Sponsored by:

991.2 closer to 992 than 991.1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:28 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
My point was mechanically is the .2 closer to the 992. I've yet to see anyone provide details how the 992 will be that much different. I don't mind either way, I'm just curious that's why I brought it up. Visually the .2 front bumper is completely different, the bumper is longer, the hood has the two lines that come down through the bumper, the yellow side markers are different shapes, it can be spec'd with tips in the center, the grill is vertical, the door handles completely different, inter-cooler vents, and a dial-up mode switch on the steering wheel to name a few. Was there that much difference from the 997.1 to the 997.2? I don't actually know I just ask.
I'm not sure if I'm the 'people' that think they are completely different, but I would agree with you the mid-cycle refresh was "actually significant".
I can agree the power-train aside the .1 and .2 are similar, but it sure seems to me it was a trial run for the 992 based on the limited information I have seen so far. Other than the spy pictures they are doing a pretty good job of not leaking technical details.
Well, it does have to be somewhat mechanically different if they want to improve performance to keep up with competition as well as potentially integrate hybrid versions in the future. And they need something to market a new generation of the 911, beyond some tweaks of the looks and slightly more modern interior.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Here's some wild guesses on changes and additions introduced with the type 992:
  • 7-speed PDK replaced with 8-speed
  • Obviously compliance with emissions regulations for all variants
  • Naturally power/torque increases across the range
  • VTG turbos introduced for Carrera variants
  • Variable compression introduced in Turbo variants
  • (Possibly) cylinder deactivation for Carrera range
  • 48V system for electric turbos (mild hybrid, see Audi, Mercedes) introduced for Turbo (and possibly Carrera) variants
  • Carrera 4S E-Hybrid and Turbo S E-hybrid plug-in hybrids introduced (can't imagine Porsche waiting until the 992.2 mid-cycle refresh (2023/2024?) with this one)
  • 48V system for roll-stabilisation (PDCC Sport in combination with 4D Chassis Control as in the Panamera) introduced for Turbo (and possibly Carrera) variants
  • Air suspension (as in Panamera) or magnetic ride (as in the Audi R8/A8/etc) option introduced for Turbo variants
  • Rear-axle steering standard on Carrera variants
  • Double wishbone front suspension (as in Panamera, GT3 R) introduced for Turbo/GT variants
  • Slightly increased wheelbase, track, tyres sizes on all variants
  • Minimum wheel sizes 20" and 245/305 front/rear for Carrera
  • 20/21" 265/325 (front/rear) standard on Turbo/GT variants, centre-locks standard on Turbo; 21/21 or 21/22" (f/r) and 275-285mm front on RS/Turbo S
  • Carbon wheels standard option on all Turbo variants (if they were able to meet demand with the 991.2 Turbo)
  • Larger brake disks across the range; 10-piston brakes from the Panamera introduced as standard on the Turbo/GT variants
  • Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB, based on Bosch technology to reduce brake dust emission) option introduced on all variants (if they are able to meet demand on the Cayenne)
  • More active aero applications across all variants; we've seen air intake flaps (as in the Carrera) on most 992 mules; possibly introduction of active front/rear diffuser elements; we've seen the larger retractable rear-wing destined for Carrera variants
  • Park Assist/reversing camera standard in all variants (unsure if worldwide/or only in the US)
  • PAS (incl. automatic braking), lane change assist standard in Turbo (possibly Carrera, still PDK only?) variants
  • Full LED lights/PDLS (lighter-weight single centre light & four-point day-light running light; as on the mules) standard on all variants
  • Obviously a new interior with elements from the Panamera
  • More lightweight construction techniques (lightweight glass and thermoplastic parts mentioned on the Newsroom come to mind) balancing out the inevitable weight increases across the range
  • And naturally: a price increase across the range
Just wild speculation though.

