Sponsored by:

My USA-bound 992 has been built and has a VIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:02 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts
Default My USA-bound 992 has been built and has a VIN

People in Europe are already driving their new 992 vehicles but in the USA we are still many months away from the first deliveries (July likely).

For those that follow the V-Codes here is my timeline:
V070 12-Feb Order Demand Release for Order (got commission number)
V200 7-Mar Delivery Date Determined (order freeze date)
V250 19-Mar Vehicle Fixed (locked by Porsche)
V260 29-Mar Vehicle Entry to Body Shop (CP 0.0)
V270 4-Apr Vehicle Exit Production (CP 7.8) - typically a week to build the car
V300 4-Apr Vehicle Completion (CP 8.0) - VIN ALLOCATED: WP0AB2A....
V331 TBD Entry to Port Emden (670km from Stuttgart factory) - probably 8-Apr
Next steps are shipping from Emden to Port Davisville in Rhode Island (takes 13 days - a few days more to Jacksonville FL) and then sitting at Davisville for PDI and CAFE/EPA certifications (1-2 months potentially)

Some pics of my build (prefer look of quad exhaust pipes vs Sports Exhaust ovals - will have them ceramic coated black to match my Red/Black color scheme) - this will be a15k miles per year daily driver:

Also an interesting tidbit of info: launch event in Salt Lake City for dealerships and SAs will be on 20-June so hopefully we can expect to see cars in showrooms in July.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Surprised you neglected the sports exhaust (Edit: just read you like the look of the quad) - otherwise looks a lot like the one I want (with glass sunroof too).
Enjoy!

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 04-05-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:51 PM
JPT99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the quad exhausts. I definitely prefer the look and I’m not sure how significantly better the sound is.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:12 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Beautiful car! Well done! The current On-Sale date of the 992 is mid-August of 2019. I would set your expectations there. Cars will not be released to dealers until that on-sale date is amended or reached. Perhaps a dealer rep will have one to show-off, or a launch party may warrant a car being available to view sooner.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:56 PM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 71 Posts

I would consider the omission of the sports exhaust very carefully. I tried driving with mine off on my 991.2 and can confirm that you here it most at low-speeds below 4k RPM. above that they sound the same but the subtle difference in extra 'grunt' is worth it IMO. You need to balance looks vs sound. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:18 PM
ThePhanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats! And shout out to Bucks County (I grew up in MontCo)!
Old 04-05-2019, 05:14 PM
cjwal
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think our cars will share the same boat. Mine was completed on 4.4.19 as well. Although mine has to ride a bit longer to hit the port in Houston. Fingers crossed on quicker epa certs, but I doubt it. Mine shows dealer delivery of 5.24 but has a placeholder date still for 7.12. I will let you know when the boat is assigned. Love the red, my GTS is carmine red. Here is the new ride.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:47 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Beautiful build. The 4 pipes look great.I heard from a dealer today that August is a realistic delivery date.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:59 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,183 Likes on 598 Posts

Can't wait to start seeing the cars here. I have a hard time ordering anything before i get to see the options/colors on the street to see what kind of emotion it stirs...

Both the builds above should be killer though.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
Beautiful car! Well done! The current On-Sale date of the 992 is mid-August of 2019. I would set your expectations there. Cars will not be released to dealers until that on-sale date is amended or reached. Perhaps a dealer rep will have one to show-off, or a launch party may warrant a car being available to view sooner.
Yes I am expecting mid-Aug as the worst case (and sadly most likely) delivery date which, as you say, is the official On-Sale target date.

I was hoping for 12-Jul which is seems to be the Planned Date for all first batch cars. But my SA (who has been extremely pessimistic and suggesting mid/late Aug until today) told me it might be much earlier than we were thinking - his reasoning is that for Porsche salespeople to be able to drive USA-spec 992s on the public roads of Salt Lake City on 20-Jun means the cars must have got through EPA/CAFE certification by that date. But no real evidence to suggest that of course...
Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darkknight26
I would consider the omission of the sports exhaust very carefully. I tried driving with mine off on my 991.2 and can confirm that you here it most at low-speeds below 4k RPM. above that they sound the same but the subtle difference in extra 'grunt' is worth it IMO. You need to balance looks vs sound. Good luck!
I did test-drive perhaps five 991.2 vehicles with PSE (turned it on and off during mundane and spirited driving) and several 991.2 cars without PSE. To be honest I prefer the non-PSE sound and would rarely turn the feature on - the burbles etc sound a bit contrived and juvenile to my ancient ears, especially for a high-mileage daily driver. I think the standard exhaust sounds great, and much louder than my Tesla Plus I really REALLY like the quad pipe look.

Nick Murray has a good comparison of two very similar 991.2 vehicles with and without PSE - I am sure 90% of people would prefer the PSE on, and that I am some kind of weirdo, and that's ok.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cjwal
I think our cars will share the same boat. Mine was completed on 4.4.19 as well. Although mine has to ride a bit longer to hit the port in Houston. Fingers crossed on quicker epa certs, but I doubt it. Mine shows dealer delivery of 5.24 but has a placeholder date still for 7.12. I will let you know when the boat is assigned. Love the red, my GTS is carmine red. Here is the new ride.

What a stunning car - dark blue or carbon black with a light interior was on my last four BMWs. I didn't know anything about Sport Design Package when I placed my order - the rear treatment with the license plate raised looks terrific (especially if you have Removal of Model Designation - I was trying to avoid all non-black trim).

This is my first Porsche of any kind and I am sure I made some little mistakes on the ordering. But I am also sure I will also love the car even with little imperfections like the nubbin and giant cup-holder etc.

BTW I also have V900 Dealer Inventory as 12-Jul (Planned) and 24-May (Expected) as placeholders. As several people have said this will likely turn into Aug sadly. Which part of Houston are you in? I lived in Missouri City/Sugarland for a while many years back...
Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I have SE on my 991.2 and hardly ever use it. The regular exhaust note is fine, and I really don't need people hearing me coming from a mile away. I only got it because it was part of the sport package along with sport mirrors, SC and RAS. Going with quad tips is a good choice. By the way, both the red and blue cars look great.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:38 AM
cjwal
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pelucidor,

I am in Southlake Texas. (Dallas/FT Worth). Although I have spent a lot of time in Houston. Dallas is Home.

This is is my First 911 so I feel the same way as you. I have had several Cayenne’s, but that was due to running the kids to every sporting event possible. Need 4 seats. Both kids now have cars so I finally got the Hall pass to get what I really wanted. My Cayenne GTS is the same as your spec, Almost did the same, but I was ready to go back to night blue metallic. (My favorite color)

Anyway, will keep you posted on any news I get on delivery. Lots of empty suit answers so far from the dealers. But that’s what happens when legal concerns enter the picture.

Regardless, waiting sucks, but the light is starting to show up at the end of this tunnel.

(BTW. I struggled with the sport design, and sport exhaust. Always have had the quad exhaust. Love the sport design look, so eventually went with the sport rear and sport exhaust. I like the noise. I have always added cat bypass to my cayennes. Just sounds more like a porsche should to me. So I opted for sport exhaust. It’s personal. Cant go wrong either way. Bottom line I am happy with my choice. That’s all that matters in the end ��
Old 04-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Ms95207x
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. It's encouraging to hear that you have a VIN. I ordered my 992 (my first 911) in early January and was told it will be built in late May. This will be my DD and I went bold on color (LO) and went all in on options. Here's my build PLGY6V15. You only live once....make the most of it without regret.

Quick Reply: My USA-bound 992 has been built and has a VIN