Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift & Handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Oss
AutoX

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol I'm a Porsche noob, have been driving the wife's c series estate for the past 10 years, so my reference point is pretty useless!
Old 06-18-2019, 03:20 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That's the best thing to be! This will be my first as well so hopefully asking all the right questions.

What I meant was, do you feel like it's stiff or less comfortable than you expected? Just wondering about your expectations and if the car meets or exceeds them.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Oss
AutoX

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's put it this way.... Never have I been tempted to drive the car below because the one above is less comfortable
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (11-15-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:57 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Oss
Let's put it this way.... Never have I been tempted to drive the car below because the one above is less comfortable
👍🏼 'nuff said!
Old 04-11-2021, 04:03 PM
moebiusone
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, i got the lift system on my 991, mind you its a gt3 but its a must, I also use it on my taycan.
Even for just getting in and out the garage I use it and on these speed bumps all over the place also.
I also spec it on my new 992 also.
Enjoy your car.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:38 PM
LandLawMan
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 992 FAL - nasty WHACK @ rebound

Originally Posted by Prisma
Hi, I ordered a 992 and super excited about it. I am now needing to finalise my options in the next few weeks, and I am trying to decide on Front Axle Lift.

I am pretty sure I will use it in some of the roads I drive down, but the big question for me, is if there is any impact to the handling of the car if FAL is installed?

I very rarely have to use the front lift system in my 992. Fairfax County, Va roads are pretty good. But I tried it the other day. I went over a speed bump with the axle raised. I was going slowly — as slowly as I would have gone, had the front not been raised. I noticed that the rebound was hard as hell. And I wasn’t going fast. I mean....I wasn’t CRAWLING. But certainly not what you would call ‘too quickly.’

Later, I went over that same speed bump (it’s at my kid’s school). Same speed, but without the lift. NO ISSUES and NO HARSH REBOUND. So, I have to say that using the lift, adds a very frighteningly hard WHACK after going over the bump. It’s a bit disconcerting.

Bottom line: You said you would use FAL while driving “...in some of the roads I drive down...” I wouldn’t leave it in the up position for ANY distance at all. In other words, once cleared of the bump, I would drop it like it’s hot. (My lame 15-year-old Snoop Dogg reference.)
detansinn (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 05:49 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by LandLawMan
I very rarely have to use the front lift system in my 992. Fairfax County, Va roads are pretty good. But I tried it the other day. I went over a speed bump with the axle raised. I was going slowly — as slowly as I would have gone, had the front not been raised. I noticed that the rebound was hard as hell. And I wasn’t going fast. I mean....I wasn’t CRAWLING. But certainly not what you would call ‘too quickly.’

Later, I went over that same speed bump (it’s at my kid’s school). Same speed, but without the lift. NO ISSUES and NO HARSH REBOUND. So, I have to say that using the lift, adds a very frighteningly hard WHACK after going over the bump. It’s a bit disconcerting.

Bottom line: You said you would use FAL while driving “...in some of the roads I drive down...” I wouldn’t leave it in the up position for ANY distance at all. In other words, once cleared of the bump, I would drop it like it’s hot. (My lame 15-year-old Snoop Dogg reference.)
Good to know! Personally I’m more interested in greater confidence navigating inclines that would otherwise be impossible without scraping (many parking lot/garage ramps I have to use fit this category), versus driving over speed bumps more quickly than I otherwise would. In any case, glad to know that the front suspension may give up compliance when FAL is engaged.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:10 AM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LandLawMan

I'm actually considering FAL partly due to being able to drive over speed bumps at greater speeds.
What is the mechanical explanation on why the rebound is harder with the front axle raised?
Does it still protects the car more effectively despite the harder rebound?

Also, could you repeat this experiment a few times to be more certain that the FAL really results a harder rebound?
Thanks!

Last edited by riwu; 04-12-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:57 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu
I'm actually considering FAL partly due to being able to drive over speed bumps at greater speeds.
What is the mechanical explanation on why the rebound is harder with the front axle raised?

Also, could you repeat this experiment a few times to be more certain that the FAL really results a harder rebound?
Thanks!
This would be a weird reason.

As FAL automatically lowers itself around 25 mph.

More importantly, why would you want to do that? Are you always in that much of a hurry? Maybe leave earlier?
Stevelev (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:09 AM
riwu
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This would be a weird reason.

As FAL automatically lowers itself around 25 mph.

More importantly, why would you want to do that? Are you always in that much of a hurry? Maybe leave earlier?
But it means I could perhaps approach bumps at 15-20mph instead of 5-10mph?

I value my time as I can generate money/happiness with it, so every second saved is a win.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:12 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by riwu
FAL works by raising the spring perch by 40mm. When it raises the spring perch, the top part of the suspension that holds the top of the shock pulls the shock piston upwards by 40mm thereby removing 40mm of rebound or upward shock travel (think about when you see your car raised on a lift and the suspension is fully unloaded and there is a giant gap btw the fender and the tire - the shock is at max extension).

You don’t want to ram through large bumps at high speed with the FAL fully raised. It will have no problem dealing with the compression of the suspension when you hit the bump. However on the rebound stroke, it is probably not a good thing because the suspension is close to topped out so it has very little upward travel left.

As for how fast you should be hitting the speed bumps with FAL extended, that would really depend on how big and sharp the speed bump is. However, I’m sure it would be fine going over most speed bumps at 15-25 mph. I just wouldn’t ram through them at say 30-40 mph.
Marantz2270 (04-12-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 08:30 PM
LandLawMan
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
FAL works by raising the spring perch by 40mm. When it raises the spring perch, the top part of the suspension that holds the top of the shock pulls the shock piston upwards by 40mm thereby removing 40mm of rebound or upward shock travel (think about when you see your car raised on a lift and the suspension is fully unloaded and there is a giant gap btw the fender and the tire - the shock is at max extension).

You don’t want to ram through large bumps at high speed with the FAL fully raised. It will have no problem dealing with the compression of the suspension when you hit the bump. However on the rebound stroke, it is probably not a good thing because the suspension is close to topped out so it has very little upward travel left.

As for how fast you should be hitting the speed bumps with FAL extended, that would really depend on how big and sharp the speed bump is. However, I’m sure it would be fine going over most speed bumps at 15-25 mph. I just wouldn’t ram through them at say 30-40 mph.
This perfectly explains in technical terms, what I was trying to describe in my completely non-technical way. Thank you. Now I understand why I was experiencing what I was experiencing. Good stuff.

And you’re right: The FAL lowers itself at speeds in excess of [I think it’s] 35 mph.

‘I have found the ‘memory” setting for the FAL to be a blessing, and a curse. Every morning, I drive by the entrance to my grocery store. If I take that entrance, I definitely need the FAL. But when I cruise on by at 25mph (the speed limit on my little side road), the damned FAL lifts without my turning in to the store. So I end up driving for a mile with the axle pointlessly lifted. No harm, no foul. But still....irritating. I guess if it limited itself to a smaller geographic range before it deploys, wel, it would be too late to be of assistance in many cases.
AlterZgo (05-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift & Handling