Last edited by JMartinni; 05-23-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice list! Thanks for taking the time to do this. My comments follow on certain ones. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as you it appears so if my responses seem silly it is because I’m learning .
    • I assume for faster acceleration and lower highway gas consumption.
    • Yup easy enough.
    • I figured they decided against this since they seem to manage the turbos pretty well using the ECU. Doesn’t the VTG allow it to spin up quicker? What would this achieve since they have a flat torque curve starting at 1800rpm?
    • Like a become a four banger on the highway? Ouch.
  • 48V system for electric turbos (mild hybrid, see Audi, Mercedes) introduced for Turbo (and possibly Carrera) variants
    • This is really cool. I’ve been wondering when this would come along. Won’t it add weight?
  • Carrera 4S E-Hybrid and Turbo S E-hybrid plug-in hybrids introduced (can't imagine Porsche waiting until the 992.2 mid-cycle refresh (2023/2024?) with this one)
    • This seems very possible to me.
  • 48V system for roll-stabilisation (PDCC Sport in combination with 4D Chassis Control as in the Panamera) introduced for Turbo (and possibly Carrera) variants
    • Seems way too heavy to me. I’ve wondered how much better it would be.
  • Air suspension (as in Panamera) or magnetic ride (as in the Audi R8/A8/etc) option introduced for Turbo variants
    • Say it isn’t so .
    • Sure if they bump prices up because it is has the 992 badge. This would surprise me.
  • Double wishbone front suspension (as in Panamera, GT3 R) introduced for Turbo/GT variants
    • Tell me more! This is the kind of thing I was wondering about.
    • Probably so this I expected.
    • With a price increase maybe.
  • 20/21" 265/325 (front/rear) standard on Turbo/GT variants, centre-locks standard on Turbo; 21/21 or 21/22" (f/r) and 275-285mm front on RS/Turbo S
    • 22” ugly but I’ll wait and see.
  • Larger brake disks across the range; 10-piston brakes from the Panamera introduced as standard on the Turbo/GT variants
    • Wow. My 991.2 C2S already has large disks and calipers.
  • Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB, based on Bosch technology to reduce brake dust emission) option introduced on all variants (if they are able to meet demand on the Cayenne)
    • Interesting! Pretty kewl.
  • Full LED lights/PDLS (lighter-weight single centre light & four-point day-light running light; as on the mules) standard on all variants
    • Interesting I didn’t notice this.
    • Please say it ain’t so, no glass touch surfaces.
    • Absolutely!! I’m really hopeful they will provide more standard equipment that other charge nothing for, but I doubt this will happen, it is Porsche.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Nice list! Thanks for taking the time to do this. My comments follow on certain ones. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as you it appears so if my responses seem silly it is because I’m learning .
    • I assume for faster acceleration and lower highway gas consumption.
    • Yup easy enough.
    • I figured they decided against this since they seem to manage the turbos pretty well using the ECU. Doesn’t the VTG allow it to spin up quicker? What would this achieve since they have a flat torque curve starting at 1800rpm?
    • Like a become a four banger on the highway? Ouch.
    • This is really cool. I’ve been wondering when this would come along. Won’t it add weight?
    • This seems very possible to me.
    • Seems way too heavy to me. I’ve wondered how much better it would be.
    • Say it isn’t so .
    • Sure if they bump prices up because it is has the 992 badge. This would surprise me.
    • Tell me more! This is the kind of thing I was wondering about.
    • Probably so this I expected.
    • With a price increase maybe.
    • 22” ugly but I’ll wait and see.
    • Wow. My 991.2 C2S already has large disks and calipers.
    • Interesting! Pretty kewl.
    • Interesting I didn’t notice this.
    • Please say it ain’t so, no glass touch surfaces.
    • Absolutely!! I’m really hopeful they will provide more standard equipment that other charge nothing for, but I doubt this will happen, it is Porsche.
It's just pure speculation, with exception of the obvious things like power increases, increased efficiency and the interior that has been spied already. These are just the kind of additions and changes I can think of that Porsche might implement to increase performance and efficiency of the 911 range, doesn't mean it'll happen exactly like I said. Weight and price increases are pretty much a given, I'd be surprised if 992 turns out to be lighter and cheaper than 991.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:15 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Absolutely not. The only thing shared will be the motors, and of course those will be tweaked.

