992 Turbo S Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 08:26 PM
Delga
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 992 Turbo S Transmission Issue

Hi All

Was wondering if anyone here would be able to kindly shed some light on an issue I’ve been having.

Have purchased a new 992 Turbo S about three weeks ago and it’s amazing, however seem to be having an issue in the last few days with the PDK.

for context, the car had 18 miles on the clock when I bought it as it was a cancelled order, and have put about 250 miles on it in the last couple weeks.

In the last few days, driving in normal mode around the city and some highway, in automatic mode it’s holding onto the gears quite a lot. It won’t really shift past 4th gear going steadily at 35mph, and it won’t even let me manually shift past 4th gear using the paddles (at around 35mph). The same type of thing on the highway where it keeps hold of the gears longer than it should in normal mode and won’t even go into 8th gear at 70mph (and won’t let me manually upshift to 8th).

in contrast, a few days ago I’d be in 6th gear in automatic going down the same road at 35 mph, and would be in 8th gear on the highway with no issues.

don’t know if this is a break in type of thing where it’s trying to vary the revs for the first few hundred miles, however it’s also meaning I’m going through a tank of fuel a lot faster than normal too.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by Delga; 07-13-2024 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:52 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,095 Likes on 653 Posts

You’re lugging it man. This is a Turbo Porsche, not a Civic.
Old 07-14-2024, 07:42 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't even drive in "normal mode" in my driveway, I find the car no fun to drive in normal mode, but then again maybe you have to be normal to drive in normal mode and that leaves me out
Old 07-14-2024, 08:15 AM
Delga
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Angryinch
You’re lugging it man. This is a Turbo Porsche, not a Civic.
Thanks but as I said this is with the PDK in auto, so I doubt I’d be lugging it?
Old 07-14-2024, 12:28 PM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Delga
Thanks but as I said this is with the PDK in auto, so I doubt I’d be lugging it?
Normal mode is to achieve maximum mileage per gallon, and I find it annoying even in town: definitely lugs when leaving lights. I only drive the first 10 minutes in that mode and move to Sport as soon as the fluids are warm. If I am traveling a long ways on the freeway, I will go back to Normal, but only after reaching cruising speed.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:50 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

I think you bought the wrong car if you’re driving around in normal mode during break in and worried about using more fuel lol.

Old 07-14-2024, 01:09 PM
Delga
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Angryinch
I think you bought the wrong car if you’re driving around in normal mode during break in and worried about using more fuel lol.
I’m not worried about using more fuel, just saying that’s a symptom of the car holding the gears in normal mode which it’s not meant to be doing. Also not sure why me choosing to follow break in procedure bothers you enough to write unhelpful comments but to each their own 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 07-14-2024, 02:13 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

If PDK is cold, it will hold gears to create heat and warm up.

Try sport mode… normal mode lugs the car and is not great for break in at all.

you need load and engine breaking to break in the engine, light loads at low rpm and literally the worst way to break in an engine.
The following users liked this post:
digs (07-16-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 06:25 PM
Breen
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi All

Was wondering if anyone here would be able to kindly shed some light on an issue I’ve been having.

Have purchased a new 992 Turbo S about three weeks ago and it’s amazing, however seem to be having an issue in the last few days with the PDK.

for context, the car had 18 miles on the clock when I bought it as it was a cancelled order, and have put about 250 miles on it in the last couple weeks.

In the last few days, driving in normal mode around the city and some highway, in automatic mode it’s holding onto the gears quite a lot. It won’t really shift past 4th gear going steadily at 35mph, and it won’t even let me manually shift past 4th gear using the paddles (at around 35mph). The same type of thing on the highway where it keeps hold of the gears longer than it should in normal mode and won’t even go into 8th gear at 70mph (and won’t let me manually upshift to 8th).

in contrast, a few days ago I’d be in 6th gear in automatic going down the same road at 35 mph, and would be in 8th gear on the highway with no issues.

don’t know if this is a break in type of thing where it’s trying to vary the revs for the first few hundred miles, however it’s also meaning I’m going through a tank of fuel a lot faster than normal too.

