Sponsored by:

How many are waiting for manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How many are waiting for manual

My dealer wrote me a couple of days ago indicating that he had just gotten an allocation for a 992 S and wanted to know if I was ready with my configuration. It was sooner than I expected. I'm waiting for a manual though. Reading all of the posts here I get the sense that most who have decided to get a 992 are going PDK. This will be my first 911. Been driving BMW M3's (manuals) for the last 14 years (e46 then e92). Now have a Cayenne GTS and am bored to death but family and dog required something bigger. Anyway looks like it will be summer or back end of 2019 before manuals arrive. People seem to really like the PDK but I just don't think I will enjoy as much. You guys waiting...?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:21 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolo
My dealer wrote me a couple of days ago indicating that he had just gotten an allocation for a 992 S and wanted to know if I was ready with my configuration. It was sooner than I expected. I'm waiting for a manual though. Reading all of the posts here I get the sense that most who have decided to get a 992 are going PDK. This will be my first 911. Been driving BMW M3's (manuals) for the last 14 years (e46 then e92). Now have a Cayenne GTS and am bored to death but family and dog required something bigger. Anyway looks like it will be summer or back end of 2019 before manuals arrive. People seem to really like the PDK but I just don't think I will enjoy as much. You guys waiting...?
I still have my 2003.5 E46 M3 in the garage with a 6spd manual, and i’ll never sell that car. I owned previously a 991.1 C2S with PDK, and I really grew to love it, the transmission is so sharp and intelligent...sporty when you want it, but amazing to have the best of both worlds when you want to relax around town. I really enjoyed how hard the car would shift (and the sound) in sport modes, a Jekyll and Hyde ability. There are times I really appreciated having the automatic nature of that transmission, and if you are track driving - the pdk is just killer. So it enables you to have a broad range of every day and track usability. A well rounded do it all transmission.

I sold my Porsche 991.1 regrettably due to financial reasons and decided to pay off a very large student loan, and now back in the market soon for another Porsche. I’m struggling with the same decision.

I have a feeling they tailor-made and developed this 992 to perform best with the PDK. The manual I feel is going to be an engineering afterthought mated to the car down the road. I could be wrong but yeah most of the engineering resources are likely focused on the PDK.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Yes. Already lost a lot of money on a PDK TT. Won't do that again. PDKs or their equivalent are a self fulfilling prophecy. At some point, no one buying cars will have any idea how to drive a MT.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:39 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

The styling of the 992 is starting to grow on me, and I’m contemplating a 992 Base with manual as a possible future purchase. The manual should bring significant weight savings, particularly given the extra heavy 8 speed PDK being used this time around.

I’ve driven PDK Porsches, and I’ll admit the PDK is the best transmission I’ve ever experienced, period... and I’ve driven lots of different cars. Thus, the PDK is tempting. I don’t like the “shaver” shifter of the 992 though. In particular, when shifting manually on the street, I often like to shift from first to second gear during a left or right turn. During such turns, the steering wheel is rotated over 90 degrees, making paddle shifting awkward. Being able to shift with the shifter certainly helps in this scenario. I suppose I could leave the car in auto mode, but what’s the fun in that? I feel Porsche should bring back a centre console shifter for the PDK, or have column mounted paddles (Ferrari style) that don’t rotate with the steering wheel.

I like manuals for their engagement, relative rarity in North America, and out of a general “save the manuals” feeling. Maybe they’d be worth more in the future too due to rarity. I was previously split, but I feel the shaver shifter and heavy 8 speed PDK are pushing me towards manual if I get s 992.

I’ll probably buy one of the following in the next 18 months:
  • 718 Spyder
  • 718 Boxster variant with an NA flat 6 if such a thing will be released
  • 718 Boxster GTS
  • 992 Carrera Coupe (base) with manual transmission
Old 12-21-2018, 06:47 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I never shift PDK gears when turning....(now right before the turn or right end of the turn are completely different stories...I am clearly stating in the turn)

I am waiting for the manual but I have to sit in one of these 992 before committing an order. I am hoping that PDK stick is an option, chances are low but shaver is absolutely $%^&* in design.

Why do I get a feeling that the 992.1 will be the last manual generation.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:56 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I never shift PDK gears when turning....(now right before the turn or right end of the turn are completely different stories...I am clearly stating in the turn)
When I’m moving and coming into a turn, I try to shift before or after the turn. However, when I’m turning left or right after a stop sign or signal light, I’m starting the turn in first gear, and I often approach or exceed 4K RPM. Revving that high while I’m just driving casually and accelerating slowly in a city just feels awkward and obnoxious, so I like to shift into second at 3k RPM in such turns.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:04 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm also waiting for the manuals to arrive. I'm sure at some point either they'll stop making them or my left leg will be older and weaker, but for now I'm sticking with a stick. My wife and I are in line for a Targa and a coupe. I'm hoping the coupe will be here next fall/late summer and the Targa will arrive in the spring of 2020.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:08 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bolo
wait for the manual

you will regret it, if you go pdk
Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

When I’m moving and coming into a turn, I try to shift before or after the turn. However, when I’m turning left or right after a stop sign or signal light, I’m starting the turn in first gear, and I often approach or exceed 4K RPM. Revving that high while I’m just driving casually and accelerating slowly in a city just feels awkward and obnoxious, so I like to shift into second at 3k RPM in such turns.
How in the hell do you manage to rev to 4K when "starting the turn"? Are you in Sport Plus while just driving casually?
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04

wait for the manual

you will regret it, if you go pdk
I think that is true. I'm almost certain that is true. My only slight reservation is the praise the PDK has received from almost everyone including professionals. I may track the car. I may not. So the shifting speed and accuracy of the PDK is not going to be important to my enjoyment of the car. That's really the key. And that's why it will be a manual for me. I have assumed that most people in the market for this car are over 40 at least and grew up with manuals or at least have substantial experience with manuals. If my assumption is correct I would expect that most would wait for their arrival.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:42 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
How in the hell do you manage to rev to 4K when "starting the turn"? Are you in Sport Plus while just driving casually?
4k is around 36 km/h (22 mph) in first gear. It’s very easy to hit that in a left turn.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If I buy a 992 in 2020 it will only be the manual. Also waiting to see what Porsche does with the 992 GT3 and availability.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:33 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The PDK is the PDK and even if it is a better PDK in this new generation car, I want a manual. I think we are going to get the 6 speed from the R, but we will have to pay for it. We will see..,
Old 12-22-2018, 02:26 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm waiting for the manual.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:59 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m getting the PDK. One of our cars is a Z8 which satisfies all my manual shifting urges.

Quick Reply: How many are waiting for manual