Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a Function-First shift knob in GT3 T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a Function-First shift **** in GT3 T?

I am looking into different shift ***** for my new GT3 Touring, and came across Function-First products. They look well made, and appear shorter in height vs the factory shifter, which would translate into a slightly shorter throw. They are offered in either billet aluminum or delrin, and have different color choices for the shift pattern. Does anyone have any experience with these shifters, and has anyone installed one in a gt3?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I would post in the GT3 forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r-229/

This forum is for the next generation Porsche 911 which has not been release yet.

Last edited by subshooter; 03-21-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I would post in the GT3 forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r-229/

This forum is for the next generation Porsche 911 which has not been release yet.
... oops! Thank you
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

For the record, I have a FF shift **** on a GT4. Love, love love it. "Feels" like it reduces shift throw, which is a function first of (see what I did there) the lower **** itself -- the OEM unit is just physically tall, while the FF is perfectly round and shorter, and secondly, the FF is also drilled up into itseself somewhat before the threads start, so it is even "shorter" above the end of the shift lever than it seems.

In the end, it does absolutely nothing for performance, shifting, etc. It doesn't even feel "better" to me; it feels "different" than the OEM, but I like both. I mainly bought it originally because I wanted to save the fur on the suede OEM shifter for future value (I mean way, way down the road.) But if I had to choose one to drive just for me from now on, I'd choose to keep the FF unit. The round cue-ball just feels perfect in my hand. I have a similar design from a different company in my Wrangler because I love the feel.

As to which finish... I first bought a black Delrin with red engraved shift pattern. Loved it and used it for a week or two. But I could never get the aluminum with red out of my mind. I'd not ordered it originally for fear of it getting too hot. After a week or two I decided to give it a try so ordered that one. I like it a little better than the delrin as a matter of personal preference so I left that one on.

So my preference ranking was 1) aluminum, 2 delrin, 3. OEM. But the delta is very small between each -- I like all the shifters.

That said, if you or anyone else happens to want a black delrin with red six-speed pattern at a discount, give me a shout.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Function-First shift knob in GT3 T?