992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 as Highway Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

(Full disclosure: Porsche wanted us to drive the 2020 911 Carrera S so badly that it flew me to Valencia, Spain, put me up in a hotel, fed me a lot of food and rented out the Circuit Ricardo Tormo for a whole day.)
Old 08-10-2019, 05:35 PM
miglio
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Wow - I just took my 991.1 GTS cab 1,000 miles from LA to Death Valley to Vegas to Joshua Tree and back to LA. I was AMAZED at how quiet the car is in normal mode with auto start/stop (coasting function) engaged. It makes such a great grand tourer. I am sure the 992 will be no different.
Eh, 992 is different. Coasting mode never activated automatically... Bad bad news on this awesome car
Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

I've driven 992 on street and track, car has a vastly improved PASM system compared to 991.1/2. This in-turn makes it more comfortable and yes, quieter. Whether the general road noise from larger tires/us still wanting the driver to feel the road is still too much for you, that's a personal opinion. But if greater general comfort/ the car being more quiet than its predecessor is the question, then its a yes to both parts. Would have no issue daily driving the 992 on a primarily highway commute.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 101 Posts

It would be great if an existing owner would measure decibel levels at highway speeds in the 992. Free app decibel X and others available online in App Store.

i saw a spreadsheet that charted 67 dB in the macan and 73 dB in the 911 at highway speeds.

http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/desktop.html
Old 08-11-2019, 12:23 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
One of the Porsche videos about 992 technology pointed out that there was something new in the rear wheel wells to dampen tire noise (a major complaint of 991 owners) compared to 991 models. That is totally independent from managing "sporty" intake and exhaust sounds.
do you happen to remember which video? thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 12:44 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk

I’m interested in the 992. The only reason I parted with my 991.1 was the tiresome road noise on my regular if not weekly Interstate blasts from Corpus Christi to San Antonio and back - sometimes same day. With my bank vault quiet Panamera, I arrive fresh as lettuce, and mine doesn’t even have acoustic glass.

I would consider the 992 if it were as quiet a highway cruiser as the Panamera is. Anyone chime in with any experiences? I realize only a few people have driven one, but even in that small sample, has anyone commented on this one way or the other?
Thank you for perfectly demonstrating the buyer that Porsche is targeting and who the 992 may be the perfect vehicle for. More acoustic glass Porsche! Listen to the man!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 PM
off/lang
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Thank you for perfectly demonstrating the buyer that Porsche is targeting and who the 992 may be the perfect vehicle for. More acoustic glass Porsche! Listen to the man!
As we've seen with the 991, the 911 platform is quite flexible. There's room for terrific grand tourers (fast, comfortable, and refined) and track destroyers (fast, raw, loud) within the same line. That's a good thing. I urge you to stop being so negative about the Carrera and instead channel your energy towards the qualities you're looking for in the next GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by off/lang:
JHesketh (08-11-2019), markchristenson (05-19-2020)
Old 08-11-2019, 01:28 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by off/lang
As we've seen with the 991, the 911 platform is quite flexible. There's room for terrific grand tourers (fast, comfortable, and refined) and track destroyers (fast, raw, loud) within the same line. That's a good thing. I urge you to stop being so negative about the Carrera and instead channel your energy towards the qualities you're looking for in the next GT3.
Perhaps you're unaware of European emission laws basically mandating the particulate filter, preventing the future engines from sounding as good.... Or perhaps you're unaware of American laws requiring a backup camera meaning you're stuck with 30" iPad infotainment across all coming 992 models.

Since I don't work for Porsche - I don't think channeling either one of our "energies" is going to have much effect on the future design decisions that Porsche's B team makes.

Although now that I think about it, a 992 CUP might be a great car.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
I've driven 992 on street and track, car has a vastly improved PASM system compared to 991.1/2. This in-turn makes it more comfortable and yes, quieter. Whether the general road noise from larger tires/us still wanting the driver to feel the road is still too much for you, that's a personal opinion. But if greater general comfort/ the car being more quiet than its predecessor is the question, then its a yes to both parts. Would have no issue daily driving the 992 on a primarily highway commute.
+1. Certainly you wouldn't mistake the cabin noise for an S-class, in fact I'm not even sure the word quiet applies, really, but cruising on the highway in 8th gear in normal mode for a few hundred miles wouldn't be a source of fatigue.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:48 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Does anyone know if Active Noise Cancellation is used in the 992? We know already there are microphones in the wheelhouse (for triggering wet mode). Theoretically that could be used for suppressing cabin noise, but I can't find any info about it.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Does anyone know if Active Noise Cancellation is used in the 992? We know already there are microphones in the wheelhouse (for triggering wet mode). Theoretically that could be used for suppressing cabin noise, but I can't find any info about it.
It’s not. In fact, noise is piped into the cabin through tubes (symposers) in the firewall.

The Wet Sensors are also in the wheel arches rather than the wheelhouse (cabin).

It seems to me that Porsche is not aiming for ‘silent running’ with the 911, more ‘emotional stimulation’ and ‘flat six character’.

I feel we are unlikely to see active noise cancellation being used in a 911 except perhaps to counter the gnawing whine of an electric motor. The Taycan creates an artificial electric motor noise to try to bring character and atmosphere. That probably indicates a future direction.
The following users liked this post:
ABMD (02-18-2021)
Old 05-19-2020, 07:50 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Yep, I know about the symposers. (I even plugged mine in my 981GTS...). Symposers are channeling the intake sound into the cabin. However, I felt, when test driving a 992 C2S a week ago that exhaust sound was more pronounced, more "clear" inside the cabin, rather than the outside (because I listened with the windows down). That didn't make sense. Since that is not from the symposers, it got me thinking they're doing something with the speakers. As BMW has done for ages, and as you point out, Porsche already do in the Taycan.... Would be really interesting to know...

Yes, I meant wheel arches and not the cabin ("wheelhouse" is cabin...? On a ship, yes...but...?)

So maybe my question isn't really if they're using ANC, rather if the engine sound is enhanced electronically, on top of the existing symposers. Remember Porsche is no stranger to this, having even put a separate speaker unit in the 4-cyl 718s to help the situation...
Old 05-19-2020, 09:16 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
There might be no information because its not happening.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
There might be no information because its not happening.
Are you 100% sure? With respect to electronic engine sound enhancement, I can imagine Porsche not being very interested in bragging about this, since it hasn't been a popular technology/system among other brands. Also, I think they didn't really lift up the 718 solution (extra speaker) either. That was revealed when someone had their car apart (As I understood it, I might be wrong)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:58 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

If you want a car as quiet as the Panamera, don’t get the 911. They have two very different goals. There are a lot of quiet cars out there compared to the 911 so look at a luxury car such as Mercedes or just drive the Panamera. Road noise is very subjective and also heavily affected by tires and road conditions. I just put PS4s on my E63 and it significantly improved the handling and less road noise. For 2021, you can get the lightweight glass option on the 911 which also reduces road noise,

Quick Reply: 992 as Highway Cruiser?