3, Tourings- all for sale, all waiting to be driven along with Mclaren, Lambos, Ferraris and others.

Just makes no sense to me.
Crazy man .....this is what makes dealers lick their chops chum in the water
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (01-31-2020)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Crazy man .....this is what makes dealers lick their chops chum in the water
and the dealers will screw you every chance they get. How many stories (in addition to the Champion debacle) have been posted where deposits were not honored, people were passed up, the deal was changed.
Again- makes no sense to me but what the hell do I know.

Even if its a small deposit, tie up 2-5k up for years not knowing if a car is coming??

There are so many amazing cars out there right now. Buy one drive it. if and when the new 992 GT cars come, the dealerships will be littered with them just like they are littered with current ones.

Anyone seen prices on the .2 RS? The supposed impossible to get and people asking 30-50 over sticker and now they are barely at MSRP a few months later.

The economy is great and it may remain great, but its not going to get better- it will be worse. And when there is blood in the streets- I want to be on the sidelines with cash in hand ready to make a deal- not have my money tied up with a bunch of deposits at dealerships.
JAhmed (01-31-2020)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
and the dealers will screw you every chance they get. How many stories (in addition to the Champion debacle) have been posted where deposits were not honored, people were passed up, the deal was changed.
Again- makes no sense to me but what the hell do I know.

Even if its a small deposit, tie up 2-5k up for years not knowing if a car is coming??

There are so many amazing cars out there right now. Buy one drive it. if and when the new 992 GT cars come, the dealerships will be littered with them just like they are littered with current ones.

Anyone seen prices on the .2 RS? The supposed impossible to get and people asking 30-50 over sticker and now they are barely at MSRP a few months later.

The economy is great and it may remain great, but its not going to get better- it will be worse. And when there is blood in the streets- I want to be on the sidelines with cash in hand ready to make a deal- not have my money tied up with a bunch of deposits at dealerships.
Got a call from a east coast dealer for a GT2RS MSRP. Full garage I’m good watching the show.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Got a call from a east coast dealer for a GT2RS MSRP. Full garage I’m good watching the show.
2rs have been Msrp for a while. My buddy got one a month or so ago at slightly below Msrp.

This is the same car brokers were hounding me about a year ago trying to get me to pay 175k over. It’s gonna be a million dollar car!

500k for a 2 rs. Nuts. You have any idea how many cars I could
buy for 500k???
Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I’m thinking that Porsche/VW/Audi wants and need their cash cow so bad that they will actually kick the 992 GT3 out the door early 2020 and the RS late 2020 and milk it for 4 years.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You're trying to come up with a strategy to spend a reasonably large sum of money on a car that doesn't exist. Ask yourself it that's something really worth your energy.

I've decided to move on from the Porsche buying game from the time being and just focus energy elsewhere. Not worth the effort/cost/time to me anymore and PCNA need dealers to move more non-GT product than ever and offer GT allocations as rewards for taking skinny dealership margins by heavily discounting cars.

The market will change again and it's a great time to be selling cars at the moment, not buying.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would not bet against the economy but I do agree i think they will be easier to get but because of over saturation in the market place the last few years and there will not be enough of a differentiator to drive many with the .2 to jump to the 992. I for one have no interest in the 992. I am sure it will be slightly better but 25 hp and a new color is not going to drive me to do it.
Well said.
Enough of the cold shoulder by local Porsche dealers, I'm quite happy with what I have now and getting r*ped by dealers on new cars is never is fun

Originally Posted by NateOZ
You're trying to come up with a strategy to spend a reasonably large sum of money on a car that doesn't exist. Ask yourself it that's something really worth your energy.

I've decided to move on from the Porsche buying game from the time being and just focus energy elsewhere. Not worth the effort/cost/time to me anymore and PCNA need dealers to move more non-GT product than ever and offer GT allocations as rewards for taking skinny dealership margins by heavily discounting cars.
The market will change again and it's a great time to be selling cars at the moment, not buying.
I'm with you.
After 4 latest GT cars from Porsche, no more until they learn some customer service
Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s like a heroin junkie, what you have is never enough.
Perimeter (01-31-2020)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^ Hey Steve did you go to Pike School ?

Last edited by R.Deacon; 06-13-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Need advice with 992 GT3 purchase strategy