Sponsored by:

991 vs. 992 | TOTAL 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
I like the 992 interior more than the 991 (minus the PDK shifter) but the rear of the 992 is disastrous in my opinion. 991’s rear end is miles better looking.
I agree with you on the 992 rear, and it was the first thing I noticed during the release. It has grown a bit on me over time, but still does not look good from all angles.

IMO the 992 front, particularly with SD, is better looking though than the 991 front (not that the 991 front looks bad). 992 front looks great from all angles, just like 991.2 rear looks great from all angles.

Also, IMO I think the 992 interior is largely worse. Yes, having bigger screens is generally better, but not being able to see all the gauges, the lower horizontal portion of the dash, which serves no purpose, contrasted with the vertical piano black part, the nubbin, and the big cup holder (now no cup holder and just a hole) would probably bother me more over time.

Now, there are other sport car options, but none are as reliable as a 911, especially for those who daily drive theirs, and there are not really many choices in the 120-170K price point if you want a new car. Maybe R8. You have to go up to 225K+ for a new McLaren, Ferrari (no the California does not count&#128516, or Lamborghini. And some of those options are a bit too “look at me.”

So shortly after the 992 was released, I ordered a 991.2 with all the options I like. That said, I do like the 992 and some of the issues I see will probably be fixed. For those who like the 992 design, happy for you and Congratulations on new cars!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:47 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,107 Likes on 454 Posts

My biggest concern with 992 is how that interior feels. I recently swapped out my wifes 2017 Cayenne for a new 2019. Drives great, new tech is fantastic...but the interior feels so cheap its actually quite shocking. it is woefully inadequate, feels like a rental car. its so lousy I am already considering dumping it - it is truly that awful. If the 992 interior moves in that direction as well, then it will be a tough pill to swallow, no matter how well it drives.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
I agree with you on the 992 rear, and it was the first thing I noticed during the release. It has grown a bit on me over time, but still does not look good from all angles.

IMO the 992 front, particularly with SD, is better looking though than the 991 front (not that the 991 front looks bad). 992 front looks great from all angles, just like 991.2 rear looks great from all angles.

Also, IMO I think the 992 interior is largely worse. Yes, having bigger screens is generally better, but not being able to see all the gauges, the lower horizontal portion of the dash, which serves no purpose, contrasted with the vertical piano black part, the nubbin, and the big cup holder (now no cup holder and just a hole) would probably bother me more over time.

Now, there are other sport car options, but none are as reliable as a 911, especially for those who daily drive theirs, and there are not really many choices in the 120-170K price point if you want a new car. Maybe R8. You have to go up to 225K+ for a new McLaren, Ferrari (no the California does not count&#128516, or Lamborghini. And some of those options are a bit too “look at me.”

So shortly after the 992 was released, I ordered a 991.2 with all the options I like. That said, I do like the 992 and some of the issues I see will probably be fixed. For those who like the 992 design, happy for you and Congratulations on new cars!
I haven’t seen a 992 in person yet (been deployed) but from the photos, the bumper seems much larger than the 991 bumper (reminds me of American muscle car design cues, such as the challenger, camaro, etc). Agree with you on the interior also. The new features and options will be nice, but they did drop the ball in the areas you mentioned. I’m also hoping they’ll be fixed in the 992.2.

I decided to to order a TTS now for that reason. The new TTS might look nicer, but it’s a while from now, no discounts to be had (I received 8% off), and might share some design cues from the base 992 (exterior).

I also try to avoid attracting attention and being conspicuous, which is the main reason I didn’t go for a Ferrari or Lamborghini or etc. I just wanted a quintessential daily driver’s car that I can appreciate for myself without being harassed.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:07 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 418 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 05-30-2019, 03:15 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

All this arguing about which looks better and I bet the average person looking at a 991 vs a 992 wouldn't even notice the difference. They're both just a couple of PORSH cars.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:18 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 799 Posts

Door handles seems like a swing and a miss. What in the world was the point of that?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
I haven’t seen a 992 in person yet (been deployed) but from the photos, the bumper seems much larger than the 991 bumper (reminds me of American muscle car design cues, such as the challenger, camaro, etc). Agree with you on the interior also. The new features and options will be nice, but they did drop the ball in the areas you mentioned. I’m also hoping they’ll be fixed in the 992.2.

I decided to to order a TTS now for that reason. The new TTS might look nicer, but it’s a while from now, no discounts to be had (I received 8% off), and might share some design cues from the base 992 (exterior).

I also try to avoid attracting attention and being conspicuous, which is the main reason I didn’t go for a Ferrari or Lamborghini or etc. I just wanted a quintessential daily driver’s car that I can appreciate for myself without being harassed.
That sounds like a very good decision based on your criteria. Enjoy your TTS!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:47 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Door handles seems like a swing and a miss. What in the world was the point of that?

The point of the pop out door handles is to signify just how far the 911 has strayed from the "form follows function" sports car that many of us fell in love with decades ago.