sounds like driver error/neuroticism
The following 2 users liked this post by Breen:
Angryinch (07-14-2024), imahobo (07-25-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 06:21 PM
hu992tts
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All

Does your car have OPF?
My car did the same from the very begining and i figured it out, that
all these are related to the OPF and the way, how the ECU deals with OPF and exhaust gas.
On one hand the ECU monitors the pressure difference before and after the OPF and if it feels that your OPF is getting clucked, than it starts to
regenerate the OPF. As your car is a new car, this is not the case.
On other hand the ECU monitors different things (like ignition, fueling, load, exhaust temp, etc) and calculets the unburn particles in exhaust gas.
If the ECU thinks, that the exhaust gas contains unburnt particles larger amount than it should be, than the ECU starts to increase the exhaust temperature with increased rpm and ignitions.

During short and moderated trips this happens often, therefore i suggest you to use sport mode.
In longer trips with higher rpms it does not happen as the exhaust gas is hotter.
Old 07-16-2024, 06:31 PM
Delga
4th Gear

Originally Posted by hu992tts
Does your car have OPF?
My car did the same from the very begining and i figured it out, that
all these are related to the OPF and the way, how the ECU deals with OPF and exhaust gas.
On one hand the ECU monitors the pressure difference before and after the OPF and if it feels that your OPF is getting clucked, than it starts to
regenerate the OPF. As your car is a new car, this is not the case.
On other hand the ECU monitors different things (like ignition, fueling, load, exhaust temp, etc) and calculets the unburn particles in exhaust gas.
If the ECU thinks, that the exhaust gas contains unburnt particles larger amount than it should be, than the ECU starts to increase the exhaust temperature with increased rpm and ignitions.

During short and moderated trips this happens often, therefore i suggest you to use sport mode.
In longer trips with higher rpms it does not happen as the exhaust gas is hotter.
Thanks so much for the response - it does have OPF filter. So basically it’s a symptom of me doing mainly short trips recently as well?

Does Driving in sport mode for the time being help with burning off the particles and clearing it?

did yours go back to normal after a while?

Thanks again
Old 07-17-2024, 03:52 AM
Frobisher
4th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans issue

I have a 2023 911 TTS. The issue you describe seems like there’s actually something wrong with the transmission. If you say that the vehicle was performing properly when you first received it. It makes sense to me that you shouldn’t be encountering shifting problems, just weeks later. I think you need to take it back to a dealer and have them check it out. I’m sure it would come under the warranty repair. And then at least you’d have peace of mind if they told you it was just some highly unusual, temporary problem. And if there’s something wrong, they should be in a position to fix it. Good luck!
BudFox6 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 11:48 AM
CM991
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Frobisher
I have a 2023 911 TTS. The issue you describe seems like there’s actually something wrong with the transmission. If you say that the vehicle was performing properly when you first received it. It makes sense to me that you shouldn’t be encountering shifting problems, just weeks later. I think you need to take it back to a dealer and have them check it out. I’m sure it would come under the warranty repair. And then at least you’d have peace of mind if they told you it was just some highly unusual, temporary problem. And if there’s something wrong, they should be in a position to fix it. Good luck!
I agree here. The vehicle should be responding to your manual shifts inputs.
BudFox6 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 05:51 PM
hu992tts
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for the response - it does have OPF filter. So basically it’s a symptom of me doing mainly short trips recently as well?

Does Driving in sport mode for the time being help with burning off the particles and clearing it?

did yours go back to normal after a while?

Thanks again
Bingo! All of your symptons are related to OPF and exhaust gas treatment. This is by design, you cannot change it.
Your transmission is not faulty. Altough it is very strange that Porsche designed this way and you cannot upshift manually if the car's OPF/exhaust gas treatment is dialing in.
In colder days (for example in winter) the car does it more frequently than in hotter days (ie during summer).

To eliminate this I use my car in sport mode during short or moderate trips (under 100kmh) every time and this "strange" behaivour
stays away...

I hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: 992 Turbo S Transmission Issue