Where is the satellite radio wart?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:41 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where is the satellite radio wart?

I don't see it on US-spec 992 cars. Hopefully, Porsche finally found a way to hide it?

Old 01-23-2019, 12:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Might be hidden in the third brake light?

Would be good if that ugly thing was good for something.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:52 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I am betting the super ugly 3rd brakelight - you can see the extended plasstic bits....sucks, I will need to spend extra for third party solution to get the lights centered.....but it totally looks like Satellite bit is in there. I wish there is an option to have it removed, these days I don't even use satellite radio in the age of internet streaming
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Porsche USA has a contract with XM radio.

Don't even give you the option of not having it.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Originally Posted by STG
Might be hidden in the third brake light?
That was my first thought as well...

Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Originally Posted by captainkirk
these days I don't even use satellite radio in the age of internet streaming
As in Pandora, Spotify, etc.? Is data less expensive than Satellite radio?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by The Pope
As in Pandore, Spotify, etc.? Is data less expensive than Satellite radio?
I have T-Mobile - oh yes...heck I get unlimited music streaming - "binge on" in my account - doesn't even get capped in my account. Best part is that I get to choose on what I want to listen; in XM, I basically listened to 2 channels mostly, and then again I can never choose the tracks that I want. For my use, XM became outdated super fast.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I hope it's gone.

Guys in the GT3 Forum have been making efforts to remove the wart from their new 991.2s.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I happen to like satellite radio and use it almost exclusively. I grew up listening to radio, starting with the local AM stations in my hometown (WARM in Scranton) followed by progressive rock/album oriented rock FM stations (WNEW in NYC), followed by college stations (WFUV in NY and WKPS here in State College). I like the banter of the DJs and being introduced to new music. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of the new brake light, but if they've integrated the satellite antenna into it, I'm all for it.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:56 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

They can't make you subscribe to satellite radio. Pretty sure the car gets am, fm and Apple car play. Wart is probably at the base of new weird rear brake light as mentioned.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,182 Likes on 597 Posts

Yeah if Howard Stern enters my car through that brake light I feel much better about the ... um... questionable design.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like most of the 992 design, but the third brake light just doesn't work for me. It looks like something that fell off of a bicycle or motorcycle and was accidentally laid on top of the grill! I'd prefer a "wart" like on my 991.1 cab over this. Yes, I'm sure we'll all get used to it, but this is the one styling element of the 992 that bugs me the most.

We need to find out the designer's name to see if a name like "Bangle Butt" can be used instead of the awkward "weird third brake light thing."
Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pope
As in Pandora, Spotify, etc.? Is data less expensive than Satellite radio?
XM subscriber for over 10 years - multiple cars. Every year renewal cost is on the moon.
Call and threaten to say goodbye....this year they said OK we will cancel - I said OK and
hung up.

2 days later get an email survey....gave them all -0-'s and said was tired of their crap in my response
email.

Got a phone call a few days later....instead of $158 per car, now $99. They have specials on line where they offer
$60/yr but ask for your radio(s) ID. Enter the ID and they say only good for new subscribers.

Probably could have held out for a better offer but not worth the time.

This was 2 weeks ago (Jan/2019)

What a business model!

You can compare if data is cheaper I guess.........

2015 991 TT
Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by SkipSauls
I like most of the 992 design, but the third brake light just doesn't work for me. It looks like something that fell off of a bicycle or motorcycle and was accidentally laid on top of the grill! I'd prefer a "wart" like on my 991.1 cab over this. Yes, I'm sure we'll all get used to it, but this is the one styling element of the 992 that bugs me the most.

We need to find out the designer's name to see if a name like "Bangle Butt" can be used instead of the awkward "weird third brake light thing."
You are 100% right the wart is way better than the third brake light. I am surprised no video review is openly stating out on it really sticks out. Everytime I see a 992 picture or video the third brake light looks like a band aid stuck to the car. This is worse than the nubbin gear selector. When the very first 992 pics came online - I even mentioned that this where the XM receiver is (high probability guess).

With so much plastic there is so much room to spread the xm electronics and still have light aligned. Sloppy Porsche engineering here....there is no doubt about it.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,182 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
You are 100% right the wart is way better than the third brake light. I am surprised no video review is openly stating out on it really sticks out. Everytime I see a 992 picture or video the third brake light looks like a band aid stuck to the car. This is worse than the nubbin gear selector. When the very first 992 pics came online - I even mentioned that this where the XM receiver is (high probability guess).

With so much plastic there is so much room to spread the xm electronics and still have light aligned. Sloppy Porsche engineering here....there is no doubt about it.
for what its worth when I saw the car in person the brake light was a non-issue for me.... I didn't even think about it until I walked away and thought about the fact that I didn't even really pay attention to it. In person its not as in-your-face as it seems in the pics.

Quick Reply: Where is the satellite radio wart?