Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:59 AM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Dang! And I just bought a house in Pasadena. Moving from no-front-plate Pennsylvania early next year. On the plus side, driving the car with a front plate in February is better that having it sit in the garage where it's been all week.
As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 949 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But did either of those plate tickets arise from getting pulled over solely for that reason, or was it an add on when you got pulled over for speeding or running a red light? I've never, ever heard of a cop pulling anyone over solely for a plate violation around here.

I literally drive past cops almost every single day with no plate with no issues.
Both were add on tickets at $25 a piece plus a trip to the local CHP. This isn't an issue at $25 but if we start getting stung for $500 I don't see a reason to take the risk.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Both were add on tickets at $25 a piece plus a trip to the local CHP. This isn't an issue at $25 but if we start getting stung for $500 I don't see a reason to take the risk.
I have a Carbonio removable mount with my plate that I keep in the Spyder's frunk, just in case I ever get pulled over I can put it on and feign ignorance, etc. I've been thinking of mounting a plate on my Golf R, but there's no easy way to do it, so I'm going to wait until I get a ticket to do anything.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I have a Carbonio removable mount with my plate that I keep in the Spyder's frunk, just in case I ever get pulled over I can put it on and feign ignorance, etc. I've been thinking of mounting a plate on my Golf R, but there's no easy way to do it, so I'm going to wait until I get a ticket to do anything.
Not easy but here is how I did it on my GTI:

Car up on ramps.
Remove plastic indertray
Purchase black anodized or stainless flat head screws, nuts and fender washers about 1" in size
Center plate on lower intake grille
Pass bolts through plate and grille. Reach up from behind the grille and use fender washer to secure through the honeycomb.

Worked well for me. Be sure to get rust resistant hardware. In my case I got black Texas plates so it blended into the honeycomb well.

Can do ghetto version with zip ties. Lol.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:37 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish there was some magnetic way instead of drilling; I am just surprised Porsche didn't figure this solution out; I guess they were too busy with third brake light, nubbin etc lol

Only few states in US where one can drive without front plates. One of my friends keeps his plates on his dash, and I keep saying to him that the plate can become a projectile during emergency braking or some collision. I try not to sit in his car because of loose plate sitting on the dash.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:49 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So is it really true that there's a $500 fine in CA for the front plate!!!!! That seems crazy.

On my old 911, I never put front plate on and got a $25 fix it ticket every month, usually in West Hollywood.
On my GT4, I didn't remove the front temp registration and didn't even put on rear plates, and never got a ticket. Basically, if you have the rear plate, they expect the front. Otherwise, I assume the meter maids thought it was a new car. I know that makes people mad, but I'm just answering the question.
Haven't decided what I'll do with the GT3 mainly because CA for the first time has temp tags like other states. So there's no logical reason not to have rear plates. This went into effect Jan 1. I don't know how it will be enforced in the coming months.
Regardless, I WILL NOT put a plate on the front. I don't care about holes in the hood. I just think American plates overwhelm the front of Porsches.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Originally Posted by shaytun
So is it really true that there's a $500 fine in CA for the front plate!!!!! That seems crazy
From DMV's website (updated 1/1/19):

What is the penalty for someone whose vehicle does not display temporary or permanent license plates?

The fine amount can differ depending in the county where a violation occurs. The fines range from $25 with proof of correction up to $197 without proof of correction. Drivers may receive multiple tickets if they delay making the correction.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/templp
Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not easy but here is how I did it on my GTI:

Car up on ramps.
Remove plastic indertray
Purchase black anodized or stainless flat head screws, nuts and fender washers about 1" in size
Center plate on lower intake grille
Pass bolts through plate and grille. Reach up from behind the grille and use fender washer to secure through the honeycomb.

Worked well for me. Be sure to get rust resistant hardware. In my case I got black Texas plates so it blended into the honeycomb well.
The R's grill is different, but I thought of doing something similar. My concerns are a) it'll disrupt flow to the radiator and b) if it moves at all it'll scratch up the grill. I have a tow hook mount for my old Carrera that I'm gonna test to see if it'll thread on the Golf's tow hook mount.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 70 Posts

My main concern is if California dealers will now feel pressure to drill and pre-install the front plate holders.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
My main concern is if California dealers will now feel pressure to drill and pre-install the front plate holders.
It's now the law and they are doing it. But, I also heard that some are making the customers sign a disclaimer of sorts which I am not sure it can fly.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

New 718 in my neighborhood with the front tag zip-tied to the lower right grill, looks like.

Seeing a lot of the new white paper tags with plain black letters, which makes me feel like I'm in a different state. I suppose the new law makes less sense for red-light cameras (which are on the decline here) and a lot more sense for FasTrak? But the thing with that is, it reads rear plates, as do bridge tolls.

Wish someone could get CA DMV thinking about halving its annual plate creation costs by dumping front plates—not to mention the savings in postage, fuel use, paint use, and various other tiny improvements such as better aero for the state's vehicle fleet. At least, those are the ways to sell it to CA legislators.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
I had an Audi dealer tell me that yearsback, I.e., that the State was mandating they install the front plate mount before it leaves the dealership or they would get fined. No exceptions, yada yada. So I said I won’t buy the car if they drill the bumper. So they didn’t.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 70 Posts

I had an Audi dealer tell me that yearsback, I.e., that the State was mandating they install the front plate mount before it leaves the dealership or they would get fined. No exceptions, yada yada. So I said I won’t buy the car if they drill the bumper. So they didn’t.
I'll happily sign a waiver and pay the fine on their behalf before I let them drill into the bumper.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:37 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What do owners do if they own Ferrari 812 or 488 Pista - there is virtually no room to put the plates
Old 01-29-2023, 04:19 AM
silencei2
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

This was recently approved in CA

https://licenseplatewrap.com/
The following users liked this post:
passat774 (01-29-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Front license plate in California