Interview from creators of the 992 with R&T

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Interview from creators of the 992 with R&T

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...-specs-details

The "iconic" 911 has plans for a hybrid. More variants is not a good thing.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by rcristobal
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...-specs-details

The "iconic" 911 has plans for a hybrid. More variants is not a good thing.
The coming 911 hybrid has been all over the news, but thanks for the article which included a couple points I’ve not seen elsewhere.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:51 PM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the share. Some interesting tidbits in there.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:07 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

interesting thanks.
trying to like the new version, still struggling.
I don't understand the benefits of wet mode, it feels like something a lexus should have, not a porsche. The fact that they keep emphasizing this feature in every article about the 992, I find puzzling.
5 seconds faster around the ring is definitely pretty large- I am not sure how Porsche is saying this car is about .4 seconds faster to 60, with more weight and barely any more hp/torque. Right now the S is 3.1 seconds to 60, so the new one could be 2.7? Makes no sense to me, every .1 is exponentially harder especially when you get to the sub 3 second mark.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
interesting thanks.
I don't understand the benefits of wet mode, it feels like something a lexus should have, not a porsche. The fact that they keep emphasizing this feature in every article about the 992, I find puzzling.
5 seconds faster around the ring is definitely pretty large- I am not sure how Porsche is saying this car is about .4 seconds faster to 60, with more weight and barely any more hp/torque. Right now the S is 3.1 seconds to 60, so the new one could be 2.7? Makes no sense to me, every .1 is exponentially harder especially when you get to the sub 3 second mark.
They were lying about the 0-60 times of the previous generation. Every single magazine test found them to be quicker than specified, with a margin of error that was too large to be a margin of error.

They knew the next generation would have to be heavier and not significantly more powerful -- remember that the 992 was already well into development the day the first 991.2s hit the road! -- so they sandbagged the 991.2 specifications accordingly.

Also, the bigger rear tires will help a bit. They will run with lower air pressure, resulting in a bigger contact patch.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
They were lying about the 0-60 times of the previous generation. Every single magazine test found them to be quicker than specified, with a margin of error that was too large to be a margin of error.

They knew the next generation would have to be heavier and not significantly more powerful -- remember that the 992 was already well into development the day the first 991.2s hit the road! -- so they sandbagged the 991.2 specifications accordingly.

Also, the bigger rear tires will help a bit. They will run with lower air pressure, resulting in a bigger contact patch.
agree with everything you said. This explains the 0-60 times.

As for the ring, that is explained by the 4cm wider track front and rear which makes the car more stable for Ring Times, but less fun to drive. Another reason I won’t be getting a 992 GT3. With the .2 RS engine and some basic weight loss tricks the .1 GT3 may have the same power to weight ratio as my .2 GT3, and achieve a modestly faster Ring time due to wider track, but it will feel heavier and less playful to drive.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

agree with everything you said. This explains the 0-60 times.

As for the ring, that is explained by the 4cm wider track front and rear which makes the car more stable for Ring Times, but less fun to drive. Another reason I won’t be getting a 992 GT3. With the .2 RS engine and some basic weight loss tricks the .1 GT3 may have the same power to weight ratio as my .2 GT3, and achieve a modestly faster Ring time due to wider track, but it will feel heavier and less playful to drive.
But GT3 already has the wider track since 991. Basically now 2wd Carreras are as wide as AWD and GT3 cars were all along, that's all. The new body is exactly the same 1852mm wide as AWD and GT3 bodies of the 991.2 generations with the same track. So not sure how widening of C2 and C2S versions to match AWD cars will make the next GT3 less fun - seems like unrelated things.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
But GT3 already has the wider track since 991. Basically now 2wd Carreras are as wide as AWD and GT3 cars were all along, that's all. The new body is exactly the same 1852mm wide as AWD and GT3 bodies of the 991.2 generations with the same track. So not sure how widening of C2 and C2S versions to match AWD cars will make the next GT3 less fun - seems like unrelated things.
the body is the same width, but is the track (space between the wheels) now exactly the same between 991 GT3 and 992 carrera? If so, what is your reference?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:41 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I could not find the exact track specifications for 992, but the 991 GT3, GTS and C4S track is the widest possible track in 1852mm body (1552mm) given the constant wheel width. Basically, the only way to increase the width of rear track would be to make tires skinnier, which we know did not happen. The front track is a different story, though, because in 991 generation only RS had wider front track. So 992 C2S is basically the 991 C4S rear track but front track is likely closer to that of the RS. That Depending on the set up, that could either means nothing or make for very slightly more playful rear end by shifting slightly more traction forward.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:52 AM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Are you aware that magazines quote 0-60 times with use a one foot roll-out while most manufacturers (except for Tesla) use a standing 0-60? That’s why you’ll commonly see a 0.3 second faster 0-60 time with magazines than with the manufacturer. It’s not a conspiracy my friend, just different ways of measuring 0-60 that the whole industry can’t seem to agree on. If Porsche is quoting 3.2 second 0-60, it will probably be 2.9 seconds with a one foot roll-out.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA

Are you aware that magazines quote 0-60 times with use a one foot roll-out while most manufacturers (except for Tesla) use a standing 0-60? That’s why you’ll commonly see a 0.3 second faster 0-60 time with magazines than with the manufacturer. It’s not a conspiracy my friend, just different ways of measuring 0-60 that the whole industry can’t seem to agree on. If Porsche is quoting 3.2 second 0-60, it will probably be 2.9 seconds with a one foot roll-out.
so you are saying 2 tenths quicker to 60 vs the 3.1 of the c2s? that probably makes sense.
I still find it hard to fathom how 23 hp and 20 or so lb/ft of torque can make up .2 tenths seconds- when you look at the 991.2 gts vs s the times are really about .1 to 60 and 1/4 mile faster...
Old 12-03-2018, 01:09 PM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by poverty spec
Thanks for the share. Some interesting tidbits in there.
Yep! Many interesting facts and thoughts in there, this is just the last one I came across: "there's a small umbrella holder in the passenger-side door sill, which one of the 911's product planners tells me is a feature that was found on some early 911s."

Thnx for pointing out this article.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:29 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Why is Porsche forcing its customers of 992 to have the empty space for the electric drive train now. It is not like these models will go hybrid. Do this 992.2.

Thanks for the share. Excellent article - very disappointed with the designer on changing good things to bad.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

so you are saying 2 tenths quicker to 60 vs the 3.1 of the c2s? that probably makes sense.
I still find it hard to fathom how 23 hp and 20 or so lb/ft of torque can make up .2 tenths seconds- when you look at the 991.2 gts vs s the times are really about .1 to 60 and 1/4 mile faster...
991.2 GTS PDK has 0-60 in 3.1. I’m going with that for 992S. It’s essentially the same in that type of sprint.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

interesting thanks.
Do you live in Florida?

If so, you obviously seen how badly Florida drivers are in the rain.

The very first day I drove into Florida in a 993 I saw a damp highway and cars spun out into the highway median for several miles. It looked like the first day of snow in the North East.

Wet Mode must have been created with Florida in mind.

As far as faster times, I bet it is all about grip. Better tires and suspension, coupled with torque management puts the power where it does the most good.

Quick Reply: Interview from creators of the 992 with R&T