The 991.2 is simply a facelift of the 991.1. Par for the course for every car maker. The only reason it’s significant at all is because it changed an entire longstanding history of N/A 911’s into mandatory turbos.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

911 would never have air suspension.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Absolutely not. The only thing shared will be the motors, and of course those will be tweaked.

The 991.2 is simply a facelift of the 991.1. Par for the course for every car maker. The only reason it’s significant at all is because it changed an entire longstanding history of N/A 911’s into mandatory turbos.
And the change to turbo was insignificant???????
Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
There were a lot of changes for example the cogs are from the TT/TTS - therefore much stronger gear box, suspension has helper springs plus different spring rates, brakes, steering, rear wheel steering - its a pretty long list when you look into it. Oliver Blume said it was the biggest single leap in performance for the Carrera range.

The 991.2 is much closer to the 992 at least in terms of the engine.

The eight speed PDK will be a thing of beauty - 8 gears means, shorter gears on average which maximises the torque multiplication effect = even quicker on the getaway
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by KBS911
Allow me to quote myself:
"The only reason it’s significant at all is because it changed an entire longstanding history of N/A 911’s into mandatory turbos."

So yes, the change in engine: Very significant. Otherwise, the same chassis with facelift tweaks that is par for the course for about every car. I remember when I had a W211 E Class, M-B said that there were like 1,500 changes for the facelift. The car looked and drove pretty similarly. Go figure. Lots of little underlying tweaks happen for facelifts. The 992 will look very much like a facelifted 991. But once you actually see and sit in the car, *other than the engine,* you'll notice it's clearly a new gen while the 991's, *other than the engine* will be of the same gen.

991.1's carried improved versions of 997.2 engines, and they're clearly entirely different gens. This will be no different.

Originally Posted by groundhog
There were a lot of changes for example the cogs are from the TT/TTS - therefore much stronger gear box, suspension has helper springs plus different spring rates, brakes, steering, rear wheel steering - its a pretty long list when you look into it. Oliver Blume said it was the biggest single leap in performance for the Carrera range.

The 991.2 is much closer to the 992 at least in terms of the engine.

The eight speed PDK will be a thing of beauty - 8 gears means, shorter gears on average which maximises the torque multiplication effect = even quicker on the getaway
*Only in terms of engine. The 991.2 has probably the smallest interior change I've seen any car get for a facelift. I still can't tell what's different (if anything is) when I sit in one, other than the screen of course (which, while different, will be a lot more like the 991.1 screen than the 992 screen) and wheel. The changes to the gearbox had to be done in order to handle the extra low end load. I honestly don't feel much difference at all in PDK performance between the 991's. Slight extra refinement, but I just had a brand new PDK put into my .1 and it in itself is ever so slightly more refined than my previous PDK. PDK's have performed so flawlessly since the 991 came out that every improvement can only be extremely incremental.

I think the 8 speed will be cool too. Will allow for more shifting which I think is a great thing considering our 7 speed gears are so long, you really can't just have that thrill of multiple brap-upshifts without getting to insane speeds. Though there's a fine line between "having to shift too much" and not being able to shift enough.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:42 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I hope the new 8 speed transmission will be shorter ratios for more shifting fun but I have a feeling it will be very similar to the current 7 speed with an extra OD gear for fuel economy...
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by phow
I hope the new 8 speed transmission will be shorter ratios for more shifting fun but I have a feeling it will be very similar to the current 7 speed with an extra OD gear for fuel economy...
SAME. Gears are way too long on the 7 speed. Maybe that's better for track (I'm sure it's a debate) but for spirited street driving, revving and shifting through gears is all the fun.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:21 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

I've been mulling a few things over and I suspect in addition to the relatively modest gains in HP and torque that have being flagged, I suspect Porsche will work hard on the gearing and final reduction gearing.

The eight speed will likely come with shorter gearing in at least the first 6 gears and be added to by a well thought out final drive ratio. Using the mechanical torque multiplier effect of reduced gearing will produce nice dividends particularly when mated with the lightning shift of PDK.

For example on a like for like basis if the final reduction went from the current 3.59 to say 3.97 - the torque increase to the rear wheels would be a very handy 10.6%

Quick Reply: 991.2 closer to 992 than 991.1?