Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

TTS Cab vs Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 08:14 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 710 Posts
Default TTS Cab vs Coupe

I looked at a Chalk TTS cab today which blew me away in the photos but in person I liked it, didn't love it. It could have been because it was parked in a sea of other 911's and it was dirty. "Engine" access seemed foreign coming from a coupe and looked like it would be a tad annoying getting hands on in there when working on the car.

What is the Cab experience like driving with the top down? Specifically with a nice exhaust. Is handling compromised compared to a coupe when *not at the limit? The top had a big white stain on it which looked like dried wax, how susceptible is the top to wear and is it easy to keep clean? Any wind noise or whistling from the top where it meets the front windows/windshield?

Lastly, the steering wheel was so huge in this car it looked like it belonged on a boat. Does Porsche sell a smaller diameter GT Sport wheel like they did in the 991.2?

I've never owned a Cab before and I want the experience but don't want small things to add up leading to regret. Thoughts and inputs anyone?
Old 09-11-2024, 09:17 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 211 Posts

- get it - own it - you'll know after a few thousand miles if its for you or not

- coming from an s2000, corvette convertible, and now a tts cab - the nit pics you speak of mean nothing to cause me to not want a convertible

- steering wheel issue with size (?).....nahhh

Good Luck with your decision process
The following 2 users liked this post by RD16RR:
911dude41 (09-11-2024), HOTCHKIS (09-16-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 09:29 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,210 Posts

[QUOTE=911dude41;19643586]I looked at a Chalk TTS cab today which blew me away in the photos but in person I liked it, didn't love it. It could have been because it was parked in a sea of other 911's and it was dirty.
Coupes always look better than their cab counterparts. On the flip side its a small price to pay for the awesome feeling of an "open cockpit" in crisp 60-80 degree weather especially in a TTS. There's no better "grand touring" experience IMO. "Engine" access seemed foreign coming from a coupe and looked like it would be a tad annoying getting hands on in there when working on the car. No idea what youre referring to.

What is the Cab experience like driving with the top down? Specifically with a nice exhaust. See above. Is handling compromised compared to a coupe when *not at the limit? The top had a big white stain on it which looked like dried wax, how susceptible is the top to wear and is it easy to keep clean? No idea on restoration but maintenance was pretty straight forward. Its a canvas cloth. It will wear worse than an aluminim/glass/carbon roof. Any wind noise or whistling from the top where it meets the front windows/windshield? No.

Lastly, the steering wheel was so huge in this car it looked like it belonged on a boat. Does Porsche sell a smaller diameter GT Sport wheel like they did in the 991.2?
Has nothing to do with coupe vs cab. And no.

I've never owned a Cab before and I want the experience but don't want small things to add up leading to regret. Thoughts and inputs anyone? If you cant have both, you're either a cab guy or a coupe guy. [/QUOTE]
Old 09-11-2024, 09:58 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 184 Posts

I had a 991.1 TTS Coupe and now have a 992.1 TTS Cab. Love the Cab. I think the Coupe looks better, and the shelf behind the rear seats adds a nice little bit of extra carrying capacity. Other than that, I love everything about the Cab. It doesn't feel compromised at all, and the open air driving experience is great. And the headroom is awesome as well.
The following users liked this post:
911dude41 (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 10:09 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
If you cant have both, you're either a cab guy or a coupe guy.
Yoda has spoken.

Last edited by Butzi; 09-11-2024 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 08:45 AM
fantom557
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 120 Posts

You can always get both
Old 09-12-2024, 09:29 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 442 Posts

In a matter of words, you said you're getting a cab. Please post pics and your initial ownership experience after you've had it for a month. Life is very very short, get what you want now, if you can. You may regret it later in life if you don't.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:35 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 274 Likes on 247 Posts

A convertible is an excellent option in a state with good weather, like California.

However, I live in Las Vegas, and we only have one or two good months each year where the weather is perfect for driving with the top down.

For me, it’s not worth it. Plus, I think the coupe looks better overall.
elvisdoc (09-16-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 10:17 AM
JSF721
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive a 2011 TTS cab and it’s a weekend and road trip car for me. I love the cab on the nice days. I have tracked my cars, but not this one. I think there would be a difference in stiffness but this chassis is tight and suited for very spirited driving. I know my way around a corner and this car is plenty capable and connected for any fun you may opt for on public roads.

If it were more of a daily driver I’d opt for the hard top.
For how I used it-I love it.

Noise is not an issue even in sport mode. I’m stock for reference.

The wife loves the cab. She’d do it again for sure.