What remains of that sports car is now hidden beneath so many layers of pointless tech, gimmicks and over complexity that I'm left wondering if it's there at all.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:40 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
The point of the pop out door handles is to signify just how far the 911 has strayed from the "form follows function" sports car that many of us fell in love with decades ago.

What remains of that sports car is now hidden beneath so many layers of pointless tech, gimmicks and over complexity that I'm left wondering if it's there at all.
I thought it was for aerodynamics to slightly aid performance and fuel economy but I stand corrected.

It is interesting that over 50 years of huge changes (introduction of 4WD, auto transmissions, water-cooled engines, increases in size and weight, ever-increasing safety systems, cup holders, electric steering, turbo-engines everywhere, neutered engine sound, novelty gear-nub, upcoming battery assist etc) - that were all introduced for no other reason than to annoy the pure and faithful fans - that the final nail in the coffin for Porsche would be the heinous flush door handles. This is a clear indication that Porsche designers, engineers, and management are truly incompetent, and worse they have no soul.

As a one-time mechanical engineer who should appreciate such things I will be canceling my 992 order forthwith and finding myself an original Citroen 2CV or perhaps a Trabant where form truly followed function.

I am kidding of course (apologies limegreen) but I have to say I am grateful to be a "glass is half-full" kind of person (my avatar says it all). I know the 992 isn't perfect but I expect to get tremendous enjoyment out of it. And if I don't I will sell it and get something else - life is pretty good if these are the kinds of things we have to worry about...
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (01-04-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:23 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
I thought it was for aerodynamics to slightly aid performance and fuel economy but I stand corrected.

It is interesting that over 50 years of huge changes (introduction of 4WD, auto transmissions, water-cooled engines, increases in size and weight, ever-increasing safety systems, cup holders, electric steering, turbo-engines everywhere, neutered engine sound, novelty gear-nub, upcoming battery assist etc) - that were all introduced for no other reason than to annoy the pure and faithful fans - that the final nail in the coffin for Porsche would be the heinous flush door handles. This is a clear indication that Porsche designers, engineers, and management are truly incompetent, and worse they have no soul.

As a one-time mechanical engineer who should appreciate such things I will be canceling my 992 order forthwith and finding myself an original Citroen 2CV or perhaps a Trabant where form truly followed function.

I am kidding of course (apologies limegreen) but I have to say I am grateful to be a "glass is half-full" kind of person (my avatar says it all). I know the 992 isn't perfect but I expect to get tremendous enjoyment out of it. And if I don't I will sell it and get something else - life is pretty good if these are the kinds of things we have to worry about...
You're joking kind of, and I'm aware but honestly, if it makes ingress even that hair more annoying, it's actually a pretty big deal for a car that's supposed to be used every day (or often). I've not been around a car that has a system like that (mainly velar) that works remotely well enough to justify it's existence. If Porsche really got it perfect, then cool...but I'm doubting it. Its, all jokes aside, one reason I actually went with another 19c4s before they change to the 992...
Old 06-01-2019, 12:20 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
You're joking kind of, and I'm aware but honestly, if it makes ingress even that hair more annoying, it's actually a pretty big deal for a car that's supposed to be used every day (or often). I've not been around a car that has a system like that (mainly velar) that works remotely well enough to justify it's existence. If Porsche really got it perfect, then cool...but I'm doubting it. Its, all jokes aside, one reason I actually went with another 19c4s before they change to the 992...
My wife has a Tesla Model S (actually on our 2nd one) and we drive over 20,000 miles per year with it. It has pop out door handles (for aerodynamics) and they work extremely well. I expect to drive the 992 about 15,000 miles per year and I have no concerns over the door handles - I doubt they will be as clever as the ones on the Tesla (we never need to lock/unlock them) but I am sure they will work fine.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
My wife has a Tesla Model S (actually on our 2nd one) and we drive over 20,000 miles per year with it. It has pop out door handles (for aerodynamics) and they work extremely well. I expect to drive the 992 about 15,000 miles per year and I have no concerns over the door handles - I doubt they will be as clever as the ones on the Tesla (we never need to lock/unlock them) but I am sure they will work fine.
From the 992 reviews, my impression is that the door handles are buggy, don't always pop out when you need, etc. I haven't heard the same about Tesla's, though apparently QC in general is rather terrible, so maybe the door handle issues are just drowned out by the noise from everything else.

EDIT: googling reveals pages upon pages of issues w Tesla door handles. I like tech, even if it's just for show, but I'm not willing to compromise reliability on a door handle.

Serious question for engineers here, do those door handles actually make a measurable difference to aerodynamics? I'm skeptical but would like to be convinced.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:15 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

There probably is a measurable difference which practically probably isn't significant.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight26
There probably is a measurable difference which practically probably isn't significant.
Are you describing the pop out door handles or the entire 992 itself? Either way that response is perfectly accurate

What's most perplexing about this whole door handle thing is that the car was made longer, wider, taller for seemingly no practical reason, the width and height both directly and negatively impact the drag coefficient. So basically more complexity was added to counteract unnecessary changes made which in my mind perfectly summarizes the 992 as a whole.

Quick Reply: 991 vs. 992 | TOTAL 911