Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Judge my “GT2-lite” configuration...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:32 PM
diss7
Racer

Received 393 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Judge my “GT2-lite” configuration...

After missing out on a Carrera T last year, I’ve decided to build my own limited edition model 992.

Whether it’s actually a limited edition or not isn’t really the motivation. It’s more a case of custom ordering something with a purpose.

In this sense, I’ve decided to spec a car which I consider a GT2-lite. Call it a poor man’s GT2; an attainable GT2, a wannabe GT2. They’re all true!

A throwback to the 996 997 GT2 non-RS models essentially. The 992 C2S performance is (pretty much) what the 996 GT2 delivered; though I’m aware it won’t deliver the power in the same way.

I’m motivated towards this type of build, as I fear that the days of this level of power being available in 2wd and manual box are numbered.

Here’s the spec / build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PLM31F73
with two additions not currently available on the configuration; the fixed rear wing and the manual box.

Some things on my mind - which I’d appreciate feedback on....

1. Should I wait for the GTS?
More power, more alcantara are positives. I don’t really care for the likely sports design kit and I’d opt out of the centre locks and spec the Carrera S wheels. I don’t need the extra power, but would take it. I’m not in a hurry to buy. I plan on waiting at least another 12 months before buying regardless.

2. No Sports Chrono.
With the manual box, it seems to me that SC is simply a shortcut toggle switch. The same options are still there through the main screen (I could be wrong but this is my understanding) and on that basis, the cost isn’t justifiable.

3. No Sports exhaust.
I much prefer the look of the quad pipes, so don’t wish to pay for a less desirable (aesthetically) option. I figure that, should I want more noise in the future that there’ll be numerous muffler bypass options available aftermarket, so that I achieve the louder sound with the preferred quad tips.

4. No FAL
I haven’t been able to find any approach angle details on the 992. My driveway requires about 7.5deg approach. The 991CT was going to be close. My 997 C2S sailed up the drive, from memory it’s approach was more than 10 deg. At this point I’m assuming that if I stay away from the Sports Design, I should be fine. That said, might be better to spec in case.

5. Residual considerations.
Dealer is pushing me to consider the residual value of the car, in the sense that I should build the car to make it more appealing to the next owner. For this reason he suggests I opt for SC, RWS, FAL, sports exhaust, not black, PDK.
A major reason I’m buying a new Porker is that I can extend the warranty out to 12 years, and my intent is to own the car for that amount of time. That said, intent is often not what occurs, and so I can’t help but consider his point.
My gut tells me that - if for example - I exited the car in 3 years unexpectedly, the worst case delta between my spec, and his suggested spec, would be equal to the cost of the options that are suggested, plus say another $10k at worst. I think based on that, I’d accept that $10k penalty potential for the sake of having what I want.
I mean, it’s not like I’m ordering a yellow car with pink interior! (Sorry if that’s your spec, no offence!)

6. No RWS
I’ve owned cars with rear wheel steering before. My major gripe with them is that when the rear slides, it wasn’t a great feeling having the rear steer. So we used to lock these systems out. These were JDM rwd 90s cars. (Yes, I was in that drift crowd ~10 years ago) I don’t doubt the tech has come along since then, but the fundamentals of what is going on is the same. It’s a difficult one to judge. I can’t go and slide a dealers demo. Nor do I intend to slide mine constantly, that said, if it does slide I want it to be predicable while doing so. Dealer has said they basically see RWS as a must have option, and vast majority of buyers choose it.

Any comments, suggestions or feedback, positive or negative, welcomed.

The attached is the closest to what I can find to my spec. Black with the standard Carrera S wheels.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You never get your money back on options no matter what they are. Get what you want.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:43 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by diss7

2. No Sports Chrono.
With the manual box, it seems to me that SC is simply a shortcut toggle switch. The same options are still there through the main screen (I could be wrong but this is my understanding) and on that basis, the cost isn’t justifiable.

Yes you are wrong. SC offers a lot more than a toggle switch. Some examples are below (and none available without SC). I am sure I missed some. Of course, this is assuming the 992 SC is similar to the 991.2 SC.

Dynamic engine mounts
Rev matching in sport and sport + (manual)
Improved throttle mapping - throttle response goes to "performance"
Sport Response Button (pdk)
Launch control (pdk)
G-force meter
Clock with lap timer
Sport screen on PCM for lap analysis (and draws laps on PCM screen as you go around)
Ability to download performance data to your laptop
Upshift indicator in MFD
Mode dial on steering wheel which also adds I-mode
Relaxed point at which PSM kicks in (i.e. allows more yaw)

Also, I looked at your configuration. I just don't see anything remotely related to a GT2 other than both cars are made by Porsche. Looks like a "C2S-lite" to me. Just saying.

Edit: I thought of a couple more to add to the list.
Increases idle speed
Opens additional symposer tube for better sound in compartment.
Changes RPM limiter to sport from normal.
Rear axles steering, PASM, PSM, PDCC, PTM and PTV go to sport mode

Quick Reply: Judge my “GT2-lite” configuration...