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I looked at a Chalk TTS cab today which blew me away in the photos but in person I liked it, didn't love it. It could have been because it was parked in a sea of other 911's and it was dirty. "Engine" access seemed foreign coming from a coupe and looked like it would be a tad annoying getting hands on in there when working on the car.

What is the Cab experience like driving with the top down? Specifically with a nice exhaust. Is handling compromised compared to a coupe when *not at the limit? The top had a big white stain on it which looked like dried wax, how susceptible is the top to wear and is it easy to keep clean? Any wind noise or whistling from the top where it meets the front windows/windshield?

I've never owned a Cab before and I want the experience but don't want small things to add up leading to regret. Thoughts and inputs anyone?
cptcolo0 (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 08:57 AM
HOTCHKIS
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm in the middle of a 2200 mile northeast tour and enjoying every minute of it with the top down and up. My exhaust is stock and plenty loud in sport or sport + with the top down. Has a real nice ROAR to it with the top down when I get on it. I'm in FL so can use the Cabriolet frequently. I took a friend's son for a ride and scared him when launching it.

Last edited by HOTCHKIS; 09-16-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:23 AM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS
I'm in FL so can use the Cabriolet frequently.
I'm a daily driver here in Florida too and this comment does not compute for me. The weather here June 1 through October and sometimes even thru November is basically like the surface of the sun.....with 90% humidity. No way I could enjoy a top down car in this heat. Seems like we might have about 1 week you could enjoy it but you must be tougher than me. Cheaper to cut on the heater in summer. Now take it to North Carolina and I get it. But here? I'll stick with my Coupe. But in the end, both are great so drive what you love.

Last edited by elvisdoc; 09-16-2024 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:12 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 574 Posts

Over time, cab may cost more if you hold the car for some time, i.e. top replacements, mechanical maintenance if an issue occurs......

Additionally a canvas top shows its age, especially if not stored correctly, i.e. top up in garage, etc....this ages the overall look of the car too, i.e. canvas top creases, worn spots, etc...

I used my cab daily for 10 years through all kinds of weather, snow, rain, etc.....held up great - 2 tops in 25 years, but area where I have spent the most money in maintenance, although modern top mechanics are much much better than a 993 cab mechanism design......

All this said, once you have a cab, you will always want to have one and a cab 911 may be a long term keeper.........911 coupes usually hold their value better than cabs, if that is a concern

I have gone through coupes, but have kept my cab as the coupes have come and gone........good luck with the decision......really can't lose either way.......
cptcolo0 (09-17-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 11:32 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 291 Posts

I am on my second TTS cab, And I have had three other 911’s that were all cabriolets. I live in the north east, and I get a fair amount of good days to drive the car. Even when it’s hot out, I don’t have an issue putting the top down with the air conditioning on, and the seats ventilating. You’re not gonna really be working on the car other than maybe oil changes. Most everything else is done from the rear or underneath. To access the panel for oil changes is a little more difficult but not really anything remarkable.
The top down experience is great especially on wide-open throttle. The sports exhaust sounds really good the way it is. As far as top wear is concerned, I echo the advice of the people above. I always store my car with the top in the opposition. My top is still in really great shape and my car has about 10,000 miles on it. As far as when noise is concerned, they have done a fantastic job in engineering the wind to go around the car. It’s remarkable how quiet it is even with the top down regarding wind noise that is.
The steering wheel is the steering wheel. It’s the standard wheel that they all come with. I think it is great.

Chalk over graphite blue and blue top.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 09-17-2024 at 11:34 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by neil.schneider:
911dude41 (09-18-2024), abiazis (09-17-2024), dwi (09-19-2024), HOTCHKIS (09-17-2024), Just J (09-18-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 12:07 PM
HOTCHKIS
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by elvisdoc
I'm a daily driver here in Florida too and this comment does not compute for me. The weather here June 1 through October and sometimes even thru November is basically like the surface of the sun.....with 90% humidity. No way I could enjoy a top down car in this heat. Seems like we might have about 1 week you could enjoy it but you must be tougher than me. Cheaper to cut on the heater in summer. Now take it to North Carolina and I get it. But here? I'll stick with my Coupe. But in the end, both are great so drive what you love.
Ok I guess that's why it's my opinion!
Old 09-18-2024, 11:18 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 710 Posts

This thread just made things even more difficult lol. I live in a sunny state with less than 60 days a year of "rain" if you even want to call it that.

Thank you for the replies. Neil, amazing photos.

Quick Reply: TTS Cab vs Coupe